Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2013, 10:34   #1

Living At Anchor On A River?

Does anyone here do this? I would love some hints, tips, blog links etc. It's very easy to find folks living on the coast but not in the river systems of the U.S. It seems to be more common in the U.K.
jndough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 10:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Living At Anchor On A River?

In the EU its fairly common...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 15:47   #3

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I'am on the upper Mississippi mm283 & have seen a lot of boats that are cruising thru the area anchor out. They all have to stop at a marina sooner or later for fuel, water & to pump out the holding tank or to re-provision. Some will only stay in marinas so they have access to power, on a boat I helped bring over 500 miles down the river in October that's what we did because the gen quit the 1st day out. I have seen a house type boat with spuds that was anchored in a bay near Quincy, IL. I asked about him & was told he stays there all summer but moves it about once a month.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 16:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Re: Living At Anchor On A River?

We are about to become river rats. Gave up sailing last year, retired and bought a Mainship 36 Aft cabin. We are finalizing our projects as we speak. the weather down here in Houston, Tx area will clear by Sun. or Mon and then we are gone. Our first leg will be to head from Houston, Tx to Biloxi, Ms. (approx. 500 miles)and spend the rest of the winter in Biloxi.
Come late spring we will be heading to Mobile Bay, Al. ( only about 60 mi. from Biloxi and then head north to the Northern part of Ky. Lake in Ky. I think that will be about 1000 mi. or more. Haven't actually checked it yet. Gotta love a place named after KY. Overall, that's a lot of miles and hours at 6kts.
Anyhoo, we will spend the rest of 2014 in Ky. and think about where to go in 2015. Life is rough with these kind of decisions.

We are all packed and I just got my old HAM radio temporarily hooked up just to see if it still worked. Went to the County Clerk today and officially shut down my business in TX. Sat. we will go to the Post Office and change address. Pretty muych all I have to do now is look at Active Captain and copy a few satellite photos of prospective anchoring areas and marinas - not very many on the ICW in La.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 16:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I'am on the upper Mississippi mm283 ......
Where approx. is mile marker 283?
Old 19-12-2013, 16:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've spent much time anchored on the St. Johns River (estuary) in North Florida. Of course, all those that anchor on the coast are not chosing places exposed to the open sea. They are on rivers, lagoons, bays or estuaries, etc. Most of my experiences are in areas that are still close enough to the ocean to be tidal influenced. I supose that you are asking about those that are at places further from the ocean. I'll not respond with my accounts of places on rivers closer to the ocean and leave it to those further inland, but I can't imagine what the significance would be. I'll be interested in reading the reports.
Old 19-12-2013, 17:43   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I'm also not sure what you think the difference is going to be? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 18:19   #8
Marine Service Provider

I think the differences are depending on what river you are talking about. On the journey I am about to embark on traveling the ICW from Texas to Ms. will be a lot more difficult than going from Ms. to Fl. on the ICW.
The main drawback traveling from Tx. through La. on the ICW is going to be in Tx and La. We are talking narrow channels, shallow water, like in very shallow especially in winter and an unending array of commercial vessels. This puts anchorages very far apart. This must be well planned for in advance or you could get run over by the commercial vessels. The ICW in Ms., Al. and Fl. is a totally different story. This is more coastal with more bays and lakes and sooooooooooo much less commercial traffic. Little planning required here as the anchorages are all over the place. Lost of 'fraidy' holes everywhere.
Old 19-12-2013, 18:32   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

OK, We have done that trip a few times in both directions. We lived in Watergate for 2 years. The channels are pretty wide, lots of commercial tows use it, and it's plenty deep compared to the Atlantic ICW. It is absolutely no different than the AIWW, other than the commercial traffic, which we have done over 20 times. Lots of great places to anchor and I have never heard of a pleasure boat being run over by a tow. Stay out of their way and don't anchor in the main channels. Communicate with them on the VHF. Be sure to display proper anchor lights and have a class B AIS installed. The GIWW from Galveston to Apalachicola is some of our favorite cruising. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 00:55   #10

Hi,new here.Spent 25+ years as a liveaboard in the NY harbor.Spent several months at anchor or moored while they dredged the marina almost every spring/summer.Loved it.Kinda a pain when it was hot enough to run the A/C,which meant running the jenny.There was enough current to keep her broadside to the channel all the time.Big ships and tugs would send in 6,7 foot rollers in the middle of the night.Always anchored when I traveled upriver,dockspace was always 2 or 3 bucks a foot.Always towed a hardbottom Avon with an outboard and you could land it anywhere.I loved it.Going back to it this spring.Have fun.
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 06:08   #11

On the inland waterways marinas in general are cheaper compared to the coast so we saw fewer full time anchor outs but plenty living in the marinas.

One of the problems is the rivers go up and down (sometimes a lot). We got stuck in Grafton (just north of St. Louis) for a month when the Mississippi was flooded. The marina had to use a pontoon boat to get you from the docks to shore for a few days.

An anchorage that can be perfect when you drop the hook in the evening can be high and dry if they release water at a downstream dam or if there is a big rain event (sometimes far away), the quiet anchorage can become a raging river.

I don't want to create fear because the river system is a lot of fun. Pay attention and follow up with the lock masters and web sites and you should be fine. While the commercial traffic deserves respect, they were generally great to deal with and not a big issue.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 06:28   #12

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Thumbs up Re: Living At Anchor On A River?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I've spent much time anchored on the St. Johns River (estuary) in North Florida. Of course, all those that anchor on the coast are not chosing places exposed to the open sea. They are on rivers, lagoons, bays or estuaries, etc. Most of my experiences are in areas that are still close enough to the ocean to be tidal influenced. I supose that you are asking about those that are at places further from the ocean. I'll not respond with my accounts of places on rivers closer to the ocean and leave it to those further inland, but I can't imagine what the significance would be. I'll be interested in reading the reports.
Capt....what was your favorite anchorage on the St. Johns ??

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 06:56   #13

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

There are two things you will definitely need to pay attention to. The rapid drop of water level which could leave you trapped in an anchorage or up a small tributary. And the increase of current due to rising levels of flow due to heavy rains upstream. This current can pile debris up against your bow and anchor rode sufficient to either break the rode or pull the anchor out. You also need to TALK to the tow boats. They sometimes do some really unusual maneauvers getting the big tows around a bend. AIS is extremely helpful to identify the boat you wish to contact. When anchoring in the open river ALWAYS call the closet tow and let them know where you are, they will pass the information on to the others. Be safe and enjoy some of the best cruising available.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 08:38   #14

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Living At Anchor On A River?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Where approx. is mile marker 283?

The marina is on the Illinois side across the bridge from Louisiana Missouri. We're about 70 miles north of St. Louis.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:29   #15

If it's the one right under the bridge,it's a really nice place.Used to have a little blue? lighthouse I think.
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor