Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 22:24   #1

Looking to rent and liveaboard ... bucket list!

Ideas? Tips? Referrals?
I currently live in Raleigh and am eagerly seeking to find a sailboat for rent that I can liveaboard. If you know of anyone who has a decent docked boat and might want someone responsible to help take care of it, that would be me!

I would spend 1-2 weeks/month on the boat and the other time back in Raleigh for work.

I have owned a 28' and a 30' Catalina when I lived in Florida. When I moved to NC a few years ago, I had to get rid of my boat. I miss her and I miss being on the H2O. While I'm still single and flexible, this is the time to finally live on a boat for a few months. Ideally, I'd want to give it a try for 6 months.

*** If you know of anyone who has a good/great condition boat that would consider me paying them to liveaboard, please let me know. I'll pay you $500 for a referral. I work professionally, have a masters/doctorate degree and own my own business. I'll treat her as good as my own.
CarolinaDelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 09:19   #2
JMK

Boat: Vancouver 28
Re: Looking to rent and liveaboard ... bucket list!

Years ago, before we bought our first liveaboard boat, my wife suggested that we do something similar. I looked at her and told her something like, "Asking a sailor to rent out his boat would be something like asking a man to rent out his wife." The dearth of responses to your query suggests that maybe there's a lot of other sailors with a similar point of view

On the other hand, buying a small used sailboat that you keep for the purpose of exploring the part-time liveaboard lifestyle is a great option. Between Oriental and Annapolis you can find hundreds of boats that will meet your needs.

I give that advice, but I would be remiss if I didn't also add that it is always easier to buy a boat than it is to sell one when it comes time to move up or out.

JMK
JMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 09:40   #3

+1,000

Just kinda a reality. It would be extremely rare to find something like you describe, either of the two options.

I've also found repeated request for boat swaps to be non-starters, too. We did house exchanges for years, way before they became popular. Easier to swap houses and cars than boats, I certainly wouldn't let ANYBODY touch my boat. In 35 years of sailing/boat ownership I can count the number of people who I'd let take my boat out without me on it on one hand with a couple of fingers left over.

Anyway, good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 08:49   #4

There is a reason men throughout history have often named their boats female names. They love them as much as their wives... some might argue more :-P

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Eoghan_Roe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:08   #5

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDelt View Post
If you know of anyone who has a good/great condition boat that would consider me paying them to liveaboard, please let me know. I'll pay you $500 for a referral. I work professionally, have a masters/doctorate degree and own my own business. I'll treat her as good as my own.
I know of one guy who did just that, moved aboard someone else's boat. But the boat needed much work and the guy paid his 'rent' by fixing the boat up for the owner. He had carpentry/mechanical/electrical skills that would have cost the owner quite a few dollars if he had to hire someone. Don't mean to be facetious, but you seem to be well off enough to buy your own boat...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:15   #6

This is like the elusive "Rent to Own" in real estate. I'm sure there may be examples of it in existence, however it's EXTREMELY rare. This arrangement really only benefits the Renter, not the Owner. If the owner is no longer using the vessel, then will simply sell it.

Owning and maintaining it for rent while ultimately assuming all the liability is not in the owners best interest.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 11:09   #7

Boat: csy 37

Agreed. The owner pays dock fees, liveaboard fees, utilities, insurance, etc. Worse, if the renter turns out to be a slob or unwilling to do regular maintenance the boat can turn to trash pretty quickly. In some places the renter might be considered a tenant and difficult to evict if you need to go that way.

And if the renter decides to sail off into the sunset with your boat....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:04   #8

I have a very nice 40-something foot ketch in Charleston, SC. We used to cruise/liveaboard. Contact me in private message for more info. Kate
KateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 05:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateW View Post
I have a very nice 40-something foot ketch in Charleston, SC. We used to cruise/liveaboard. Contact me in private message for more info. Kate
Interested in your post. Retired MD. Starting new life after divorce. Contact me in email. New to forum: do you have access to that info?
Docmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 09:38   #10

Matt,
I sent you a PM
Old 28-06-2015, 09:41   #11

Actually my Private Message did not go through with the error message that I'm not allowed to send a Private Message because I'm not a trusted member. I don't know how to get a personal message to you.
Old 28-06-2015, 15:37   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Kate, I'm just curious: how come you don't know how long your boat is? "40-something foot" is not how most owners would describe their boat to a prospective customer/renter or whatever.

Jim
Old 28-06-2015, 15:40   #13

Quote:
Actually my Private Message did not go through with the error message that I'm not allowed to send a Private Message because I'm not a trusted member. I don't know how to get a personal message to you.
You can email me direct if that is "allowed" : Matt.friedes@gmail.com
Docmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard