Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2014, 10:33   #1

Looking for Liveaboard Families with Kids

Greetings! We are considering the liveaboard situation and we have two young children. I would love to chat with those of you who are doing it with kids. Thank you!

Old 19-08-2014, 14:05   #2

Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: Looking for liveaboard families with kids

Look up recent threads by GalaxyGirl, find her blog... New (to her) boat, five kids...

-Chris

Old 19-08-2014, 14:22   #3

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

We lived aboard for many years and raised 2 boys, now in their 40's, and wouldn't change the lifestyle for anything. The values and ethics kids learn, their development of self sufficiency and responsibility can only be found by living 'off the grid' in rural settings or living aboard and home schooling. Todays kids growing up in an urban area start out with 2 strikes against them... tragic but true! The models for good behaviors are few and far between. Many times both parents must work and have unspeakable commutes, other kids in the 'hood' are products of their own skewed environment, the education system and teachers promote bullying, mediocre aspirations and there are few good models to follow in our schools.
In our experience, the kids who grow up aboard tend to be well raised, responsible, don't view themselves with a sense of entitlement, rather are used to working to get what they want/need and have a strong sense of right and wrong, basically honest and willing to help their neighbors. Their friends tend to be other liveaboards because they are unable to relate to the value systems of shoreside kids.
Both our kids went to college (eventually) and tend to be admired in their communities and have taken the first steps to becoming leaders. Both are raising their kids shoreside but are home schooling because of the disaster that our public school system has become.
I would highly recommend raising kids aboard both for the kids and the parents sake! Phil
Old 19-08-2014, 14:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Looking for Liveaboard Families with Kids

We moved aboard 7 yrs ago with a 9 and 10yr old and are still sane, no one was pushed overboard yet, and Child Protective Services hasn't taken away the kids yet...so we are calling it a win. Kids love it and don't want to be normal, what ever that means these days.

There are thousands of live aboard families out there so as you did here, reach out to them/us and we will be happy to answer questions and share what worked for us.

Here is the Blog after we left for Mexico back on Sept 28th 2008:
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svth...?xjMsgID=69211
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 14:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
............ development of self sufficiency and responsibility can only be found by living 'off the grid' in rural settings or living aboard and home schooling. Todays kids growing up in an urban area start out with 2 strikes against them... tragic but true! The models for good behaviors are few and far between. Many times both parents must work and have unspeakable commutes, other kids in the 'hood' are products of their own skewed environment, the education system and teachers promote bullying, mediocre aspirations and there are few good models to follow in our schools. .................
I like the support for the raising of children aboard, but I would not be so quick to malign the entire urban society. Most teachers in urban areas are dedicated to success and 90% of the students are developing with admirable standards and ethics. I will admit to plenty of focus upon those that are disappointing and their notoriety. I agree with the statement that children raised aboard are likely to be self-sufficient and reliable, but it can not be said that "this can only be found by living off the grid".
Old 19-08-2014, 15:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I like the support for the raising of children aboard, but I would not be so quick to malign the entire urban society. Most teachers in urban areas are dedicated to success and 90% of the students are developing with admirable standards and ethics. I will admit to plenty of focus upon those that are disappointing and their notoriety. I agree with the statement that children raised aboard are likely to be self-sufficient and reliable, but it can not be said that "this can only be found by living off the grid".
My opinion, which is a personal one based on my kids raising their own children, is mine alone and I take full responsibity for them. One of my kids has been a firefighter for about 20 years and is a Capt in his hall. The other is a high school science teacher whose wife is a part time primary school teacher. All of the grandchildren are home schooled, even the two belonging to the teachers! They all refuse to send their kids to public school because of the violence, lack of role models and the crappy ethics and values held by teachers and the rest of the students. The bar for excellence is set so low as to be non-existent. The kids take many of their attitudes and manners from the teachers who are more interested in maximizing their time off, refusing to discipline kids who are disruptive and not permitting other kids to learn (probably a management problem in the school system) and breaking the rules they themselves have set, ie., smoking, dress, swearing, etc.
I have a low opinion of the public school system based upon my personal observations, those of my kids and a couple of teachers to whom I happen to be related. I'll admit that my sample is small but in talking with other parents who have school age children, they are equally disappointed in the system. Your 90% figure certainly is at odds with my empirical data! Phil
Old 19-08-2014, 15:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
........... They all refuse to send their kids to public school because of the violence, lack of role models and the crappy ethics and values held by teachers and the rest of the students. The bar for excellence is set so low as to be non-existent. The kids take many of their attitudes and manners from the teachers who are more interested in maximizing their time off, refusing to discipline kids who are disruptive and not permitting other kids to learn (probably a management problem in the school system) and breaking the rules they themselves have set, ie., smoking, dress, swearing, etc. ............
I respect your opinion. There might be a geographical factor. I see your nearest metropolitan area is Reno, Nevada and mine is Jacksonville, Florida. I'm aware of the problems that you speak of, but they do not dominate the pervasive quality of the schools here.

.... but back to kids growing up on boats! My children grew up aboard and cruising and now my daughter is raising her son aboard too! It's a wonderful life!
Old 19-08-2014, 15:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I respect your opinion. There might be a geographical factor. I see your nearest metropolitan area is Reno, Nevada and mine is Jacksonville, Florida. I'm aware of the problems that you speak of, but they do not dominate the pervasive quality of the schools here.

.... but back to kids growing up on boats! My children grew up aboard and cruising and now my daughter is raising her son aboard too! It's a wonderful life!
That is really great to hear! I live in Rural NV and there are many 'off the grid' types here. Preppers, Survivalists, etc. Many home school their kids and there is an independent, distrustful streak of any government program running through the communty. If the only news I get is from TV, it would depress anyone! It seems to be filled with bad news and worse examples of behavior... makes me happy to be insulated from it... cheers, Phil

Tags
kids, liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: