Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 18:28   #16

Boat: never mind...
Re: Looking for live aboard marina gulf coast

Gulfport built this beautiful new harbor only to disallow liveaboards. Who knows why. No shrimpers, either. I guess they're trying to cater to whatever elite lives there.

There are many more newly built marinas along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Some are still having growing pains and don't offer quite the amenities, yet, but they're working on it.

I'm about to begin the liveaboard life in Ocean Springs. Good luck!
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 13:14   #17

Boat: Island Trader 41

In St. Pete there is the Harboage which has most of the amenities you talk about. Cable, Internet,phone.showers, captains quarters, but again like someone says, the Florida coast is not a cheap place to live aboard.
Arete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 13:26   #18

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

Palafox Pier does not allow live aboards, but the marina owner has two other marinas that do - Bahia Mar and Baylen Slips. Baylen Slips is in the same protected yacht basin as Palafox Pier. It is where I have lived aboard for 15 yrs with a couple yr hiatus after Ivan destroyed the place.

Bahia Mar is on a protected bayou, has a yard, a restaurant, ships store, lounge, etc.

Those of us at Baylen Slips just have to make due with having a thriving downtown in our backyard. Bars, restaurants, shops, festivals, banks, post office, hardware store, etc all within a 1 to 15 min walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 16:41   #19

I will put my two cents in for Baytowne Marina in Sandestin Fl. Been there for two years. Except for 10 days in June I have to evacuate for the Bill Fishing Tourney, it is home. Sure there are no "live a boards". I just spend a lot of time on the boat! It is well known among the staff what is going on. I work on land and call my little vessel home. Keep it clean, no worries! Actually they like having someone here all the time. We have enough Big Boy Boats who spend half a year here that my little 46' is welcome. Great staff and the resort is full of stuff. The price isn't that bad either.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Chris in destin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 16:50   #20

I keep my boat at.the longboat key.moorings. really.nice.place
Walk to cvs and market. Rent slip.from slip owner for.half price. Lovin it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 17:23   #21

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma

I looked an awful long time online and in person as work takes me all over the country. I took into consideration that sooner or later but for sure I'm going to have to deal with a hurricane, I need access to places for stuff, I need to fly out of somewhere easily on an almost weekly basis for work, easy access to the keys and Bahamas and points east and most importantly we are very private and like to be left alone.
I chose the Port of the Islands Marina south of Naples, Florida and have been here more or less for 5 years. The only drawback is the depth between here and the Gulf that restricts ingress and egress to high tide or close to. The plus side is all the other points are covered. 7 miles of mangroves between us and the Gulf to buffer storm surge, 14 miles south of Naples in the middle of no where so privacy, 45 minutes to Fort Myers airport and 3 easy days of sailing and we're in the Bahamas for 2 months a year.
Call Lou at 239-821-2885
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:45   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thank all who has replied. You provided me some places to research.
pondering65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:22   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Chadwick cove in Englewood fl is a real hidden gem. Very secluded, deep water. Slip fees are lowest in fl and no charge for electricity, pump out (stations are next to each slip) and free WiFi. Full facilities including bathrooms, kitchen, and several covered patios with large BBQ ' s. Located on thin part of manasota key so you see sunrises across a scenic protected bay and sunsets on the beach. Best move I have ever made. Some of the live aboards have been there more than a decade.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pbbmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:31   #24

Might try Key West, Fl we are on the buoy in Garrison Bight not as much protection as Marathon but much more to do. The rates are much better by the month at $323 and change. There is a place to park your dinghy, car, or bike, a bath house with showers and laundry. It is less than mile to town. I often ride my bike in along the Gulf and ride down Duval St. until I come to the Atlantic a coast to coast ride. Enough bars to drown yourself. I highly recommend it. Two yards to take your boat and paint it yourself or hire it down. Happy Trails.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:47   #25

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I highly recommend Twin Dolphins Marina in Bradenton. Located on the Manatee River, it's a short hop - with no bridges - out to the Gulf and a quick right at the river's mouth will give you access to Tampa Bay. Key West is about 27 hours on the rhumb line. The river and marina have adequate depth for most cruising sailboats.

Docks are floating and surrounded by a substantial breakwater providing hurricane protection for up to a Cat 3 and 12 foot tidal surge. The slip rental includes wifi, 30 and 50 amp electric (non-metered), 100+ cable channels, water, beautiful showers, laundry facilities, pool and hot tub. An onsite restaurant - Pier 22 - provides inconsistent food, but a great bar with excellent (cheap) happy hour and great views of the river.

The marina is located at the beginning of the Bradenton RiverWalk, a mile and a half path along the river with fishing, a skate park, amphitheater and more. The city hosts a number of excellent events on the RiverWalk including the Bradenton Blues Festival and the RiverWalk Regatta, a Formula 2 boat race. Two blocks in the other direction is old Main Street which offers a number of bars and restaurants as well as a small market. Anything else you might need is within a 5-mile radius - West Marine, Publix, Lowes, Best Buy, etc.

I have lived here for about nine months and think of it as home. For me, living aboard a 40' sailboat, the cost is $730/month in the winter and $780/month in summer (when I switch to 50 amp service to run the other air conditioner). The Marina has about 400 slips and about 20% are occupied by liveaboards. It's a good community of sailors, powerboaters, screwballs and nut jobs. My son describes it as a floating dormitory.

If you get down here, check us out. I'm at B Dock. Just ask for Jason at the Marina office. Stop by and I'll make you a Painkiller.

Tags
gulf coast