Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 23:14   #16

pirate Re: Living aboard in the med

Thanks for all the replies, it seems we have an awful lot to think about but more importantly lots to look forward to. We're both keen sailors and love it, Jim is happy in any weather, I on the other hand much prefer fair weather sailing but can cope if we get caught in a huley!!
Eleven years ago we decided to get off the tread mill and spent three years sailing the med but stayed round the Balearics, Sardinia, Scillily, Malta and Gozo it was an amazing time and we met some great people. We always planned on doing something similar again but desperately wanted to sail to Australia, but early this summer Jim was diagnosed with stage 3 follicular lymphoma so he is currently undergoing treatment. We are hoping early Feb 2016 that will be finished and he will be on the maintenance programme where we just have to fly back every 8 weeks so we have brought our plans forward and will need to be fairly near to airports with cheap flights to the UK.
We had a hunter 45 which was great but we sold it last June so we haven't a boat at the minute, we are looking to buy a Jeanneau 49, we are looking at a few including some ex charter ones from Croatia.
Cchatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 23:27   #17
cruiser

Re: Living aboard in the med

For Med cruising, make your life easy by purchasing a powercat. Faster passages when necessary, larger living platform, easy on the eyes compared to a catamaran and less roll in an anchorage.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 23:56   #18

Thanks but not interested in a power boat, absolutely love the sailing, can't beat it in my opinion, understand why you're suggesting it but they're not for us.
Cheers
Old 04-10-2015, 10:28   #19

Hi guys
Croatia is lovely and the sailing is excellent.
A word of warning if you're not using the marina's , the holding ground is not good for anchoring , ( I often just tied to a tree on an Island as got sick of dragging my anchor ).
I personally saw yachts sucked out of harbours by boats left unattended and the harbour masters couldn't care less.
Apart from that the Islands are wonderful , fantastic scenery and friendly people.
Lately the Islands to the north of Split has been turned into a national park and they charge about $20 to sail there.
Dubrovnik is a marvellous old town that you shouldn't miss.

I wish you all the best
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:42   #20

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchatters View Post
Hi
I'm new to the forum so please be nice to me!
My husband and I are looking to take a few years out and spend it on our boat in the med, we did this about ten years ago and spent the time around the Balearic Islands, Tunisia, Morrocco, Scillily and Sardinia. We didn't get the chance to go to Croatia, Greece or Turkey.
We would really like to sail around the Greek Islands, my husband has cancer so we need to fly home every six weeks for treatment, has anyone got any ideas, recommendations of good anchorages, places to stay in the winter etc.
We love to sail, we like mixing with people but hate crowds and hate very touristy places but love to mix with the locals and meet other liveaboards.
Look forward to hearing from you
Christine
Hi Christine. Welcome to the forum.

Along with all the great feedback you will receive on this forum, you may also want to look at Noonsite.com (if you haven't already...)

Noonsite is for cruisers and includes content focused on the specific types of questions you are asking. To help get you started (and I apologize if you are already familiar with the resources available on Noonsite...) here is their information regarding Greece.

Best wishes for you both!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 05-10-2015, 18:21   #21

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Just dropping in to say how sorry I am to hear of your husbands cancer Christine. I really hope that the treatment is not too arduous, and a complete success. Good on you both for despite that, determining to live your dream as much as you can.
Good on the contributors for offering their advice to assist you in making the most of your time over there.
Wishing you both the absolute best in this,
David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 22:20   #22

I really have to say a huge thanks for all the really helpful comments, tips and kind words from the many contributors. It's just another reason why I love sailing, us sailors are very helpful but not intrusive, just pretty awesome
Thanks again and hope to meet some of you sometime, the world is a pretty small place after all
Old 05-10-2015, 23:14   #23

Boat: LAGOON 400

CF resident promoters for each area came out

You better do your own research.

Balearics for me was too deserty. Extreme heat at night and no moisture and no wind.

Croatia is ex italian colony that where they got their architecture. 2 mths of swimming season except if you russian.

Greece lots of history, huge, good bbq, but you can eat only that much spit roast and greek salad.

Turkey pretty but also too deserty for me.

Everywhere: too much pollution. I think balearics came the best in that respect.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard