Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 08:13   #31

Boat: Shopping
Re: Making A Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Jim, a Froli does a decent job of emulating a "Box spring" what we call them down South, I'm not sure if that is the proper term or not.
We have a Purple mattress in our house (three layers of super-secret foam). No box spring required. Purple prefers a solid surface, or slats close together.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:38   #32

We started putting some air space under our boat mattresses 20 years ago and would never go back. The mattress stays much fresher because the moisture has someplace to go.

While the Froli is nice, for $100 and an hour with a hand saw to cut the slats to length I think the Ikea solution is far better. The bent beech slats "give" just the right amount, can be adjusted on each side to body shape and weight, and it rolls up to give access to under the bed storage. I've been using it for 10 years with no expectation of needing a new one.

Like any retailer, Ikea has some great and not so great products. I agree about the previous recommendation for their top-of-the-line latex mattress. Much better quality than the P/E owned Serta, Simmons et all. And at a fraction of the cost elsewhere. It's all I have in my ashore home.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
What? How can you say that? Neigh I say! The meatballs are a definite must!

And where else can you get a top shelf lingonberry beverage?
Neigh is the sound horses make. I think you meant nay.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:44   #34

Boat: PDQ 36

I get too hot when I sleep, so I wonder about something like the cool gel mattresses. Looking around most of them are 10"-12" far too thick for the boat's bunk, but I did find one that is made for a sofa bed...4".

Cool Gel 4.5 Inch Gel Memory Foam Sofa Bed Mattress - Sleepy's

I wonder if something like that would work well? 4" doesn't seem like much, but it could have another firm foam pad underneath.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:50   #35

Boat: Kaufman 47

I'm not 100%, but aren't latex mattresses are much cooler than their petroleum counterparts(ie memory foam).

Also, bamboo sheets are supposedly the coolest of materials for sheets for hot sleepers.

They make a rigid filter, wirey looking matting to put under mattresses to keep ventilation going. Can't remember the name though
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:12   #36

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"

For those in Southern Ontario, there is a mattress making factory in Hamilton called CJ Mullholland. They have several options so you suit yourself re what you like in a mattress. When you've decided, bring in the old mattress and they'll use it as a template. The fit was perfect and the price much less than what I've seen at boat shows. This worked so well and the mattress was so comfortable that, upon returning from a four week trip on the boat, I had them build another one for our bed at home.

Full disclosure: I have no interest in this business nor do I have relatives or friends working there.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:24   #37

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I'm not 100%, but aren't latex mattresses are much cooler than their petroleum counterparts(ie memory foam).

Also, bamboo sheets are supposedly the coolest of materials for sheets for hot sleepers.

They make a rigid filter, wirey looking matting to put under mattresses to keep ventilation going. Can't remember the name though
Found it! It's called Hypervent.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...186&id=1818021
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 13:09   #38

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Guys, to read a bit about some of the products & tools that are available to assist with mattress/bunk ventillation, check out this post in wrwakefield / SV Denali Rose's excellent blog http://svdenalirosenc43.blogspot.com...in-cooler.html

Also, if you do a search on here. You'll come up with tons of information, to even include installing small fans in bunk fronts, coupled with a grid pattern of holes in the bunk top, to gain some serious ventillation.

As to foam & mattresses, you don't always get what you pay for. I had a Tempurpedic at home that started to break down after only 6 months, which, for $500+ sucked!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 13:23   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Neigh is the sound horses make. I think you meant nay.
I think he knew exactly what he wrote.

You might like to google Ikea meatballs and horsemeat
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 13:27   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, we've dealt with the moisture problem differently. At first we used sea grass doormats for the air spacer, but Jim didn't like the smell. So, what we did next, was to get a 10 mm (3/8") closed cell foam double size camping mat. Now that is the bottom layer, and no more trouble with mildew. It has been satisfactory for us.

With our complaining about the foam quality, it may be a supply issue here in Oz, limited availability of products due to lower population density. Oz passed a law about 20 years back, that had to do with making the foam fireproof, and the longevity of the foam diminished considerably. C'est la vie.

Ann
Old 01-11-2016, 13:33   #41

Boat: PDQ 36

my feelings exactly!!
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 15:17   #42

Boat: Camano Troll

Anyone can cut a hunk of foam. The real trick is to get the correct foam in the first place, cut it accurately and most of all, sew a proper, tight fitting covering.

It all depends on your skill level and the tools you have available, but I had mine custom made at a local mattress factory and it looks good and feels good. I'm not sorry I paid to have it made.
Old 01-11-2016, 15:26   #43

Boat: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge, Boston Whaler 235 Conquest
Thumbs up Making A Mattress

Subscribed!
Old 01-11-2016, 17:36   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Anyone can cut a hunk of foam. The real trick is to get the correct foam in the first place, cut it accurately and most of all, sew a proper, tight fitting covering.

It all depends on your skill level and the tools you have available, but I had mine custom made at a local mattress factory and it looks good and feels good. I'm not sorry I paid to have it made.
I'm really glad you got something you're pleased with.

We had bad luck with doing that, the foam was not cut to our measurements, and they did not cover the mattress properly, and the cover shrunk when washed, and I had specified that they pre-shrink it, which they did not do. Since then, it has been easier to do it myself. It is a simple job, imo.

However, if you want it to look professional, you do need to take care while making it.

Ann
Old 01-11-2016, 18:48   #45

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
...if you want it to look professional, you do need to take care while making it.

Ann
As far back as I can remember I've always liked standing back & looking at what I built with my hands. It's satisfying to build something new, or fix something that's broke.

The truly nice part comes when you get good enough so that people ask you "Where did you purchased X, & where can they buy one"?

Just thinking of those moments gives me one of those priceless smiles.

DIY Rocks!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote