Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2020, 09:33   #1

Long Range Journeys

Hello, I'm new so apologies for any silly questions.

I have just finished a beginners course in sailing and want to travel as much of the world as I can as a liveaboard. I used to have a 25ft basic motor boat for offshore cruising around and fishing/snorkeling/diving etc.

Is it impossible due to fuel requirements to travel round the world in a motor cruiser? I am about to buy a 29ft Sea Ray Sundancer with 2 x 250 Mercury EFI and wondered what my capabilities to travel distances was?

Also to cruise as a liveaboard internationally, do I need formal qualifications?

Presently I live in Bahrain (Middle East) and won't travel far for first 2 years.

Or should I just buy a sail boat?

Thanks
George
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 09:45   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Long Range Journeys

If you are asking if you can literally sail around the world in a Sea Ray then the answer is no. I should imagine at the very least, it couldn't hold enough fuel or water to make it across an ocean.

I started a thread about "bluewater" powerboats once. It had some interesting replies worth reading. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-216116.html

As for qualifications, in general the answer is no, you don't need them. This is changing in places like Croatia and Greece and certainly to cruise some inland waters in Europe you need a license. I think it is refered to as a CEVNI, but don't quote me on that. Who knows what the future holds, but I would imagine for more crowded places that the need for formal qualifications will grow.

Sail vs power. I have looked at it a number of times and it always comes down to fuel costs for me. No matter how much motoring you do in your sailboat, it is almost always cheaper than a powerboat.

Just my 2 cents
Old 17-01-2020, 09:54   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Aw common, I bet no one has done it...he could set a new Guiness record...first circumnav in a small Sea Ray...maybe even get Sea Ray sponsorship...a YouTube channel...and Patreon donations! The possibilities are endless! [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 10:26   #4

(dup)
Old 17-01-2020, 10:43   #5

Seriously Cooper, do the math...its easy and will be good practice. How many GPH (or LPH) does a Sea Ray 29 burn at a reasonable cruising RPM? How fast does it go in static conditions at that RPM? What's its fuel capacity? All info you can google. With that info you can compute the maximum range under power...my guess is its not very far.

Then, look at a map and measure distances.

I think you will find the "no go" answer above is the most practical.
Old 17-01-2020, 10:52   #6

This is the kind of question where the only appropriate answer is: If you have to ask, then you are NOT ready for the trip.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 12:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
This is the kind of question where the only appropriate answer is: If you have to ask, then you are NOT ready for the trip.
Oh come on, give the guy a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1991 View Post
Hello, I'm new so apologies for any silly questions.

I have just finished a beginners course in sailing and want to travel as much of the world as I can as a liveaboard. I used to have a 25ft basic motor boat for offshore cruising around and fishing/snorkeling/diving etc.

Is it impossible due to fuel requirements to travel round the world in a motor cruiser? I am about to buy a 29ft Sea Ray Sundancer with 2 x 250 Mercury EFI and wondered what my capabilities to travel distances was?

Also to cruise as a liveaboard internationally, do I need formal qualifications?

Presently I live in Bahrain (Middle East) and won't travel far for first 2 years.

He's asking the right questions, basically knows the answers and is just seeking some validation/guidance.

Sometimes you guys are just too eager to pounce.
Old 17-01-2020, 12:05   #8

Thanks mate. This happens in life. Some people have negative advice and some positive.
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 07:35   #9

Quote:
As an intro to traveling far by motorboat, first look at the Nordhavn as sort of the common-man's gold standard motor cruiser. Then, from the Nordhavn, in the powerboat realm, keep looking for less expensive alternatives, trickling down through different boats (invariably trawlers) until you're in your price range. Pay attention to how the trawlers deal with rolling motion.

At some point, if you cross reference motorsailers vs the smaller trawlers you're looking at, you'll note that you can usually get a heck of a lot more capable motorsailer for the money of the trawler you're looking at. Motorsailer=best/worst of both worlds...boat that can sail forever (maybe relatively slower in light winds) or motor long distances if so desired. And then just look at regular sailboats with relatively small fuel tanks to see what you can get for your $ vs trawlers and motorsailers.

With respect to traveling the world, a $20-40k old sailboat will do it just as safely as a $400+k Nordhavn. Unless you're a trust fund kid or have great ability to make money in any economy, I'd seriously pass up on the Sea Ray. Very limited utility and certain to lose street value in the coming years with fewer people to offload it on.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 07:44   #10

Quote:

Thanks

George
If you really want to cover long distances (like circumnav), thats where sailing vessels shine. You can sail for days or even weeks without ever starting the engine. Example: I crewed on a NYC-Bermuda-Azores run this year...we were underway for almost a month...we only motorsailed for about 4 days total. All the rest was under sail only.
Old 18-01-2020, 08:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Well it has been done a few times in a power boat, but not with outboards, well apart from Edna who also had a mast on a rib which did the Atlantic in 1982 with a tarp for shelter and wore a wetsuit which resulted in dreadful rashes. Met him once for breakfast, barking mad, but great guy. Gave him a lift to buy a new battery on Sunday morning for his yacht whilst he visited England. Like to see that happen with Lithium

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...glance&s=books

Brian took a 24ft Zodiac Hurricane with a cabin around the world highlighting the benefits of bio diesel in 1995. Photo below.

Alan Priddy also took a 10m Ribtec around the world call Spirit of Cardiff and there is a book of his adventure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Priddy.

Alan had to deal with some interesting problems on the trip and the weather always seemed against him.

Would I take a Searay offshore, sorry George but no chance. However, there are more suitable small power boats that might make it.

Pete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunrider small.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	207160  
Attached Images

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 08:43   #12

George,

Those Merc 250 EFI engines guzzle gas. The newer generation DFI and four stroke engines are much more efficient. You would also need an oil tanker for the two stroke oil those things burn.

As far as Sea Ray goes, it is a near shore and coastal boat. My dad had a 34 diesel center console and we would comfortably pass 50+ Sea Ray's. They were scary in a following Sea and not up to a bluewater standard.

At a minimum, I would look for a 42 Lady Krogen and figure out auxiliary power. Keep the dream but be safe!
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 16:12   #13

Kadey Krogen - auto correct fail
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 16:39   #14

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
If you are asking if you can literally sail around the world in a Sea Ray then the answer is no. I should imagine at the very least, it couldn't hold enough fuel or water to make it across an ocean.
You can't sail a boat without sails.

Is it possible to diesel across an ocean? yes. Even in boats under 30ft it's possible. You see cruisers doing it all the time putting 30 fuel cans on the deck to increase their range beyond 2000 miles.

Is it respectful to cause unnecessary emissions just because you decided to use a boat that doesn't have sails?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 19:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
You can't sail a boat without sails.

Picky picky...

Just so you know, the Queen Mary 2 regularly sets sail across an ocean and, as far as I know, she hasn't a sail aboard.

Tags
grass