Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 06:15   #16

Re: Looking for synergy partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
so basically you are looking for a 500 mile tow from a nice guy with a truck and an interest in boats.................
In the fairy tale world things like that happen. In the real world, I already posted an ad in Craigslist in ride share. See post below.
Old 22-10-2012, 06:18   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
In the fairy tale world things like that happen. In the real world, I already posted an ad in Craigslist in ride share. See post below.
there are a lot of "no strings attached" trucking companies that would do it for probably what it is going to cost anyway,however you do it
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:23   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

At first, I thought you were looking to share a boat with someone. Then you talk about having 2 separate boats. Is there anyway you can shorten the wants and don't wants and get down to actually what are your goal is?
I am totally confused. I live aboard on the Texas coast and know many people.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:33   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Guess I'm just kinda dense, but after reading the OP three times I'm still not sure exactly what you are asking.

I understand you aren't looking for a personal relationship but want a boat partner but to do what exactly? Buy a boat with you on shares? Buy two boats together to share work? Share work to fix up your 22'. Teach you to sail? You teach them to sail? Hang out on a boat and synergize?

The basic idea is there might be someone out here that with some help of a like minded person would go for it. 2 heads are better then 1. find someone who wants a boat and we put our heads together and find us each one. Look out for each other while we're doing it. Have a sounding board in each other that's NOT trying to sell us something. ( the old pro and con discussions before you commit to any major transactions). Realistically i figure the RV is probably not going to happen. Most likely a pick up or van. Living in a vehicle gets you branded as homeless and would be a king sized pain. I have the Venture. I have been pricing marinas and checking out anchorages. Assuming I find someone while the Venture is not going to be a luxury set up, it can it work long enough to each find a boat of our own.
Yes it's a long shot but nothing ventured nothing gained. If I don't find someone I'm doing it any way, But it would be better with someone. We could cover a lot more ground. If it don't happen, friends suggested offering to trade the boat trailer for the tow. While I'm seriously considering that as a last resort, I'm really hoping it don't come down to that.
Old 22-10-2012, 06:35   #20

Quote:
there are a lot of "no strings attached" trucking companies that would do it for probably what it is going to cost anyway,however you do it
Yep. I'm checking out that aspect as well
Old 22-10-2012, 06:43   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Yer all a tough crowd .

Quote:
i need to edit that so i don't sound sexist..........

so basically you are looking for a 500 mile tow from a nice guy/girl with a truck and an interest in boats.................
FWIW, I did pick up on that before posting my previous (qualified) supportive comments (took me longer to work out what gender OP is )......could well turn out to be situation where the person with a truck gets a thank you and a fook off 5 minutes after arrival......but if it's a deal that works for both and they get on well, then it might carry on. and if not, no promises were made.

I say fair play to OP for slapping her cards on the table at the getgo - including those which I am sure she knows full well will be a deal breaker for many (most?). Would have been far easier to leave the prospect of a "warm welcome" at least hanging in air.......despite no intention of ever following through (some women do take that approach ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
At first, I thought you were looking to share a boat with someone. Then you talk about having 2 separate boats. Is there anyway you can shorten the wants and don't wants and get down to actually what are your goal is?
I am totally confused. I live aboard on the Texas coast and know many people.
KISS
economy sucks, boat market is down. rumors abound. some of those rumors have been confirmed. the goal is get my self and my boat to closest blue water area which is Texas coast to do boots on the ground searching and find me something I can afford. to "retire" as liveaboard.
Old 22-10-2012, 06:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
ROTFLMAO

I thought OP's request was a bit of an ask - but nonetheless I am firmly in the camp of "don't ask - don't get" . Don't have to suit everyone, only one person.......and whilst the specifics of this are of no interest to me, the basic idea of travelling with someone (of either sex) on a no "monkey business" basis whilst sharing a few expenses / the craic is something that has some appeal to me....especially as not a forever thing .

Anyway, this mainly a free thread bump .
Thanks for the links will be spending hours reading them
Old 22-10-2012, 06:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Wow, read it again and that could be right. A half page of rambling and restrictions on who might be acceptable with some smoke screen about two boats, synergy and what not just to ask for a tow to the coast?

Why not just say, "I need someone to help me with a tow to TX for my 22' MacGregor. Will offer some shared use of the boat in exchange, no fringe benefits."
Been hit on WAY to many times. I like yours better. Does this forum come with a do over?
Old 22-10-2012, 06:56   #25

Boat: O'Day 28

Why not synergize with a UHaul one way rental truck? Get down on the coast living aboard your venture, you'll be where you want, can sail, and probably have a wide choice of lonely single boatguys. Most will want more than platonic friendship but you can deal with that.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Yer all a tough crowd .

FWIW, I did pick up on that before posting my previous (qualified) supportive comments (took me longer to work out what gender OP is )......could well turn out to be situation where the person with a truck gets a thank you and a fook off 5 minutes after arrival......but if it's a deal that works for both and they get on well, then it might carry on. and if not, no promises were made.

I say fair play to OP for slapping her cards on the table at the getgo - including those which I am sure she knows full well will be a deal breaker for many (most?). Would have been far easier to leave the prospect of a "warm welcome" at least hanging in air.......despite no intention of ever following through (some women do take that approach ).
Thanks for the vote of support. Yeah I know its a deal breaker to a lot of folks. but I cant look at my self in the mirror and play that game. Besides that, in the back of my mind , part of the reason I went into so much detail is, if the wrong person commited to it, once they figured out it was a no go on " fringe benefits" , they might get mad and leave me and the boat on the side of the road. NOT my idea of a good day.
Old 22-10-2012, 07:01   #27

Boat: O'Day 28

You'll feel even better handling this yourself.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:01   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Why not synergize with a UHaul one way rental truck? Get down on the coast living aboard your venture, you'll be where you want, can sail, and probably have a wide choice of lonely single boatguys. Most will want more than platonic friendship but you can deal with that.

I checked with uhaul, budget and Penske, they all tell me if you pull any thing but their trailers your in violation of their contract. If any one knows of a place to rent a tow vehicle that I can do this with PLEASE SING OUT! I even tried the rent a car places for a pick up or van, same deal.
Old 22-10-2012, 07:02   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
The basic idea is there might be someone out here that with some help of a like minded person would go for it. 2 heads are better then 1. find someone who wants a boat and we put our heads together and find us each one. Look out for each other while we're doing it. Have a sounding board in each other that's NOT trying to sell us something. ( the old pro and con discussions before you commit to any major transactions). Realistically i figure the RV is probably not going to happen. Most likely a pick up or van. Living in a vehicle gets you branded as homeless and would be a king sized pain. I have the Venture. I have been pricing marinas and checking out anchorages. Assuming I find someone while the Venture is not going to be a luxury set up, it can it work long enough to each find a boat of our own.
Yes it's a long shot but nothing ventured nothing gained. If I don't find someone I'm doing it any way, But it would be better with someone. We could cover a lot more ground. If it don't happen, friends suggested offering to trade the boat trailer for the tow. While I'm seriously considering that as a last resort, I'm really hoping it don't come down to that.
Well if I now understand the plan, you want to team up with someone to share resources to get your boat to TX and possibly share your boat, possibly both live on your boat, while trying to figure a way to get two boats?

You know you could rent an SUV from most of the rental car companies for $50-$100/day. Should be able to get the boat to TX and the SUV back to the rental location in a couple of long days. If that is stretching your budget then I would think fixing up a boat is going to be beyond your means. Even if you find a larger free boat (very possible these days) you would have to be the consummate scrounger to make it seaworthy for almost nothing. I might add that if you can't afford a few hundred to get the boat to TX you will not be able to afford a marina.

If you are considering, even temporarily, living on your 22 with your potential boat partner I can see the reason for the long digression into the intended terms of the relationship. 22' is very small and to share that space 24/7 with a close friend, much less a relative stranger could be difficult.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:03   #30

Quote:
Have been checking those out as well. if I have to go that route it will defintly take longer. Bids are outragous.