Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 16:34   #31

Re: Living with Pain

Diclofenac sodium has worked for my knees and ankles rub it on as topical ointment reduces swelling and relieves pain. Thank god for Tylenol helps me get some sleep, but you can not have alcohol in your system when you take it. I have learned life is not pain free and tell my self that all the time trying to convince myself lol
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 17:02   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANET EXPRESS View Post
Diclofenac sodium has worked for my knees and ankles rub it on as topical ointment reduces swelling and relieves pain.
Just goes to show that 1 answer doesn't work for everyone. That stuff hasn't ever seemed to do anything for me and I put a lot more on than it calls for and still nothing really.
Old 07-01-2019, 17:02   #33

CBD oil, after forty five years as an offshore commercial fisherman everything hurts, this is what worked for me. My sisters doctors at the pain clinic prescribed it for her as well.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 17:45   #34

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Someone I know has been on a steady diet of NSAIDs for about 40 years, with no stomach trouble at all; ALWAYS takes it with food. Always with food.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 17:48   #35

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

yoga, cbd, thc
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 18:13   #36

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
It has been 3 months now of being back to full time liveaboard, after a 11 year hiatus, where the comforts of a house, business projects and far too many Resteraunt meals, took their toll on the body.

The good news is that the weight is coming off naturally, I'm on a healthy no carb diet, muscle mass building up slowly, no migraines and my BP is at acceptable levels.
Most importantly, I'm so happy being back in my element and away from the marina.

BUT, old injuries bring with it pains to knee caps, ankles (tore my Achilles Tendon two years ago) and of course the lower back, when I forget my age and use muscle over brains!

I never take pain killers, but that bottle of scotch is looking profoundly medicinal!
Any advice or suggestions?
No such thing as a healthy low carb diet. Adkins and “paleo” are a recipe for cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, cancer, IBS, acid reflux etc. The only “diet” that’s scientifically proven to prevent and reverse such illnesses is a whole-food plant based diet. References upon request, or do your own homework.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 18:30   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
No such thing as a healthy low carb diet. Adkins and “paleo” are a recipe for cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, cancer, IBS, acid reflux etc. The only “diet” that’s scientifically proven to prevent and reverse such illnesses is a whole-food plant based diet. References upon request, or do your own homework.
I have to agree with the caveat that I can't seem to completely give up seafood. I got my weight down by twenty pounds and feel much better, and almost zero digestive discomfort anymore.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 19:48   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Try curcumon, It's Tumaric which is a natural and powerful anti-inflammatory. My husband broke his knee into 9 pieces, and has it put back together with plates and screws. This has resulted in pain, as well as arthritis. Taking curcumon everyday has made a HUGE improvement. It's an herb/spice... it is not a drug.. it's non-addictive, and low-carb.

It is worth a try... you do need to take it everyday for it to build up in your system and to provide long term relief.

Great advice. I forgot about that and my back is acting up tonight. I just had some turmeric mixed with hummus as a spread, and will wait
There's been a lot of scientific evidence to substantiate Turmeric as a super food. Here is one reference, which includes links to others https://nutritionfacts.org/2015/09/1...ore-effective/
Old 07-01-2019, 19:57   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post

I have three suggestions. Feel free to treat them with disdain, but with chronic pain, you are probably willing to try anything.

My experience with whiplash neck injury may help you with your lower back pain. I'll try to keep it brief.

I've had two whiplash injuries from car accidents. The first left me with chronic neck pain for twelve years, before mysteriously disappearing. The second left me with chronic neck pain for nearly six years, before, in 2013, I read about some research that indicated that chronic lower back pain was successfully eliminated in 40% of cases by a simple course of antibiotics.

The suggestion for the most likely cause was that a bacterial infection got into the bloodstream, typically through gum disease, and from there into the spinal chord following soft tissue damage, where the bacteria was able to survive without being attacked by the immune system and in some way interfered with the pain receptors in the area.

Wondering if the same mechanism might be happening with my neck injury, I took a course of antibiotics and miraculously my neck pain disappeared. Of course, I can't say for certain that this was due to the antibiotics or that it wasn't coincidence, or the placebo effect, or better quality sleep (my second suggestion - see below), or something else. However, it's also possible that the pain from my first neck injury disappeared due to taking antibiotics, as my medical records showed that I took them at approximately the right time.

My second suggestion concerns sleep. A nursing friend of mine was, coincidentally, involved in some research that showed that pain from whiplash injuries was closely related to the quality of sleep experienced by the sufferer. This makes sense, if you think about it. Poor quality sleep causes stress and stress exacerbates tension in the neck muscles, which causes pain, etc. etc.. Clearly others think this too:

So, at the same time as I persuaded my doctor to prescribe antibiotics I also persuaded him to prescribe Mirtazapine, which is an antidepressant that causes extreme drowsiness. The first time I took Mirtazapine I slept for 36 hours without interruption! Prior to that I hadn't slept for more than three hours without interruption.

The funny thing about pain is that you don't notice when it goes, you just suddenly realise that it's gone, but you cannot say with certainty when it went.

My third suggestion is courtesy of my wife and has already been mentioned by Dan:

My wife used only a TENS machine for pain relief during her five experiences of childbirth and in some cases was able to sleep through her contractions. TENS didn't work for me, but clearly it works for others.

I hope something works, as chronic pain is a real drag. Good Luck

Chris

Chris -- whiplash causes a lot of issues and almost always results in damage to the Temporo Mandibular Joint (TMJ) (jaw joint) which is diagnosed as TM Dysfunction (TMD). A myriad of neuromuscular issues can stem from TMD because there are many nerves in that area, and inflammation/pain can cause muscle spasm and referred pain felt in other areas. Research TMJ symptoms online and you will find symptoms can include any of the following:

• Headaches around the temples
  • Headaches around the forehead
  • Headaches at the back of the head
  • Headaches at the top of the head
  • Sinus headaches
  • Pain behind the eyes
  • Earache
  • Ringing in the ears (Tinnitus)
  • Dizziness
  • Jaw joint pain
  • Jaw joint clicking or popping
  • Limited opening of the mouth
  • Grinding teeth
  • Neck pain
  • Shoulder pain
  • Numbness in the fingertips
  • Tooth pain
Edit: Also, a dentist trained in TMJ treatment can treat this, without surgery or harmful meds. The leading authority in this discipline is Dr Clayton Chan... He trains other Dentists in this and treats in his Las Vegas office. He also has a list of dentists on his web site who have completed his courses. https://occlusionconnections.com/
I have no affiliation, but my wife is a dentist who has been treating TMD more than 25 years and has taken all of Clayton's (and other) courses.
Old 07-01-2019, 20:36   #40

Boat: Catalina 470

I agree with Zeehags comment regarding hydration or lack of. I think most ,which includes me don't drink enough.

I have a bad neck,bad enough that it can make me throw up. I find if i forget to drink this can bring the pain on. Also I find magnesium helps , I was a sceptic but it seems to work.

I've been stationary for a couple of mths ,I started doing begginers yoga, it helps,we lose so much mobility as we age. Keeping muscles and joints mobile and hydrated takes more effort as we age.

I'm only 50, I know I'm starting to age ,had a game of lawn bowls with my dad the other day, how can I possibly be sore from lawn bowls...lol.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 23:04   #41

Boat: Caliber 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Try curcumon, It's Tumaric which is a natural and powerful anti-inflammatory. My husband broke his knee into 9 pieces, and has it put back together with plates and screws. This has resulted in pain, as well as arthritis. Taking curcumon everyday has made a HUGE improvement. It's an herb/spice... it is not a drug.. it's non-addictive, and low-carb.

It is worth a try... you do need to take it everyday for it to build up in your system and to provide long term relief.

I didn't know that!
I eat an Indian curry for lunch all most every day which of course contains curcumon. So that could be contributing to my well-being as well as exercise and sleep. And the love of a good woman.

So let's include diet: Indian diet using Mediterranean ingredients!
OndinePLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 00:21   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Another vote for Tumaric. Also the glucosamine chondroitin supplements.
I'm 70 and most of my pain is from injuries in the military 50 years ago. I use glucosamine chondroitin and started about 20 years ago. Now I only use it for short periods, but use Tumaric daily.

From exrays going back to the military, I have actually added cartilage. From the lower back to my feet, all the joints were damaged and most of the bones were broken. Some several times. I can't go thru airport security buck naked. So I go by boat.

I deal with the pain. I only use asprin or asprin like products OTC. I did the alcohol remedy for a long time, but it screws up your body and didn't work well with PTSD.
Having a boat, especially a large, old, wood boat has kept me mobile.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 17:37   #43

Boat: 1964 Chris Craft Sail Yacht 35'

I keep hearing more about the CBD oil and want to give it a try to see if it helps my chronic back pain. Is this something you need to get a script for? I'm sure it depends on the state you reside. Are there any reliable quality sources online because it is not the part of the plant that gets you high. I currently take curcumin and fish oil (not the gel tabs) the high grade liquid you need to keep refrigerated. This is a good thread!!
miked40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 20:13   #44

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Any advice or suggestions?

1) NSAIDs are great, they move the pain from muscles and joints to your stomach.
2) Opiates are great, they move the pain from today to next year.
3) Scotch is great, the trick is titrating the proper dose

My grandfather embraced a Nordic stocism and would never admit that he was in pain to anyone, especially himself. He was an M.D. I used to think his approach foolish, but have come to see why he did it.

In reality much pain cannot be treated safely and effectively and so people have to figure out coping strategies

I am fortunate that, like my grandfather, I don't have to deal with pain.... that's my story... and I'm sticking to it
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 22:53   #45

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
...I am fortunate that, like my grandfather, I don't have to deal with pain.... that's my story... and I'm sticking to it
Cute, but I think there’s something to this.

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about pain. I think the whole concept is actually pretty interesting.

I have chronic pain in my back, neck and ankles due to a long drop and a sudden stop many years ago. I purposely say I “have pain,” not “suffer from pain,” and I think this is important — at least it is for me.

Pain is just nerve receptors firing. Everyone, from the youngest baby to the oldest person, has pain. Some of us have more than others, but measuring or comparing pain is as impossible as knowing what’s really happening in someone else’s brain.

For me, I shy away from pain drugs most of the time. I’m not trying to be stoic. It’s just that when I take pain meds I suddenly become aware of the absence of pain. And this then brings the pain I normally have into focus.

I don’t want to take any drugs all the time, so instead I accept that my chronic pain is part of my normal background. I also accept that I have limitations on what I can do, and/or how fast I can do things.

I’m no hero about pain meds. I do take ibuprofen when acute pain flares (often after doing something I shouldn’t), but I don’t take anything to manage the chronic pain.