Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 18:41   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Palm Beach
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 64
Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

In the process of buying a used Tayana 37 and need to find a marina in the Jupiter or Stuart area of Florida. The only one I've been able to find so far is Sunset Bay Marina and Anchorage in Stuart. Only problem is that they are already booked for next season and I would have to move at the end of Summer. Anyone live and/or sail in the area and know of another marina? Will need a place by June 1.
Thanks for any help. And then, is there anyone who would like to teach me to sail my new boat?
__________________

__________________
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:41   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Stuart, FL.
Boat: Moody 346
Posts: 39
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
In the process of buying a used Tayana 37 and need to find a marina in the Jupiter or Stuart area of Florida. The only one I've been able to find so far is Sunset Bay Marina and Anchorage in Stuart. Only problem is that they are already booked for next season and I would have to move at the end of Summer. Anyone live and/or sail in the area and know of another marina? Will need a place by June 1.
Thanks for any help. And then, is there anyone who would like to teach me to sail my new boat?
Try Sandpiper marina next to club Med, it is in the north bay not far from Sunset Bay. It is cheaper and has security gate, I stayed there 1 year. Also in Jupiter check Frenchmans creek Marina.
__________________

__________________
captd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:28   #3
Registered User
 
sailcruiser's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Posts: 763
Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

I can't help with a marina but wanted to offer advice on learning to sail. Find a club with beer can races and offer to crew. Be honest about your experience and most captains will be happy to help you learn. Honestly that is a safe way to learn that is win win.

SC
__________________
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 21:35   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Palm Beach
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 64
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
I can't help with a marina but wanted to offer advice on learning to sail. Find a club with beer can races and offer to crew. Be honest about your experience and most captains will be happy to help you learn. Honestly that is a safe way to learn that is win win.

SC
Great idea, thanks
__________________
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 21:41   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Palm Beach
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 64
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by captd44 View Post
Try Sandpiper marina next to club Med, it is in the north bay not far from Sunset Bay. It is cheaper and has security gate, I stayed there 1 year. Also in Jupiter check Frenchmans creek Marina.
Thank you for your reply. I will check them out.
__________________
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:00   #6
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,066
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
In the process of buying a used Tayana 37 and need to find a marina in the Jupiter or Stuart area of Florida. The only one I've been able to find so far is Sunset Bay Marina and Anchorage in Stuart. Only problem is that they are already booked for next season and I would have to move at the end of Summer. Anyone live and/or sail in the area and know of another marina? Will need a place by June 1.
Thanks for any help. And then, is there anyone who would like to teach me to sail my new boat?
Try Nettle's Island Marina.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:31   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: honolulu,HI
Boat: Custom 65' ferrocement sloop
Posts: 19
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

It's a ways away, but I lived aboard at Diamond 99 Marina in Melbourne for about 2 years.

caveat emptor; It has sold since then, don't know the new owners or what they have done since then (several years ago).
__________________
nekkidsailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:08   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter FL
Boat: temporarily boatless...
Posts: 723
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

OP, are you familiar with Jupiter Inlet? It is very unfriendly to sailboats, powerful current, standing waves, shifting sandbars, etc. Charted controlling depth is 4'9" but not reliable. I would recommend Lake Worth and one of the marinas there, I would suspect that Riviera Beach Municipal Marina would be a good choice.

I would be happy to help you learn to sail, but the problem with learning from Jupiter is that you must come and go on the slack high tide, 12 hours apart...

Pete
__________________
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 19:24   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Palm Beach
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 64
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by captd44 View Post
Try Sandpiper marina next to club Med, it is in the north bay not far from Sunset Bay. It is cheaper and has security gate, I stayed there 1 year. Also in Jupiter check Frenchmans creek Marina.
Sandpiper does look good, thanks again.
Frenchman Creek is not Loggerhead and very expensive.
__________________
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 19:28   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Palm Beach
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 64
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
Sandpiper does look good, thanks again.
Frenchman Creek is not Loggerhead and very expensive.
Frenchman Creek IS now Loggerhead and very expensive.
__________________
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 19:37   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Palm Beach
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 64
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
OP, are you familiar with Jupiter Inlet? It is very unfriendly to sailboats, powerful current, standing waves, shifting sandbars, etc. Charted controlling depth is 4'9" but not reliable. I would recommend Lake Worth and one of the marinas there, I would suspect that Riviera Beach Municipal Marina would be a good choice.

I would be happy to help you learn to sail, but the problem with learning from Jupiter is that you must come and go on the slack high tide, 12 hours apart...

Pete
So farther North, such as Sunset Bay and Sandpiper Bay Marinas would be better? Would the St Lucie River be a better way out? Thanks for your input.
Ken
__________________
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:01   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Stuart, FL.
Boat: Moody 346
Posts: 39
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
So farther North, such as Sunset Bay and Sandpiper Bay Marinas would be better? Would the St Lucie River be a better way out? Thanks for your input.
Ken
The St. Lucie Inlet is good and well marked, lots of current at times.
__________________
captd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:26   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter FL
Boat: temporarily boatless...
Posts: 723
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
So farther North, such as Sunset Bay and Sandpiper Bay Marinas would be better? Would the St Lucie River be a better way out? Thanks for your input.
Ken
Ken: every inlet north of Lake Worth (in the vicinity we are discussing) is really quite challenging for sail vessels. Yes, most of them are theoretically passable, but all of them are relatively narrow in places, have strong currents, shifting sandbars, and can have significant swell (Jupiter is the worst, I think; for the record, I live in and love this area). You can use any of these inlets, including Jupiter, if you want to wait for the right tide and wind conditions. Even Lake Worth is no cakewalk when the conditions are right, but you can basically forget about tidal heights and currents there.

Is there a reason why you don't want to look at the Lake Worth area? Yes, it is a little more expensive than Stuart/Ft Pierce (but a lot less than Ft Lauderdale/Miami/Keys). PM me if you want to talk by phone. Pete
__________________
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 17:09   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

As for learning to sail, the Saint Lucie Sailing Club holds beer can races every saturday. I believe they also just started their "learn to sail" class. It was $35 when I took it last year.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
wallbanger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 14:58   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Palm Beach
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 64
Re: Looking for a marina near Jupiter FL for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Ken: every inlet north of Lake Worth (in the vicinity we are discussing) is really quite challenging for sail vessels. Yes, most of them are theoretically passable, but all of them are relatively narrow in places, have strong currents, shifting sandbars, and can have significant swell (Jupiter is the worst, I think; for the record, I live in and love this area). You can use any of these inlets, including Jupiter, if you want to wait for the right tide and wind conditions. Even Lake Worth is no cakewalk when the conditions are right, but you can basically forget about tidal heights and currents there.

Is there a reason why you don't want to look at the Lake Worth area? Yes, it is a little more expensive than Stuart/Ft Pierce (but a lot less than Ft Lauderdale/Miami/Keys). PM me if you want to talk by phone. Pete
Would like to talk. Coming down next Monday. Don't know PM
Ken
__________________

__________________
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Live Aboard Marina Near Savannah, GA msfranny Marinas 13 01-03-2014 19:48
The Live Aboard Challange: Not looking like a Float Aboard SV THIRD DAY Liveaboard's Forum 37 10-12-2013 00:42
Looking for live-aboard marina in or near Portsmouth,VA Jerry Meets & Greets 1 31-01-2006 16:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.