Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 11:49   #1
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 30
Long distance ownership

Ok, Iím currently at least 10 hours away from any ocean. Living in Northwest Arkansas. Iíve been sailing for a few years now and really want to do some coastal cruising (two or so weeks at a time). Iím trying to figure out the best way to do it. My thought is to do this a couple times a year as well as some weekend jaunts. My first thought was to buy a trailer sailer. But I think comfort level is limited, and not sure how good it would be as a coastal cruiser. Also thought about chartering but not sure if that would be the most cost effective thing considering I would be wanting to do this about 30 days per year. That and I like to own vs rent. Not sure if it matters but I would probably do this on the Texas Gulf coast somewhere, or somewhere within reasonable distance. Just want to hear peopleís thoughts or experiences with this sort of thing. Thanks!
__________________

SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:32   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Want a B430!
Posts: 999
Images: 4
Re: Long distance ownership

Dry store on land, launch before you get there.
__________________

Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:36   #3
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 30
Re: Long distance ownership

Interesting. Had not considered this option. How much does it cost to launch and haul out? Is it feasible to do over a long weekend? Is cost based on boat size?
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:14   #4
Registered User
 
JDeachman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tortola
Boat: Morgan 461
Posts: 29
Re: Long distance ownership

Not sure about the Texas coat, but we do this in the Caribbean. It's sometimes called a dry sail program. One downside is that you generally have to be onsite for the launch and haul unless you have a management company who will be there. Organizing a flight time to match a launch time can be tough, sometimes requiring a hotel for the night. At our marina you get a number of "free" launches and hauls throughout the period. Beyond that you pay. It's a good program.
JDeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:17   #5
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 30
Re: Long distance ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeachman View Post
Not sure about the Texas coat, but we do this in the Caribbean. It's sometimes called a dry sail program. One downside is that you generally have to be onsite for the launch and haul unless you have a management company who will be there. Organizing a flight time to match a launch time can be tough, sometimes requiring a hotel for the night. At our marina you get a number of "free" launches and hauls throughout the period. Beyond that you pay. It's a good program.


Thanks for this information. Certainly opens up a new avenue. Out of curiosity, what do you charge for the services?
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 14:34   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: dusty plains
Boat: someone elses
Posts: 32
Re: Long distance ownership

following
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 15:56   #7
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 30
Re: Long distance ownership

So I guess then the question becomes ďIs it more cost effective to keep a boat in dry storage or in a slip based on how much I will use it?Ē Also was thinking on some sort of time sharing boat ownership, but not sure how that might work.
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 16:15   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,236
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Long distance ownership

I commuted 2,000 miles to my boat for 4 years. Worked for an Airline so flying was free. Had to swap with other workers to get the time to spend more than a day or two which got old with my crewmates after awhile. The airline went belly up after 3 years which ended free airfare. Brought the boat close to home after a year of paying to fly. It was not a problem having the boat that far away except getting enough time to spend on the boat. Used a Bike Friday with a trailer/suitcase to get from airport to the boat and back. bikefriday.com

Kept the boat in a marina. Made friends with guys who actually used their boats and were around the marina regularly to keep an eye on it. Nothing ever came up, though. Dry storage could work if the yards are set up for it. Wouldn't have worked where I had the boat as there were no storage yards with access to a travel lift. Hauling the boat would've meant paying very expensive yard laydays at a boat yard.

As far as being practical, HELL NO. But then it's a boat and isn't practical anyway. In my case, free airfare made it possible. Also son and family lived in the area so it gave me a chance to babysit the grandson. The airline's bankruptcy and my son's job transfer out of the area eventually made having the boat there less than exciting so sailed it home.
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 18:11   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southern Calif.
Posts: 430
Re: Long distance ownership

I believe in your situation I'd lean towards a large trailer boat that can be sailed in the ocean or anywhere between. First choice would be a Corsair Tri, 31 foot and wicked fast.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...g#.W243JrmWy01
Or a Hake Seaward, I met a nice couple from Michigan with one wintering at Lake mead.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/cat...e/Seaward/32RK
Dry store or paint bottom and launch somewhere you can sail year round or move it as the seasons suit.
Florida in winter and San Diego, CA or Bellingham, WA in summer, you might get tired of palm trees.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 18:40   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Huntington NY
Boat: Tartan 3000
Posts: 264
Re: Long distance ownership

My vote would be for a trailer sailor. For one thing it would allow you to confirm the boats readiness prior to leaving home.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 09:04   #11
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 30
Re: Long distance ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I believe in your situation I'd lean towards a large trailer boat that can be sailed in the ocean or anywhere between. First choice would be a Corsair Tri, 31 foot and wicked fast.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...g#.W243JrmWy01
Or a Hake Seaward, I met a nice couple from Michigan with one wintering at Lake mead.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/cat...e/Seaward/32RK
Dry store or paint bottom and launch somewhere you can sail year round or move it as the seasons suit.
Florida in winter and San Diego, CA or Bellingham, WA in summer, you might get tired of palm trees.


Yep, Iím starting to lean toward the trailer sailer. Thanks for the advice and links. Seems to be the most cost effective approach. I would be saving a ton on monthly fees, maintenance, etc. although the two are extremely nice, I think I will need to stay under the 50k range. Iíve seen some nice ones out there. Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, com-pac 23, seaward 25, and a few 26 footers I cant remember the names. I think Iím wanting diesel inboard vs. outboard. The Nimble Kodiak Pilothouse looks interesting, but need to see it in person. Anyway, it looks like I have some good options. Thanks gentlemen for your input. Any more thoughts on good seaworthy trailerables is welcome.
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 09:46   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hailing Minny, MN
Boat: Vancouver 27
Posts: 857
Images: 1
Re: Long distance ownership

The NorSea27 is another great little trailer boat, but quickly approaches the budget. The pacific seacraft 25 with the tabernacled mast might be a good option as well. Headroom might be an issue in the PSC25.

We keep our Vancouver 27 in the caribe and sail winters. She has a trailer that's been sitting in NC for a few years now. Trailerable but not exactly trailer-friendly..looking at about 13,000lbs of towing including the trailer in our case. That's a big truck!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:17   #13
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 30
Re: Long distance ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
The NorSea27 is another great little trailer boat, but quickly approaches the budget. The pacific seacraft 25 with the tabernacled mast might be a good option as well. Headroom might be an issue in the PSC25.

We keep our Vancouver 27 in the caribe and sail winters. She has a trailer that's been sitting in NC for a few years now. Trailerable but not exactly trailer-friendly..looking at about 13,000lbs of towing including the trailer in our case. That's a big truck!
Good info thank you. I have an 07 Nissan Titan which can probably handle up to 7000 lbs. As far as headroom, Iím fortunate to not need more than 5í9Ē.
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:32   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New Zealand
Boat: 50í Bavaria
Posts: 171
Re: Long distance ownership

There was a good article in YM (I think) recently about "dry sailing". A guy in the UK who was sick of the rubbish weather and moved his boat to the west coast of France where he calls up, they chuck the boat in the water, and he flies over to sail it for a week or so. No maintenance issues and no worries about the boat being unattended in the water, and ended up cheaper than the marina fees in the UK even including the flight costs.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:53   #15
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 512
Re: Long distance ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRags View Post
Ok, Iím currently at least 10 hours away from any ocean. Living in Northwest Arkansas. Iíve been sailing for a few years now and really want to do some coastal cruising (two or so weeks at a time). Iím trying to figure out the best way to do it. My thought is to do this a couple times a year as well as some weekend jaunts. My first thought was to buy a trailer sailer. But I think comfort level is limited, and not sure how good it would be as a coastal cruiser. Also thought about chartering but not sure if that would be the most cost effective thing considering I would be wanting to do this about 30 days per year. That and I like to own vs rent. Not sure if it matters but I would probably do this on the Texas Gulf coast somewhere, or somewhere within reasonable distance. Just want to hear peopleís thoughts or experiences with this sort of thing. Thanks!
Another option is to buy a boat and put it into charter. I don't know about the Gulf but here in the PNW the boats tend to be older (late 90s to 2010s) and so a bit more affordable and you get a little less antsy about "damage" by charterers as they all have their dents and dings.

Depending on who you put it in charter with, you can take as much owner time as you want and the big plus is when you arrive, you step on to the boat and go... no delays due to maintenance issues or work that has piled up on the off season. Here in the PNW you will never make any money but if you are lucky you will break even ó which makes it way cheaper than chartering or just owning.

Just another way to get in some sailing time when you live thousands of miles from the boat:-)
__________________

__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Neverforever.ca
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ownership

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long, long, long boat projects skipmac General Sailing Forum 59 23-08-2016 15:54
Long long long time, but finally some progress rustypirate Construction, Maintenance & Refit 12 27-07-2016 23:16
Cats Better for Long Distance Sailing? Cavecreature Multihull Sailboats 68 29-05-2009 01:05
Long distance transport? dory36 Dollars & Cents 5 25-01-2007 12:35
buying and owning boats long distance capt lar Monohull Sailboats 10 29-03-2005 07:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.