Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-04-2008, 01:12   #16

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Hey Therapy... Where in crime free Florida do you drop your hook at?

I wanna go there...

Old 30-04-2008, 05:43   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
A question for the Virgin Island contingent amongst us. Exactly where would someone actually live on a boat on St John?

There are a few live aboards in Cruz Bay, but I surely wouldn't want to live on the hook there. Crowded & lots of ferry traffic. The only other spot that I'm aware of is Coral Bay, which is a lot nicer, but just about as far away from stores and shops as you can get on St John. I've seen some boats in Great Cruz Bay--is that a live aboard anchorage?

Old 30-04-2008, 06:50   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen View Post
Hey Therapy... Where in crime free Florida do you drop your hook at?

I wanna go there...
I don't have a boat now (just a jon boat) and am wondering that myself.

I guess I was in the wrong-place-wrong-time and have a bad taste in my mouth.

Pretty normal reaction, really.

But after speaking to others (living there and tourists) and my friend having looked up stats I find that it is what it is - a depressed welfare state with unusually high crime rates. What it means to me that is different from FL is that the whole island is like that. I think there are many parts of FL that are not like that.

Maybe I live in the one safe spot.
Old 30-04-2008, 15:49   #19

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Hello to you all..............sorry for the long pause, had to duck from the automatic gun fire. I have been living on St Thomas for three years and have yet to hear any automatic gun fire. Have I heard gunshots? Yes. Would I really stay in a place for this long if I believed there was a good chance that I or my wife would become a victim of crime? No.

There is crime here. The murder "rate" may very well be higher than anyplace else in the US per capita. Out of the hundred or so people I know well here, I know of nobody who has been the victim of crime other than a stereo stolen from an unlocked car. My friends are also not out looking for trouble in areas one is likely to find it. In other words they are not out to get some illicit drugs at 3 in the morning in neighborhoods were that transaction could probably occur. There are areas here I would not go after dark. Most towns I've lived in have had places I would not go after dark. There are gangs and drug dealers here who do shoot and kill each other. I will bite my tongue here and say no more.

To answer Hud's question. I think applying for a long term anchoring permit and then a mooring permit for Coral Bay or maybe Chocolate Hole would be the only realistic options for a live aboard in St John. Great Cruz Bay might be an option. To verify one would need to contact the USVI DPNR and they will tell you where you may go.

Therapy, I do not discount that your friend who works in an ER does have many stories to tell. By the very nature of the job one would expect ER personnel to deal with the worst of the worst in anyplace they may work. Did I read your post right? You spent 10 days in St Croix and your car was burglarized? Would you care to add more details as to where you were, about what time it was and what was stolen? Did they break the windows out in your rental car to gain entry? Why does your ER friend stay in the VI if it is soooo bad? As to the whole island being a welfare state: WHAT? Have actually been to St Thomas? Have you been out around Peterborg or Cabrita Point? My guess that those folks will not be getting the economic stimulus check either. Using St. John makes your blanket statement even funnier. Last time I looked at the MLS listings one could not buy any real homes their for under $1 million. Our ideas of welfare are quite different.

Reality Check and Canibul both seem to have a good grasp of the situation.

Must run for the kevlar shielded bath tub before the gunfire erupts again......will check back when I think the bad guys are reloading.
Old 30-04-2008, 16:46   #20
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Quote:
Maybe it's the "urban myth" factor.
No urban myth: I was ripped off twice when living in the USVI.
Had a neigbor that was murdered by some rasta on dope and knew a woman that was raped, etc, etc.
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 16:47   #21

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I think Coral Bay is about the only place you may be able to truly live aboard... most others are seasonal at best. Cruze bay dose have a group of "standard" that come in for a while but I have never met one that lived full time.

One not often thought of "method" of being a live aboard for at least extended periods may be to work yourself into a volunteer position with the NPS as a Bay Host. I know several effectively live aboard in the bay they are acting as Host in but do have to do a bit of "work" welcoming the new boaters each evening... even when the weather may make you want to keep your dink tied up along side and stay dry.

Not sure of the exact procedure to become a host, did look at the web site some time back but don't recall the specifics. The ones I know appear to have one member who "works" ashore but comes home each evening. Alternates do exist as I have seen them take weekend get aways or even seasonal get aways and alternate Host perform the function.

These are typically really nice people who are great at letting you know what is going on and where to do what such as snorkeling and when and providing good safety advise. I understand the Que to become one is long for most locations but it may be worth checking into.

I know of two boats that are live aboards at Christmas Bay on Greater St James and they dink into Cowpet Bay and go to work in St Thomas. I've seen them jump in a small dink with kids to take them to the school drop off and go to work, on mornings I would consider too bad to pull anchor and go for a sail... of course I'm not in the have to go to work this AM mode when I'm in the area

ONLY 5 days and a wake up!!! I'll be back in the area.... may as well already be their as I have spent most of the day showing my 1st set of guest crew goggle maps of the places we will go on their 14 day swing around St. John with a short diversion to West End BVI at the end of their vacation... then I have the boat all to myself and I'll probably hang around Waterlemon for a week or so then which ever way the wind seems to want to take me or allow me to go with out appearing to work at it until the weather or July comes around when I'll have to put her on the hard and go back to work... if you can call what I do as work

I just told the lady that owns the Office building my offices are located in that it is getting too expensive to drive to work and live in Florida so I was going to the Carib and live aboard my yacht... she said she was going to hurt me
Old 30-04-2008, 17:14   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Roobikoop and Reality Check,

Thanks for the info. Nothing like "on the ground" (or water) opinions.
Old 30-04-2008, 17:52   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post

Therapy, I do not discount that your friend who works in an ER does have many stories to tell. By the very nature of the job one would expect ER personnel to deal with the worst of the worst in anyplace they may work.

OR but close enough. You are right there.

Did I read your post right? You spent 10 days in St Croix and your car was burglarized? Would you care to add more details as to where you were,

Dorch beach.

about what time it was and what was stolen?

Between 2 and 4PM

Did they break the windows out in your rental car to gain entry?

Not hard to access a Isuzu Amigo. Glove box locks but latch is not too secure.
Parked 15 feet from a family with 3 cars ("No, we seen nothing. We was watching the kids") and 20 feet from several other "beach goers" cars. Looked pretty normal for a beach on a Sat. afternoon.

Why does your ER friend stay in the VI if it is soooo bad?

He is on contract.

As to the whole island being a welfare state: WHAT?

As it turns out the island (islands) as a whole is right about in the middle of the US's Welfare states.
I looked at a couple of things.

http://srdc.msstate.edu/publications/reform07.htm

Within the Southern region, Mississippi has seen the greatest decline in the number of recipients in the region (71 percent). Kentucky, while higher than the national total, was the lowest of all the continental states in the region with a 48 percent decline. All but two areas (Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands) had declines higher than the national total (See Figure 4).

http://www.statemaster.com/state/VI-us-virgin-islands/eco-economy

VI is 33 of 54 states in number of welfare recipients per capita. Canít find the percents for St.Croix vs St. Thomas vs St. John separately.

Have actually been to St Thomas?

NO. Remember I was only on St Croix. I wrote what a boat captain and past cruiser told me about St. Thomas. I was introduced to grains of salt. OK, fine.

Have you been out around Peterborg or Cabrita Point?

Don't know those. Are they on St. Croix?

My guess that those folks will not be getting the economic stimulus check either. Using St. John makes your blanket statement even funnier.

It is well known (gee, I should probably not say it that way) that a lot of resident islanders have been forced off of St John in the past because of inability to pay taxes on what was theirs. This is not a new phenomena when the rich begin buying in an area they like.

Last time I looked at the MLS listings one could not buy any real homes their for under $1 million. Our ideas of welfare are quite different.

Reality Check and Canibul both seem to have a good grasp of the situation.

Must run for the kevlar shielded bath tub before the gunfire erupts again......will check back when I think the bad guys are reloading.

That is funny.
To sum it up........not easy.........

I said what I think earlier.

I am not going to search for statistics or info further. I have read the guide books and a bunch of other stuff.

I am glad you are fine on St Thomas.

I saw the tourist side of St Croix and the working and living side. I met many. Several who had been there for years. I met two others that have been there for 15+. I talked to a lot of people - natives (belongers - is that right?) and non.

I arrived at my own conclusions.

Funny how the 15+ year ones act as though burglary of home and car is just a normal sort of circumstance and just shrug it off.

I guess I expect too much.

NO MORE from me on this derail. Sorry.
Old 30-04-2008, 20:37   #24

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
PM sent Therapy. I don't think you derailed anything, to the contrary we showed differing views and experiences. Balance is good for any discussion. Thanks for clarifying your statement about the VI being a welfare state, it initially frustrated me. If you ever decide to come to St Thomas I would be honored to show you around and share a beverage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: