Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 08:50   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Looky Loos and What to Do About Them

Google translated

"Illegal threat
If a person raises a weapon against another or otherwise threatens another offense under such conditions that the threats down is a good reason to own or for someone else to worry about personal safety or property to be at serious risk , he shall be deemed illegal the threat of committing . Menace sentenced to a fine or imprisonment of up to two years.

The public prosecutor may not prosecute the menace , if the victim reports the offense or, if not used in lethal instrument for making illegal threats or coercion , or if not overriding public interest does not require prosecution . "
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 08:51   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Just google search "google translate to English"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:04   #123
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

That law is specific in that you can not raise a weapon as a threat. The person you countered against did not raise a weapon; he just showed a sign.

Also, for the "otherwise" part, it clearly shows to something closely related to raising a weapon and doing so in an offensive role, not for defense. Pointing a crossbow is illegal, not hanging up a sign of a skull with a written threat.

Also, pointing a crossbow from your own property to somebody who is in an offensive role towards you is not illegal I think. You may get a fine for having an illegal weapon, but not for using it in your defense. This is a constitutional right to defend yourself, your family and property.

I think you are fanatically against firearms like so many in Europe, but remember that we desperately need them against criminals and terrorists; today even more so than in the years past.

(I am Dutch BTW so this is not a US pov, but I served armed a long time ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Finnish law

"Laiton uhkaus
Mikäli henkilö nostaa aseen toista vastaan tai muulla tavoin uhkaa toista rikoksella sellaisissa olosuhteissa, että uhatulla on perusteltu syy omasta tai toisen puolesta pelätä henkilökohtaisen turvallisuuden tai omaisuuden olevan vakavassa vaarassa, katsotaan hänen syyllistyvän laittomaan uhkaukseen. Laittomasta uhkauksesta tuomitaan sakkoa tai vankeutta enintään kaksi vuotta.

Virallinen syyttäjä ei saa nostaa syytettä laittomasta uhkauksesta, ellei asianomistaja ilmoita sitä syytteeseen pantavaksi tai ellei laittoman uhkauksen tai pakottamisen tekemiseen ole käytetty hengenvaarallista välinettä taikka ellei erittäin tärkeä yleinen etu vaadi syytteen nostamista."

Dunno how to use google translate, maybe someone.. Pretty much the same in most European countries.

BR Teddy
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 12:13   #124
CLOD

Boat: none

Aren't boaters scary people? Even our signs can hurt people.
Old 21-04-2016, 12:24   #125

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
To keep them off your boat, go to a feed store and buy a fence charger and wire. Install and link to metal rails and lines, warn people you like, and keep the dock and stairs watered down for a good ground.
Just like a cow, eventually they'll figure it out.
Seems like there may now be a link between the dangers of these two threads meeting.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...de-163530.html

Be vewwy, vewwy careful.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 13:13   #126

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That law is specific in that you can not raise a weapon as a threat. The person you countered against did not raise a weapon; he just showed a sign.

Also, for the "otherwise" part, it clearly shows to something closely related to raising a weapon and doing so in an offensive role, not for defense. Pointing a crossbow is illegal, not hanging up a sign of a skull with a written threat.

Also, pointing a crossbow from your own property to somebody who is in an offensive role towards you is not illegal I think. You may get a fine for having an illegal weapon, but not for using it in your defense. This is a constitutional right to defend yourself, your family and property.

I think you are fanatically against firearms like so many in Europe, but remember that we desperately need them against criminals and terrorists; today even more so than in the years past.

(I am Dutch BTW so this is not a US pov, but I served armed a long time ago).
Nope I'm not against firearms. I own one, been hunting previously in my life, I've been in the army and was the best marksman in my NCO course. What I'm against are stupid obsessions about guns. The way I was raised was to never threaten or point a gun to anything but with intend to kill, so I take also such threaths by others very seriously and might act accordingly.
I understand when it's a stupid joke to put a sign but not everybody does and if that someone feels frightened and reports that it will be investigated and even if you don't own a gun it will take a while before you are allowed to go on and the sign taken away..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 13:52   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Finnish law

Mikäli henkilö nostaa aseen toista vastaan tai muulla tavoin uhkaa toista rikoksella sellaisissa olosuhteissa, että uhatulla on perusteltu syy omasta tai toisen puolesta pelätä henkilökohtaisen turvallisuuden tai omaisuuden olevan vakavassa vaarassa,
If a person wields a weapon against another or in another way threatens another with a crime, to the point that the person has reason to believe his/her personal safety or property is at risk,

I think the thing here is person, not a sign posted by a person, luulisin

--
How about a sign:
Any person boarding is subject to disinfection process.
Image of shower head and brush.
Remove your clothes, use the brush in the bucket, the shower will start automatically as you step on the gangway.
Military grade, safe for humans and most animals.

Then have a old shower head tied to the shroud and a motion detector activate it if someone gets to close.

On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 16:53   #128

Boat: Vagabond 14

Autonomous Paintball Sentry Gun

Revise it to operate SuperSoakers filled with ketchup.

Hang signs:

Caution
automated defense system active
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote