Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-07-2016, 09:54   #16

Boat: Norseman 400
Re: Looking for the right boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
Is this a serious post?

There was a Hinckley (Bermuda 40, I think) at the 2016 Kemah Boatshow. I was surprised to discover it had a wood burning stove of about 1 foot or less in the saloon.
This cute little wood burning stove is in a Union 36 that belonged to a dear fellow by the name of Ed. He was an international geologist by trade, but long since retired. He gathered and burned Douglas Fir cones and construction scraps to heat his boat. It vented through the cabin top. (Yep, soot.)

I think he was in his mid-to-late eighties when a bunch of us at the marina helped get the boat cleaned up and ready to sell. His advancing age and physical/mental condition made living on the boat unsafe for him (and the boats next to him). Between the propane and the wood stove, he has several close calls toward the end.

As most boats do, it looked good in pictures, but really needed a lot of work. Sometime during his last summer on the boat, he accidentally filled his diesel tank with dock water.

He was such a sweet man. I would have liked to have known him before age started creeping in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	128251  

Old 23-07-2016, 10:25   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Masthead Sloop

buy the goats and chickens when you get where you are going...after you get established there...

Old 23-07-2016, 10:28   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I hate to join the regiment of nay sayers but a 36" wood stove is just absurd due to weight and fuel storage issues. Before investing in your little ark try you and your wife sleeping within 10' of a chicken coop for a week. That might end the livestock idea. As for temporary homesteading en route, forget it. If you find some waterfront land that actually is available at an affordable price, I can almost guarantee it will have no fresh water, permissive zoning or easy access.
Going off grid is a nice dream but it's tough enough if you know what you really want. Wandering with livestock aboard might work if your "vessel" is a 40' semi but not a boat. Marine cruising or rural homesteading are also viable but incompatible possibilities. For marine cruising you need to convert 'living off the land' to living off the sea. You would need to hunt not farm. That will require significant fishing/diving skills in addition to boat handling and maintenance. Good luck with your plans once you figure out what you really want.
Old 23-07-2016, 15:46   #19

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

you may find a boat that can handle the trip in your price range /without the stove and zoo/sell the zoo and stove catch a buss to your destination /still have grub stake to re,establish/ don't carry the axe into the buss depot
Old 23-07-2016, 15:48   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I think with a wood stove you may want a steel boat?

b.
Old 23-07-2016, 16:12   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

How shall you settle down anywhere and farm? You'll need to buy or lease the land first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam041987 View Post
Hey,
I am wanting to liveaboard and cruise from BC to the coastal Alaskan rainforest, and eventually down to coastal Chilean rainforest.

I want to include a 36" wide woodstove that I already have.

I'm trying to live off grid, providing for all of our food needs, and have minimal contact with society.
I will have my wife, a dog, a few goats, chickens and rabbits.
When we settle down in a region, we'll garden and farm raise livestock.
When we are ready to move on, we'll harvest and preserve the food, pack up, load the animals into kennels for transit and move on.

I will be taking a canoe, 2 kayaks and 2 bikes along.

I've got about 25,000$ for the purchase of the boat.

Finally, my question:
What boat should I be looking at?
I like the look of the trimarans, but the weight I intend to carry would probably prove disasterous, as has been previously pointed out.
That's a lot of weight putting a lot of stress on a boat not designed to be loaded up.

I also like trimarans for their shallow draft. A few monohulls that I've looked at had previously run aground, and were fixed up. I thought I might avoid running aground if I could make a trimaran work. Perhaps there are other boats out there with a shallow draft that I don't know about. Perhaps I just need to not run into things with any boat!
Old 23-07-2016, 16:59   #22

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

The Shipmate wood stove on 38' PILAR is 26"x18". Contrary to what most people assume, finding wood was never a problem all the way down California and into Mexico, where we easily simply installed a single burner for propane, due to the heat. A modified Sea Swing provided a second burner while a Coleman folding oven ($5.00 thrift store purchase) was perfect for baking. During an Australian winter we removed the burner and once were able to enjoy using the stove with wood.

Now that PILAR is in the Philippines, the single burner is again in use but the lovely part is that it also warms up the stove top so with some thoughtful calculations of cooking times and proximity to the burner, several pots can continue to cook without needing to be ON the burner. I highly recommend having one even when not able to use the benefits of wood--a DRY heat for the cabin if nothing else.
Old 23-07-2016, 17:04   #23

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

...PILAR's galley: ...well, I can't seem to upload the photo of her wood stove from my album so I give up.
Old 23-07-2016, 22:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
Really? Goats on a boat? Impossible.
Just because you can`t make it work, doesn`t mean it`s impossible.

Quote:
Have you given any thought to their feed and water requirements? Last I checked, they need fresh water to drink.
Yep, as stated above, the goats are going to be the toughest part.
They will only be on the boat while in transit, not permanently, obviously.

Quote:
And, you won't be able to get them into any country without a quarantine period.
You won't solve very many of your problems if you give up at the first sign of adversity.

Quote:
They won't survive the journey.
You are too quick to give up. Acknowledge the problems, design solutions, or modify the plan. Reduce the number of goats, get smaller, less demanding breeds, get them shipped separately, get a bigger boat to store more fresh water and feed, invest in a desalinator, go to shore more often to collect fresh water and let them feed. Use your imagination a little bit.

Quote:
We used to heat our farmhouse with wood. We know what it takes to process firewood. And you'll need heat at night all the way down the entire North American coast. We know. We did that, too. Plus, where the hell are you going to stack it?
So time, effort, and the right tools are required to process firewood.
Guess what, I have all that.
I also have a very efficient wood stove, so very little lasts all night.
I'll stack it inside the boat somewhere probably, seeing as it's dry and closer to where I will use it.

Quote:
You clearly have no clue how to do these things on land, much less on a boat.
Buy a camper instead. Or homestead in Idaho.
I appreciate your advice, and I will take all that everyone has said into consideration.
You seem easily angered. Perhaps you should find a way to relax more, and not get so upset at people on the internet when they disagree with you.
Old 23-07-2016, 23:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
How shall you settle down anywhere and farm? You'll need to buy or lease the land first?
There are alternatives, such as communes, sharing private farmland, paying rent in livestock and produce, bumming of crown land (technically illegal, but so is a lot of stuff that I am going to be doing, so why stop there), really the only limitations are the ones we put on ourselves, and those that we accept from our corrupt fascist institutions.
Old 23-07-2016, 23:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think with a wood stove you may want a steel boat?

b.
Ok, I'm all ears. What would happen on a fiberglass boat?
No matter what boat I get, I'm going to have enough clearance on the bottom, back and sides, and stainless steal surrounding. Should be alright, I expect.
Old 23-07-2016, 23:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanmach View Post
buy the goats and chickens when you get where you are going...after you get established there...
That's a rock solid idea, unfortunately, these chickens and these goats aren't very common. They are worth getting now and taking them with me, they are as tough and hardy as you can get. Not at all comparable to just average goats and average chickens.
Old 23-07-2016, 23:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I hate to join the regiment of nay sayers but a 36" wood stove is just absurd due to weight and fuel storage issues.
I was a little concerned about the weight. 600 some pounds.
That's quite a bit. Not to worried about the fuel storage, there is a lot on the average liveaboard boat that I won't need, and can take out for additional room.

Quote:
Before investing in your little ark try you and your wife sleeping within 10' of a chicken coop for a week.
I understand the smell will be awful. I don't expect to have them on the boat for long, and I'll have the time to keep it fairly clean. You may be right about that though. I've thought about shipping the animals separately for that reason.

Quote:
If you find some waterfront land that actually is available at an affordable price, I can almost guarantee it will have no fresh water, permissive zoning or easy access.
There are more opportunities out there than you might think.
Several communes and private farms have expressed interest in having me stay for a season.
There isn't a lot of zoning enforcement in the back country.
There are less than one person per square kilometer where I intend on going, so I imagine I'll have my pick of where I'll be.
Define easy access. That's kind of subjective, and relative.

Quote:
Going off grid is a nice dream but it's tough enough if you know what you really want. Wandering with livestock aboard might work if your "vessel" is a 40' semi but not a boat.
I know what I want, and where I want to go is only accessible by boat.
Alaskan and Chilean coastal rainforest, for as long as I'm able.

Quote:
Marine cruising or rural homesteading are also viable but incompatible possibilities. For marine cruising you need to convert 'living off the land' to living off the sea. You would need to hunt not farm. That will require significant fishing/diving skills in addition to boat handling and maintenance. Good luck with your plans once you figure out what you really want.
I am fairly well equipped for hunting.

I'm aware of the several seemingly incompatible and mutually exclusive objectives. I see only problems that need intense amount of hard work, research, preparation, design, trouble shooting, trial and error, and luck.
I will probably make mistakes, have losses, might even die.
I'm not giving up.
Boat, goats, chickens, rabbits, dogs, and coastal rainforests. If I have to switch things up a bit, and do it differently, that's fine.
Old 23-07-2016, 23:36   #29

Quote:
This cute little wood burning stove is in a Union 36 that belonged to a dear fellow by the name of Ed. He was an international geologist by trade, but long since retired. He gathered and burned Douglas Fir cones and construction scraps to heat his boat. It vented through the cabin top. (Yep, soot.)

I think he was in his mid-to-late eighties when a bunch of us at the marina helped get the boat cleaned up and ready to sell. His advancing age and physical/mental condition made living on the boat unsafe for him (and the boats next to him). Between the propane and the wood stove, he has several close calls toward the end.

As most boats do, it looked good in pictures, but really needed a lot of work. Sometime during his last summer on the boat, he accidentally filled his diesel tank with dock water.

He was such a sweet man. I would have liked to have known him before age started creeping in.
Thanks for sharing. He sounds pretty nice. Gorgeous boat.
Old 23-07-2016, 23:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
A 36" wide wood stove???!!!!

1) Where are you going to put that massive piece of cast iron??

2) Where are you going to put cords of wood?

3) A 36" inch stove is a large stove. How much do you think you need to heat? That would heat a large house and would be way overkill for a boat.

I burned wood as a primary source of heat from birth until my mid 20's. I never had a wood stove that large.

There are many marine solid fuel stoves out that that will fit the bill for what you're trying to achieve. This idea seems a little 'land-lubbery'. Like trying to figure out how to get a land-line on a boat.
Haha, thanks for the joke at the end.

1. I know it is pretty big for a boat. I like to cook, bake, etc., and I anticipate using wood exclusively. The smallest woodfired oven/stove I could find was 36". Fortunately, only the top is cast iron. I might get a different woodstove (I wasn't really aware of marine wood stoves), but I already have this one. I sort of anticipate moving it on land eventually, and having a smaller one aboard.

2. I'll store the wood in the cabin. I have no need for an electric head, so I can remove all of that. I'm going pretty low tech.

3. I expect that you are right about it being overkill for the boat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: