Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2014, 14:46   #61

Boat: Great Barrier 48
Re: Maneuverability of a Full Keel Sailboat when backing

I'm a long keel fan but many arguments for being otherwise. In the UK magazine Practical Boat Owner this month is an article about manoeuvring long keelers in marinas.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
PappiRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 21:38   #62

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Actually, I backed away from a wall just a couple days ago. Wind <5kt over the stern, docked starboard side to, right hand prop. Someone actually asked if I had twin screws, or a bow thruster, because my movement was an almost perfect lateral crab away from the wall. Of course the electric drive helped, because there is no minimum idle speed.

Not saying the classic spring maneuver isn't a good one. It is extremely effective. But I am often or I should say mostly singlehanded, and I dislike scrambling back and forth between the bow and helm. I am more likely, actually, to back against an after spring than come ahead against a forward spring, because I can work the line from the cockpit while I tend throttle and rudder. Depends on circumstances. Sometimes a judicious shove from the appropriate spot in the appropriate direction is the most valuable tool at my disposal. Sometimes the rudder is more useful while making sternway with the prop stopped. More than one way to skin a cat, and being familiar and practiced with them all makes one a better boat handler.
I single hand an Alberg 35 and backing against an after spring is how I normally get away from parallel docks. As you say, it lets me work everything without going forward.

Backing out of my slip I use a line from a stern cleat to a cleat on the port dock to a winch. I let it run until the bow is almost out then harden up. This turns the boat, I release the line at the stern and recover on the winch. It's very effective
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 23:55   #63

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The Alberg 30 is such a sweet little boat, whatever challenges you face in backing (and you will overcome) will soon be forgotten once you are out sailing.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, sail, sailboat