Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 07:11   #31

Re: Looking for synergy partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

You know you could rent an SUV from most of the rental car companies for $50-$100/day. Should be able to get the boat to TX and the SUV back to the rental location in a couple of long days. If that is stretching your budget then I would think fixing up a boat is going to be beyond your means. Even if you find a larger free boat (very possible these days) you would have to be the consummate scrounger to make it seaworthy for almost nothing. I might add that if you can't afford a few hundred to get the boat to TX you will not be able to afford a marina.

If you are considering, even temporarily, living on your 22 with your potential boat partner I can see the reason for the long digression into the intended terms of the relationship. 22' is very small and to share that space 24/7 with a close friend, much less a relative stranger could be difficult.
Once I get every thing into place I can afford to rent a vehicle. It will be tight but is doable.
OPtions are rent a vehicle IF i can find one that allows me to tow boat OR get slip for boat that first month. Hence the share resources. (Waiting to Rent out the house.) The problem is as I said in another post, I asked different rental places and they all say no go on towing something.
Old 22-10-2012, 07:17   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

If I were you, I would sell the house and the Venture 22. Sell the Venture 22 at a 'give-away price if you have to. It probably wouldn't be worth the time or trouble to move it down here.
Once you have some money, boats down here are cheap as they are everywhere else. You can spend a few nights in a motel and have a boat in literally in less than a week. Once you start living aboard, you will meet other people that are like minded. This is the easiest plan. When you have your own boat, you wont be pressured to make quick decisions on whether any one particular person is the one you want to enter into a relationship of sorts with. A partnership is a relationship no matter how you look at it.
The Galveston Bay area is like the second or third largest boating community in the US.
Most marinas here have at least 500 boats each. There are 3 large marinas, side by side including mine. And several more withing a mile on either side of me ON THE SAME ROAD!. Most marinas have major get-togethers and dock parties on a regular basis.
Best of luck to you.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:20   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
You'll feel even better handling this yourself.
Yep . all I need is some one that wants to swap a car that don't run for a tow vehicle that does, or a major infusion of cash to hire it done and I'm good to go on this part. Personally I'm not picky which. LOL
Old 22-10-2012, 07:24   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
Have been checking those out as well. if I have to go that route it will defintly take longer. Bids are outragous.
if you have to buy a trailer,the trip is going to cost iro $2000-3000

is the boat really worth that investment,sell it then look on the coast,
a free boat that can be sailed away is one thing,spending that amount of money on a boat that is unsuitable for anything other than inshore/lake sailing is just not worth it.

see the tread under my post about the macwester i got for nothing,it took 4 months to move it 180 miles,and at least $1500,but this money was spent on getting the boat sea worthy,any money spent on transport is money wasted.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
If I were you, I would sell the house and the Venture 22. Sell the Venture 22 at a 'give-away price if you have to. It probably wouldn't be worth the time or trouble to move it down here.
Once you have some money, boats down here are cheap as they are everywhere else. You can spend a few nights in a motel and have a boat in literally in less than a week. Once you start living aboard, you will meet other people that are like minded. This is the easiest plan. When you have your own boat, you wont be pressured to make quick decisions on whether any one particular person is the one you want to enter into a relationship of sorts with. A partnership is a relationship no matter how you look at it.
The Galveston Bay area is like the second or third largest boating community in the US.
Most marinas here have at least 500 boats each. There are 3 large marinas, side by side including mine. And several more withing a mile on either side of me ON THE SAME ROAD!. Most marinas have major get-togethers and dock parties on a regular basis.
Best of luck to you.
selling house was original idea. is still on the agenda but temporarily not an option. Plus I really dont want to wait for it to sell.
selling boat: it's a starter boat ,which is exactly what I need for now.
If I'm in a motel room I'm going to be chomping at the bit to find a boat instead of using my head and take my time. Not a good place for me to be.
Old 22-10-2012, 07:38   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
When you have your own boat, you wont be pressured to make quick decisions on whether any one particular person is the one you want to enter into a relationship of sorts with. A partnership is a relationship no matter how you look at it. .
I figure this is a REALLY BIG long shot. Hence my insane and crazy idea opener. If it happens great. If not, oh well. nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 22-10-2012, 07:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if you have to buy a trailer,the trip is going to cost iro $2000-3000

is the boat really worth that investment,sell it then look on the coast,
a free boat that can be sailed away is one thing,spending that amount of money on a boat that is unsuitable for anything other than inshore/lake sailing is just not worth it.

see the tread under my post about the macwester i got for nothing,it took 4 months to move it 180 miles,and at least $1500,but this money was spent on getting the boat sea worthy,any money spent on transport is money wasted.
Its on a trailer. its a starter boat, which is what I need for now. I'm not planning on doing any significant blue water cruising for a while. I know I'm not going to get what i paid for it back after the repairs but I'm chalking that up to experience and learning a lot. Plus being at anchor or in a marina, in my book neats the sox off of a motel room any day.
Old 22-10-2012, 08:25   #38

Boat: Seaward 22

You really just need someone to tow your boat. Have you estimated the cost of the trip in gas alone? I'd say sell the boat and buy another starter boat in TX. Sure you could find a 28' that would be better. All for under $10k.

If you don't have the money to pay someone to tow the boat, how can you afford to put the boat in a marina?

Can always go to your local bubba tow service. Ask them if they know of anyone with a pickup that would like to earn a few $ on the side. Pay him gas and an agreed upon fee.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 13:34   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Its on a trailer. its a starter boat, which is what I need for now. I'm not planning on doing any significant blue water cruising for a while. I know I'm not going to get what i paid for it back after the repairs but I'm chalking that up to experience and learning a lot. Plus being at anchor or in a marina, in my book neats the sox off of a motel room any day.
finding a tow for a 1 ton boat should not be a big issue lol,hell buy yourself a $500 junker with a tow bar and do it yourself!

then all your contacts with the other sex need only be on your own terms!
Old 22-10-2012, 14:14   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

I like the $500 junker idea - even if sell the car for a loss likely to be the cheapest method.

But I had a quick google of OP's boat - at the risk of being rude , I don't see her as anywhere close to being a "keeper". Therefore what about selling her where is and then when the house is sold / rented out relocating to the coast. (if timing is an issue, then could either live on the boat in the backyard! or at a nearby lake / carpark?! until the boat is sold).

As an alternative to renting a motel what about renting a berth aboard someone else's boat?! My bet is that will be a fair few people who would be happy for some additional income - the plus is that makes the "no hanky panky" rule evident (even though no bad thing to also make it very clear!).......and then (as cash allows) buy own boat. The big plus at that point will be your having boots on the ground to sniff out opportunities, as not everything makes it onto the internet - especially not at the bargain basement prices end of boats.....and that may include free! (at least for an interim live alone boat).

Of course, no problem then hooking up with others - but that can be done more in person later.

Anyway, keep us all posted .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 14:54   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
You really just need someone to tow your boat. Have you estimated the cost of the trip in gas alone?

Can always go to your local bubba tow service. Ask them if they know of anyone with a pickup that would like to earn a few $ on the side. Pay him gas and an agreed upon fee.
yes, part of it is using someine elses vehicle I have no idea what their cost would actually be other them me just guesstimating I like the tow company idea.
Old 22-10-2012, 15:00   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
yes, part of it is using someine elses vehicle I have no idea what their cost would actually be other them me just guesstimating I like the tow company idea.
it might be an idea to repost your needs as a new thread leaving out the sexist/anti sexist rhetoric.

towing a 1 ton boat 500 miles is not really a big deal,10's of 1000's of people do this with caravans every year in europe
Old 22-10-2012, 16:09   #43

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

UDGM-

As an observation on this thread, I have but one thing to say: YOU GO GIRL!!

As a person with a prominent Y chromosome I look at this from my testosterone enlightened (or limited) perspective and I have great respect and admiration for your intent, whatever the process or vehicle. I would suggest that you damn the torpedoes (apologies to Admiral Farragut) and all the advice and simply get to your end game. If it works for you to drag what you have behind you to the coast and splash your dream then GIT-R-DONE! Don't over think this. (Don't use TOO much grey matter!)

If you feel that you cannot accomplish what you want that way, then quickly and totally JETTISON that baggage like a self absorbed boyfriend and if you must, walk, run, drop and roll, slither or CRAWL to the coast and pick up some lonely and inexpensive boat (apparently there are many now). Embrace it, take proper care of it and sail to the destiny in your heart.

The world, and if I can be so bold as to say it, this forum, are full of people longing to posses the courage, time and freedom that you envision to enable a voyage toward their personal horizons.

Only you stand in your way.

HERE IS THE CATCH: The MOST important thing is DO NOT miss the opportunity. When I was talking with Lin and Larry Pardey last year they reiterated their famous mantra to me: Go small, go simple, go now, and added: BUT GO!

Be the Master (or Mistress) of your goal and the details will fall into place!!

Fair winds-

Todd
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 17:02   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
UDGM-

As an observation on this thread, I have but one thing to say: YOU GO GIRL!!

As a person with a prominent Y chromosome I look at this from my testosterone enlightened (or limited) perspective and I have great respect and admiration for your intent, whatever the process or vehicle. I would suggest that you damn the torpedoes (apologies to Admiral Farragut) and all the advice and simply get to your end game. If it works for you to drag what you have behind you to the coast and splash your dream then GIT-R-DONE! Don't over think this. (Don't use TOO much grey matter!)

If you feel that you cannot accomplish what you want that way, then quickly and totally JETTISON that baggage like a self absorbed boyfriend and if you must, walk, run, drop and roll, slither or CRAWL to the coast and pick up some lonely and inexpensive boat (apparently there are many now). Embrace it, take proper care of it and sail to the destiny in your heart.

The world, and if I can be so bold as to say it, this forum, are full of people longing to posses the courage, time and freedom that you envision to enable a voyage toward their personal horizons.

Only you stand in your way.

HERE IS THE CATCH: The MOST important thing is DO NOT miss the opportunity. When I was talking with Lin and Larry Pardey last year they reiterated their famous mantra to me: Go small, go simple, go now, and added: BUT GO!

Be the Master (or Mistress) of your goal and the details will fall into place!!

Fair winds-

Todd
Hi Todd. Its funny you should pop this into the mix at this exact moment. I'm SERIOUSLY rethinking my priorities on what is important to me, what has to be done NOW and what can wait. NO need to apologize on the damned the torpedoes. Hope it does not offend any one else but that is exactly what I needed to be reminded of. Scraping entire plan on synergy. If someone suitable replies and things fall into place, as long as I have not left yet its an option. If not, get car running, find a room to rent cheap for a short time or if I have to, live in the car. If boats are as prevalent as every one says and a week is a reasonable time period, I can handle that, standing on my head. Can do all this other crap later since I have to make a couple of trips back any way for other business.
Have been thinking Kemah area before post on it. so the question becomes, any one in Kemah area want to help a newbie go boat shopping?
Old 22-10-2012, 17:10   #45

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I like the $500 junker idea - even if sell the car for a loss likely to be the cheapest method.

But I had a quick google of OP's boat - at the risk of being rude , I don't see her as anywhere close to being a "keeper". Therefore what about selling her where is and then when the house is sold / rented out relocating to the coast. (if timing is an issue, then could either live on the boat in the backyard! or at a nearby lake / carpark?! until the boat is sold).

As an alternative to renting a motel what about renting a berth aboard someone else's boat?! My bet is that will be a fair few people who would be happy for some additional income - the plus is that makes the "no hanky panky" rule evident (even though no bad thing to also make it very clear!).......and then (as cash allows) buy own boat. The big plus at that point will be your having boots on the ground to sniff out opportunities, as not everything makes it onto the internet - especially not at the bargain basement prices end of boats.....and t hat may include free! (at least for an interim live alone boat).

Of course, no problem then hooking up with others - but that can be done more in person later.

Anyway, keep us all posted .

A single gal on Galveston Island won't be single long.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote