Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-11-2013, 11:37   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Living aboard, what does it take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
EDIT:
Backreading, I see I forgot about insurance. At this rate you will probably not have insurance. God help you if you are a U.S. citizen with no health insurance. If you wreck the boat, it's gone. You'll have to start over.

artm -- what are you talking aobut - a us citizen with no health insurance -- there is a whole posting on the current issue in the usa -- and we are usa citizens with no health insurance and got great health care in the caribbean both on the west side and the east side and now in tunisia -- and very inexpensive i might add

chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 11:41   #17

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
artm -- what are you talking aobut - a us citizen with no health insurance -- there is a whole posting on the current issue in the usa -- and we are usa citizens with no health insurance and got great health care in the caribbean both on the west side and the east side
You're about to receive a new tax, then. I can only presume that failing to pay the tax will result in tax evasion charges, then prison.

The penalty in 2014 is calculated one of 2 ways. You’ll pay whichever of these amounts is higher:
  • 1% of your yearly household income. The maximum penalty is the national average yearly premium for a bronze plan.
  • $95 per person for the year ($47.50 per child under 18). The maximum penalty per family using this method is $285.

Old 13-11-2013, 12:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
You're about to receive a new tax, then. I can only presume that failing to pay the tax will result in tax evasion charges, then prison. The penalty in 2014 is calculated one of 2 ways. You’ll pay whichever of these amounts is higher:[*]1% of your yearly household income. The maximum penalty is the national average yearly premium for a bronze plan.[*]$95 per person for the year ($47.50 per child under 18). The maximum penalty per family using this method is $285.
Which US cruisers out of the US for a certain number of days are exempt from.

If you're cruising around the world, ACA is not a concern at all.
Old 13-11-2013, 13:20   #19
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post

What'd you guys think I should budget for monthly? Or maybe it's better to ask what you guys budget monthly and what that budget includes?

Thanks!

You will never get an answer to this question. I know as I've been trying for 8 years. Your best bet is to search for cruiser blogs and see if they have a cost section. hen look at what they do and adjust for what you think you will do different. But be aware that it seems most cruisers that have blogs are better off money wise (maybe not rich but aren't suffering).

Also be aware of the difference between cruising and just living on your boat in various places. I know of a cruiser who spent almost $3000/mo cruising during a circumnavigation, but the last 4-5 months has spent only about $1000/mo at anchor in the Caribbean for the winter. A lot depends on where you decide to go.

For me and my wife I'm budgeting $2000/mo for the first few years, then $3000/mo later as we age and are less willing to do without and rough it. This number includes everything with no "it depends".

BTW - I got to the $2000/mo by knowing what I spent on land and on the boat now and then taking out things that would no longer apply and figuring boat maintenance costs will increase.
Old 13-11-2013, 13:37   #20

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Also remember....it is far better to budget for too much and finish your trip with money left over than to budget not enough and run out of money en-route.

Probably the single biggest cost could come for boat repairs that are needed as an emergency where the costs for parts, labor and haul out might be much more than you anticipate. The hardest part is planning for those.
Old 13-11-2013, 13:40   #21

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
Also remember....it is far better to budget for too much and finish your trip with money left over than to budget not enough and run out of money en-route.

Probably the single biggest cost could come for boat repairs that are needed as an emergency where the costs for parts, labor and haul out might be much more than you anticipate. The hardest part is planning for those.
To repeat a previous poster, the reality is that you will probably go on what you've got, and you'll make it work according to your capabilities.

Maybe you're different, and can control your income/budget, but most people are better starting with the question "How can I go cruising on MY budget".
Old 13-11-2013, 13:40   #22

Boat: 42' Sportfish

GalaxyGirl's blog has compiled cruising costs reported by several cruisers. Find one of her posts here, follow her links...

-Chris
Old 13-11-2013, 13:52   #23

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
You spend between 50% and 100% of whatever you spend on land. Everyone is different but the percentages are about right over a year.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 15:37   #24

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

My wife and I have a monthly live aboard budget of $3,100 Seattle, WA.

2 people

Moorage (70 ft) $800
Maintenance/haul out $300
Insurance (boat/car) $400
Medical Insurance/expense $600
Food/cloths/living $500
Fuel (includes heating) $300
Misc. $200
Total $3,100

Insurance is 1/3 of our cost of living. South of the board probable would be cheap?
Old 13-11-2013, 17:03   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
What the hell are you doing at $3000 dollars a month on a 29 foot boat?

I cruised for almost three years on my 47 foot boat and averaged that, including marina charges.

I cruised for two years on a 36' boat and got by on less than a third of that. But that was 35 years ago, when things were just a bit cheaper.

The problem with figuring out how much it costs is there is a huge difference between your ongoing, day to day costs and the occasional big expense.

Day to day the cost is for food and drink, fuel for engine and cooking, marinas if you do that, going out to a restaurant, etc. If you are frugal and stay out of marinas then the legendary $500/month goal is very achievable. UNTIL it's time for new sails or new rigging or your transmission blows or you have to make an emergency trip home or some other rare or infrequent expense.

This part of the costs is hard to nail down. Sure you can plan for replacing sails and rigging periodically, haulouts every year or two and similar, depending on your use patterns but how can you plan for exactly what day your engine blows up or if you need an appendectomy?

So I budget for the regular, ongoing expenses like food, fuel, insurance, marinas (not often), hauling and bottom paint, etc but keep a good sized savings account for the occasional large expenses that will inevitably come up.
Old 13-11-2013, 18:29   #26

Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'

Mate, if you can live on $5.00 a day in Australia (I can but I'm a local) then you'll survive on any budget. Go out and enjoy yourself!

BTW I lived in Bruxelles for three months and worked in Molenbeek. Love the "cartoon city."

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 03:43   #27

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Mate, if you can live on $5.00 a day in Australia (I can but I'm a local) then you'll survive on any budget. Go out and enjoy yourself!
."
Five dollars a day in Australia ! Thats too much, why I could live on four dollars.
Old 14-11-2013, 05:06   #28

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
Five dollars a day in Australia ! Thats too much, why I could live on four dollars.

Don't see how. Wifey was just in Canberra on business, I understand even the candy bars were around $5... ??

-Chris
Old 14-11-2013, 05:29   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Living Aboard, What does it Take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
You spend between 50% and 100% of whatever you spend on land. Everyone is different but the percentages are about right over a year.
This calculation holds true with us. We regularly cruise for most of each year and our costs are always greater when we stay in a marina for two or three months. Our costs go down about 20% while we are out.

Tags
living aboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: