Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 12:53   #31

Re: Living Aboard in Vancouver ?

I lived a number of years in False Creek. You might have better luck on the north side (where I was near the Plaza of Nations) as you might be able to score a slip at one of the commercial (party boat) docks. You have to knock on a few doors, but it may pay off depending on the size of boat you're getting. Anchoring in False Creek sucks (because of the vehicular and vessel traffic), but can be done in front of the Science Centre dome. The "Wick" might have a slip, but again it's "who you know".
Good Luck.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 13:25   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
I lived a number of years in False Creek. You might have better luck on the north side (where I was near the Plaza of Nations) as you might be able to score a slip at one of the commercial (party boat) docks. You have to knock on a few doors, but it may pay off depending on the size of boat you're getting. Anchoring in False Creek sucks (because of the vehicular and vessel traffic), but can be done in front of the Science Centre dome. The "Wick" might have a slip, but again it's "who you know".
Good Luck.
I don't remember the clearance of the Cambie Street bridge but I know I don't fit. Shame since there's always a lot of room on that side. I guess that's why.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 13:32   #33

Pier 32 on granville island is live aboard. About ten slips 40-50 + ft. The docks are being renovated right now.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 14:16   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I don't remember the clearance of the Cambie Street bridge but I know I don't fit. Shame since there's always a lot of room on that side. I guess that's why.
The Cambie Bridge has 42' at MLT. That said there's a 1/2 marinas before the Cambie. The Burrard has 80'. You could try Thunderbird.

Old 07-12-2011, 14:54   #35

Boat: 32' Cutter

I like were this is going. I'm a full time live aboard in Gibsons Harbour. If it all goes well and happens again I would love to join. Always love a reason to get some small winter trips in, why not the big city. (A day there and a day back.) Do they still sell those gigantic apple fritters on Granville Island? If they do thats a reason right there.

All the best to everyone,
Luke
LucasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 15:16   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasM View Post
I like were this is going. I'm a full time live aboard in Gibsons Harbour. If it all goes well and happens again I would love to join.

Thems my stompin' grounds. Had a slip in Sechelt (between the pub and the float plane dock). A friend of mine (Murph) lived at Gibson's for years. Have they gotten a new dock master yet?

Old 07-12-2011, 15:29   #37

Boat: Islander 34

I don't have much time to post right now, as I'm in Sausalito trying to get everything ready to leave for San Diego on Friday, but if you're interested I spent the last three years moving from an IT job and a basement apartment to squatting in False Creek / Kitsilano Beach on my sailing trimaran. I blogged the whole thing... disengage.ca
Old 07-12-2011, 15:41   #38

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I stayed for a few years at Thunderbird over near Eagle Island off of Marine Drive in West Vancouver. That was a couple of years ago.
Old 07-12-2011, 15:50   #39

Boat: 32' Cutter

SeaHunter,

I too lived aboard in Sechelt (1995-98.) Then moved to Gibsons and have been on and off several different boats since then (S.V. Lari-gru, M.V. Esperanza, and now S.V. Sunshine Girl.) If its the same "Murph" he now works at "the bitter-end" in Gibsons but no longer lives aboard. The current Harbour master is named Bill (the last one was Bob) both nice guys in my opinion.

When I was a kid living down there with my dad, Logs used to float into the Harbour and other peoples boats, Bob used to pay me $2 per log to tow them back out with my dinghy. That could add to six bucks a day if the Katabatic winds were going strong out of Squamish. It does feel like times are changing around here. Property investers from the city have big plans to develop the waterfront and that meens more pressure to get rid of the "live aboard" issue. This Harbour will always be my home (hopefully not just in my heart.)

The already "cleaned up Sechelt" (kicked the live aboards out.)

I hope that gives you a rough idea of whats hapening in your old stomping grounds.

Luke
LucasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 16:18   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasM View Post
If its the same "Murph" he now works at "the bitter-end" in Gibsons but no longer lives aboard.
Yeah, Murph retired from the Bitter End and now belongs to the Palm Springs Yacht Club.

Quote:
The already "cleaned up Sechelt" (kicked the live aboards out.)
That's one reason I moved on. It's funny, for a town with water on two sides, they don't cater to boaters at all. It's too bad they're so myopic while being so close to Squamish, Princess Louisa Inlet, points north and the best cruising scenery and conditions you'll find anywhere. Gibsons is going to go the same way to make room for VYC members, their ilk and the fashionable stores they'll build to supply themselves in the lap of convienience they've become so accustomed.

Old 07-12-2011, 16:51   #41

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah

I'm not sure who (if?) anyone else is coming out to the Wicklow tonight apart from us, Nomadica and bajabound... I was just thinking of how we'd find each other... I'll tell the hostess/waitress we're here with the Cruisers Forum group. If that fails, I'm a short brunette wearing a blue sweater. Brodie is a freakisly tall guy with a beard. Hope to meet some of you, and hope we can get a few more people if we meet up in January!
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:06   #42

Boat: hunter 376

I can't make it tonight, but I would love to have all of you over to the False Creek yacht club as guests for your next little get-together. Good food and drink, great view, and a chance to meet more Vancouver sailors. Have a great time tonight.
David
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:39   #43

Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird
I can't make it tonight, but I would love to have all of you over to the False Creek yacht club as guests for your next little get-together. Good food and drink, great view, and a chance to meet more Vancouver sailors. Have a great time tonight.
David
That would be wonderful! I will report back on tonight's meeting.... And hopefully we can do these monthly!
Old 07-12-2011, 17:44   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
I don't have much time to post right now, as I'm in Sausalito trying to get everything ready to leave for San Diego on Friday, but if you're interested I spent the last three years moving from an IT job and a basement apartment to squatting in False Creek / Kitsilano Beach on my sailing trimaran. I blogged the whole thing... disengage.ca
Great blog! Had trouble finding your older entries when you first started living aboard? Those would be of the most interest to me.

ps- See some of you at Wicklow tonight!

pps- Thanks for the invite David, that sounds great!
bajabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 10:10   #45

Hey there! I plan on joining the anchoring crew in false creek in the new year (was planning on being there by now but pushed back due to engine troubles and sailing over from Victoria). A quick question for you false creek inhabitants. Where do you leave your tender when you go in for work/play? just wondering what you all do.

Looking forward to joining the community!
thezar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard, vancouver