Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:25   #1

Long Island NY liveaboard

Hey folks,

I've been living on board my 30ft Californian for 2 years now down on the Gulf coast, but some job opportunities may be presenting themselves up in the NY/NJ area.

I was just curious if anyone has a recommendation for marinas on Long Island. I know the 30ft boat may be a problem with some marinas requiring 35 or 40 ft boats for people living aboard, so a different boat may be something in the cards. Plus I'm sure there would be some required upgrades for living on this boat in a much colder climate as well. For instance, any marinas with somewhat nearby access to trains to get to the airport?

Somewhere in between NYC and Coram NY would be ideal.
ERJpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 14:51   #2

Re: Long Island NY liveaboard

There are some Marinas on the Jersey shoreline across from Manhattan - Liberty Landing I believe which would be better if you are working in Manhattan and or NJ. The tolls have become hugely expensive.

There are several on the west end of LIS. But if you are working in NJ it would mean cross all of NYC. YUCK

Coram is in the middle of Suffolk CT. I don't think terribly close to the LIRR.

Between you have Northport, Huntingtom, Cold Springs, Oyster Bay, Port Washington

Use Google Maps or Google earth
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:10   #3

Well I may be flying regularly out of any of the 3 major airports, not sure which at the moment, however I'm looking into this because my girlfriend may be moving for her job to Coram NY. So something in between would be ideal, it would be a daily drive for her but less often for myself.
ERJpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:56   #4

Cap,

I am moored in Northport... and lovely harbor and wonderful town...Not far from Coram... About 1/2 hr depending on traffic to JFK and LGA... EWR is a obviously more of a challenge. I think it would be an excellent location for you two. Check out Britannia which has hundreds of slips.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 17:03   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We live in Suffolk County near Coram. Several friends are pilots out of the major NY airports - best rail link to the city is Ronkonkoma line about 20 mins away from Coram.
The south shore of Long Island (Great South Bay) has loads of marinas but little depth - OK for shallow draft boats. Check out marinas in Patchogue which is closest to Coram.
On the North Shore they're not too friendly to winter liveaboards in our area (we're in Mt. Sinai, Pt. Jefferson area). Hope this helps!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 22:15   #6

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Haven Marina in well protected Manhasset Bay welcomes liveaboards (your size should be ok).
Located in Port Washington which is 35 minutes by train to
Manhattan and about 25 minutes to JFK and LGA.
Thinking about an hour to Coram.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote