Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 07:27   #1

Looking for a 32-ft live aboard, motorsailor

Hey everyone:

After 30 years of sailing and cruising, I'm finally coming to the realization that I'm an old fart and need to cut back on the workload.

I really need to give up sailing altogether and get a power cruiser, but I like a sail for steadying, down wind work, and a back up to the diesel.

I just plan to run back and forth between Florida and the Bahamas a couple of times a year. Done with the adventures.

Looking for something in the 32-ft range that sleeps two. Could go a bit larger but don't want to.

Big priority is a step through transom. If you are going to swing the dingy in davits, there really is no other option for an old fart. I hate all those add-ons at the marine store: ladders and brackets and such. If the boat needs that kind of junk, the manufacturer should have built them into the hull in the first place. Propane tanks should not be swinging from the rail, that's for fishing gear.

Any ideas as to a rugged little boat that motors like a dream and doesn't roll the peanut butter off my toast?

Thanks all...
Bry
bcripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 18:05   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Looking for a 32-ft live aboard, motorsailor

Look at a Nauticat 32.

Or, just sail super conservatively, to de-stress your body. You'd have to turn loose of your "hero sailor" self concept, something I've found difficult, emotionally, but you can do a whole lot to make things easier on yourself when you do.

Or, consider a small catamaran.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 15-04-2016, 08:32   #3

Thank you so much, Ann. The Nauticat 32 comes closest so far to what I've been looking for. It leans more to the "sail" than I would like. But better that than the alternative. With an open transom and workable davits, (no easy feat, it seems), I can see this working for me.

Again, much thanks...
Bry
Old 16-04-2016, 18:30   #4

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

The Cape Dory 300 Motorsailer has a door in the transom that looks to leave a foot or less of transom you need to step over. Let's see if this picture can be posted here:
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 00:45   #5

There's an interesting motorsailer that popped up on sailboats-for-sale-by-owner a day or two ago. Finnsailer I believe is the manufacturer. Appears to be of quite stout constuction but they are only photos.

No connection to the owner or sale of the vessel but it's cool to looky loo and compare features.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 08:56   #6

Thanx for this. I'll have a look. It seems strange, but the Europeans have been into small, displacement motor yachts (Linssen) and motor sailors (Moody) for years. But the Americans seem more interested in go-go motorboats that can't blast over to the Bahamas without a reserve of 100 gallons strapped to the deck. Give me a thirty horsepower diesel, a great auto pilot and a fishing rod...
Thanks again, Bry
Old 24-04-2016, 09:35   #7

I really like the look of the Finnsailer Motorsailer, both the 29 and the 35 (nothing in between that I can see). European boat so slim chances of finding one for sale in the US. But anyway, it looks like it's been designed for the N. Atlantic, not the Bahamas; you would have to be a monkey to get on and off a boat with a canoe transom.

The Cape Dory 300 is more my style, but it doesn't come across as a liveboard to me. Open shelving and the berth isn't very inviting for a couple. Nice dockside boat, maybe. But I want to look a little further at the Cape Dorys...

Once again, thanks,
Bry
Old 24-04-2016, 09:45   #8

Schucker 436 motor sailer is 33 feet at the waterline, 13 foot beam. Very very live a board friendly

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 09:57   #9

A step thru transom on a motorsailer is a bit limiting. Hope you find what you need.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 06:03   #10

Thanks, brantleychuck...

Actually have friends with a Shuck for sale in Ft. Meyers. But it's too big for me.
Old 25-04-2016, 15:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcripps View Post
I really like the look of the Finnsailer Motorsailer, both the 29 and the 35 (nothing in between that I can see). European boat so slim chances of finding one for sale in the US. But anyway, it looks like it's been designed for the N. Atlantic, not the Bahamas; you would have to be a monkey to get on and off a boat with a canoe transom.

The Cape Dory 300 is more my style, but it doesn't come across as a liveboard to me. Open shelving and the berth isn't very inviting for a couple. Nice dockside boat, maybe. But I want to look a little further at the Cape Dorys...

Once again, thanks,
Bry
Hi again. This is the one that caught our attention. Somewhere in New York.
1970 Finnclipper motorsailer sailboat for sale in New York
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 05:51   #12

Thanks Sis....

If that FinnSailer had a step-thru tansom, I'd be digging for my check book!

If I was thirty years old, I could hook the dingy up to the davits and clammer up the stern. But not anymore, I'm afraid.

But really appreciate you looking for me. Thank you!
Bry
Old 30-04-2016, 14:23   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Bry, Don't be too quick to dismiss a boat like that FinnSailer because access from the stern is not "ready made" for your needs. My wife has Post-Polio Syndrome and has lost much of her leg strength. I constructed a stainless steel ladder fixed to the stern with the rungs fairly close together in order for her to access the stern from the dinghy.

When you find a good boat, don't hesitate to adapt a few things with a few hundred dollars here and there.
Old 30-04-2016, 15:30   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You might compare notes with RainDog & his other half, Ocean Girl. As they're making a change from a sailboat to likely a trawler (or perhaps a cat). And if memory serves, they've been hunting/shopping, for well over a month, if not longer. Thus, they'd probably have some useful info.
Plus, I think that they're down in your part of the country also.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 16:45   #15

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I consider a catamaran to be a great retirement boat because there are two engines, and it can be used as a power boat whenever you want.

When I was in Australia, I met a person who had a cruising catamaran without a mast, and he powered everywhere he went. Two small diesels offer great fuel economy.

We run our cat with starboard diesel for 12 hours, and then port diesel for 12 hours, and we only use both engines when punching into heavy conditions.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail