Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 11:03   #16

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: Living At Anchor On A River?

Yes the lighthouse restaurant is next to the marina, it closed this year and the owner of the marina bought it. Several of us are hoping that it'll be re-opened next season, it's nice on a Sunday evening when your wore out from the weekend to be able to walk to the Lighthouse for a dinner.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 11:14   #17

Boat: Island Packet 35

We just ran the ditch from Galveston Bay to Lake Charles expecting the worse as described by some. It was really far better than we expected sans all the biting birds (I think they call them mosquitos down there). Have done the ditch up the AICW and pretty much the same. We have done other bits and pieces as crew, and each area has it's own beauty and challenges. I don't know there are any areas I would want to anchor and call home as the seasons can really be extreme.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 15:26   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Capt....what was your favorite anchorage on the St. Johns?
Back when I had a boat that could get under the 45'MHW Shands Bridge at Green Cove Springs my favorites were at Silver Glen Springs and other wilderness areas along the edges of Lake George. I also like Hallows Cove and Pirates Cove (especially Pirates Cove in a storm). Old River by Blount Island is my Favorite for a place close to the ocean and ICW.
Old 22-12-2013, 01:18   #19

Boat: 24' wood riverboat pushing a new log raft every year

I've been living summers on my log rafts on the Yukon River. Beautiful. Looking fwd to buying a sailboat now and heading for the South Pacific/Philippines. Anyone can build a nice log raft on the Yukon and have a great summer float. Need a small riverboat and wall tent etc.
alaskalograft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 07:39   #20

This sounds great,man.If I was a little younger and hadn't spent two years refitting and planning my next,probably last long range cruise I'd look seriously into doing something like that.Have a great time cruising!!
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 00:33   #21

Boat: 42ft CHB Ponderosa

We live on the Sacramento delta in California. Lots of marinas and 1000 miles of waterway to explore. We've spent time on the hook over the years but do keep the boat in a marina. Hubby just retired so we are looking forward for more life on the river cruising and are planning to take the boat to the PNW in 2015. We have a 42 CHB Ponderosa and just love it.
Debstoy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 00:51   #22

Since the OP asked after living on the hook in a river I am wondering how one anchors in ice formation.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 06:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Since the OP asked after living on the hook in a river I am wondering how one anchors in ice formation.

Anchor then the river freezes & ice destroys the hull, mine is in it's slip with a de-icer to keep the ice from doing any damage to the hull. You would have to do that or haul out & block up on any river where ice would form.
Old 29-12-2013, 07:54   #24

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
We are about to become river rats.

from Biloxi and then head north to the Northern part of Ky. Lake in Ky. I think that will be about 1000 mi. or more. Haven't actually checked it yet. Gotta love a place named after KY. Overall, that's a lot of miles and hours at 6kts.
Anyhoo, we will spend the rest of 2014 in Ky.

I have my boat at the North end of Lake Barkley / Kentucky Lake, at Green Turtle Bay. Nice area to do any boating. The folks who run Active Captain stopped by the marina this past season on their Great Loop trip and posted good comments about it. Look up Land Between the Lakes and you'll see a lot of small bays to anchor out at. I've heard some of them can get pretty busy during the summer and weekends. I'll have my boat there until around Sep or so when I haul out for an expected move for work and to start refit time.

Have a safe trip.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 20:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Anchor then the river freezes & ice destroys the hull, mine is in it's slip with a de-icer to keep the ice from doing any damage to the hull. You would have to do that or haul out & block up on any river where ice would form.
If you're in an icy anchorage or marina you can buy a propeller driven ice proventor ? if you don't have access to electricity in most good farm stores.My boat usually is in a slip on The Hudson River.The river ices some years,Worse in the marina than in the channel.If it seems like it's gonna be a bad year,I make a run for Brunswick,Ga. or Fort Lauderdale.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:56   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegleg Sands View Post
............... The river ices some years,Worse in the marina than in the channel.If it seems like it's gonna be a bad year,I make a run for Brunswick,Ga. or Fort Lauderdale.
By the time I could judge that the year might be bad, it would be too cold for me to cruise. For me, if there were ever a day that the temperature stayed below freezing, it would be a "bad year". My ice experience is very limited. We bought our first liveaboard sailboat on November 15th, 1971 at a place up Spa Creek in Annapolis. On the morning of the 16th there was a very thin film of ice near our boat. We left that morning and that is the last ice we've seen! I admire those that can do it, but I can't imagine living where water outside can solidify!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:08   #27

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

There are a lot of people anchored in the river around Jacksonville, Fl. Probably everywhere in Fl.
Old 01-01-2014, 18:23   #28

There's been a few times I've had to be in NYC till Nov. 1st but if your situation allows you to head south,that's what I do.My parents have a house in Lauderdale with a deepwater dock so the price is right.I've sailed when the spray and fog would freeze in the rigging and on the deck.Not very advisable for singlehanding.What scared me most were the docks in the marina.I had a pair of golf shoes to make it up the ramps at low tide..I just happened into Brunswick,Ga. while visiting a friend on Sea Island.I fell in love with the place for some reason.
Old 07-01-2014, 17:51   #29

Peg leg I was just wondering if this is one of those bad years? It's looking that way here.
Old 07-01-2014, 18:26   #30

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Peg leg I was just wondering if this is one of those bad years? It's looking that way here.
I guess you could say that, 11 below zero tonight on the Hudson River, been brutal here since late fall, have to have two bubblers going in the slip to keep the hull free of ice.
Dickinson diesel heater is my best friend today.

Tags
anchor