Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2013, 23:22   #1

Boat: ‘92 Carver 33 Aft Cabin
Major leap of faith... Call me crazy (I don't care!)

I've been reading, dreaming, studying, fantasizing, researching -- everything I can about living aboard -- for the past 3 years. The trouble is, I'm landlocked, have no experience, am female, single (recently divorced) and middle-aged (ugh!! I hate that term -- still feel 29!). But the sea is in my blood, and I know it's where I belong. I spent all my childhood summers on an island in Maine with my grandparents, I have my father's adventuresome spirit (he had his own sailboat and a plane) and my mother's strength and survival skills. I'm so ready to make that leap into the unknown that it's making me crazy! Actually, friends and family who see what direction I'm heading are beginning to question my sanity lately. ...And I don't care!!!
I'm just SO ready to find my boat and the life I'm meant to be living!

...Just putting it out there to see what the Universe tosses back.
wanderingloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 00:15   #2

Re: Major leap of faith... Call me crazy (I don't care!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingloon View Post
I've been reading, dreaming, studying, fantasizing, researching -- everything I can about living aboard -- for the past 3 years. The trouble is, I'm landlocked, have no experience, am female, single (recently divorced) and middle-aged (ugh!! I hate that term -- still feel 29!). But the sea is in my blood, and I know it's where I belong. I spent all my childhood summers on an island in Maine with my grandparents, I have my father's adventuresome spirit (he had his own sailboat and a plane) and my mother's strength and survival skills. I'm so ready to make that leap into the unknown that it's making me crazy! Actually, friends and family who see what direction I'm heading are beginning to question my sanity lately. ...And I don't care!!!
I'm just SO ready to find my boat and the life I'm meant to be living!

In X number of yrs you will be...lets say 70. The question then becomes whether at 70 you look back and wonder if you should have, or look back in wonder that you did.
Your choice.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 00:33   #3

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Id say Go do it. but do a week first either training or hire a skipper and boat to see if it is in your blood and you enjoy it and dont get seasick.

look back in life and think what did you not try thats now to late? and then think what you did do but did not workout (even a failed marriage has times of non regret)

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 00:47   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

Your beautiful- I mean in your words too. Run away to sea with me! ( wow I never say stuff like that- excuse me) But seriously, follow the dream. No one has ever died regretting they didn't get that last promotion. Let your insanity take hold and own it! Start browsing yacht world. Get some sailing lessons. Even if its only on cats or dinghies on a local river or lake. That, for the time being, will increase your learning curve. But keep the process going- the dream can only die if you let it..

On a side note, Wanderingloon is a great name for a boat too :-D

A great read is a book called "occupation circumnavigator". Perhaps one of the best "sell up and sail" books I have ever read.

Good luck and remember that everyone here is really friendly. We all love the water and boats and will talk about both for hours on end.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 00:57   #5

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31
Quote:
I've been reading, dreaming, studying, fantasizing, researching -- everything I can about living aboard -- for the past 3 years. The trouble is, I'm landlocked, have no experience, am female, single (recently divorced) and middle-aged (ugh!! I hate that term -- still feel 29!). But the sea is in my blood, and I know it's where I belong. I spent all my childhood summers on an island in Maine with my grandparents, I have my father's adventuresome spirit (he had his own sailboat and a plane) and my mother's strength and survival skills. I'm so ready to make that leap into the unknown that it's making me crazy! Actually, friends and family who see what direction I'm heading are beginning to question my sanity lately. ...And I don't care!!! I'm just SO ready to find my boat and the life I'm meant to be living! ...Just putting it out there to see what the Universe tosses back.
I was widowed earlier this year and left with a 31ft sailboat in Greece. I decided to try and sail single handed ( I'm 67) . I made a few mistakes at first and there were a few things I had to do differently than when there were two of us. I gave up going into marinas, just went from anchorage to anchorage where there's plenty of room for mistakes. I sailed and lived on the boat all summer and didn't regret a moment. I'll be going back next year and spending even more time there.
So I'd say go for it, you have the right approach and mentality: an adventuresome spirit, and strength and survival skills will take you a long way. Don't be afraid to ask for help though, the sailing community of both men and women are usually very helpful and it's a great way to meet new friends.
I have a blog you might like to look at. I'm not allowed to post a direct link here but you can google yachtswoman.blogspot.se then you'll find it.
Aquarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 01:14   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

you are exactly where i was 12 years ago -- had never even been on a sailboat and lived in dallas -- with girlfriend went to clear lake tx and took asa 101 sailing lesson - got hooked - then took 2 more asa courses from chris day at sw fla yacht and charters - chartered a couple of times the in 2003 bought my first and only boat a new Jeanneau ds40 - New because it was a tax deduction and because i did not know how to take care of a boat
6 years ago sold up and sailed out - now after sailing the entire caribbean, across the atlantic and now in then med it was the best decision i ever made -
most of my friends and family think this is a waste so i blew them off and got a whole new family and friends from around the world - at age 68 i feel younger than when i was in my 50s and it was by far the greatest decision i ever made -
how much longer can we go - that is in the hands of God but wow what a great ride --
want more thoughts pm me

just our thoughts and opinions
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in port yasmine hammamet tunisia for the winter
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 01:32   #7

Boat: Lagoon TPI

Follow your heart and dreams, tackle the problems (if any) as they arise ! You will be pleasantly surprised at the help and comfort given by those who share the sea.
In short "go for it" you are only here once !
All from experience !!!
An Old Pirate
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 02:08   #8

Go for it. If you are meant to be a sailor, it shall be. Ask for help when you need it and 98% will deliver. YOLO
Kahuna George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 08:20   #9

Boat: Slocum 43

As the commercial says... Just do it!!
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:39   #10

[QUOTE=wanderingloon;1377873! Actually, friends and family who see what direction I'm heading are beginning to question my sanity lately. ...And I don't care!!! [/QUOTE]

I would question your friends' and family's sanity.
MaryEllenCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:46   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

I'm sure there are dozens of eligible sailor bachelors out there. Seems quite routine for a couple to go out cruising and for one to like it (mostly the men) but the partner didn't and the marriage falls apart... What you need is a list of those boats! ;-)
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:57   #12

Hi all. My first post but thought I had to join in with this one. Been thinking of selling up and sailing for a long time. But my son was still at college, (I am a single parent). He has just finished so in the last 3 months done our competent crew course in the solent and nearly finished our day skipper courses. Past the theory need a bit more experience in the practical side. . Best thing we have ever done, loved every minute of it. ..

If any one needs some crew for a day or weekend sail, (we are from the east Midlands). Give us a call. ..
Andy
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:10   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodle-oo! View Post
I'm sure there are dozens of eligible sailor bachelors out there. Seems quite routine for a couple to go out cruising and for one to like it (mostly the men) but the partner didn't and the marriage falls apart... What you need is a list of those boats! ;-)
Excellent!
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:13   #14

Meant to say I am 55 and last time I sailed I was about 20...
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:17   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:

Where the universe becomes a sailing forum you can expect the answer is to get a boat and get on with it

Tags
cal