Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 16:01   #1

Living Aboard in the Bay Area, with dog

My husband and I are looking for a liveaboard marina in the East Bay (I'm fog averse) that is likely to have openings in the not-so-distant future and will allow dogs. I like the idea of being close to Oakland or Berkeley, so Alameda seems like a good option. But the dog-friendly issue is a deal breaker with us (our dog is nine and we're committed to her).

I grew up cruising and my dad lived aboard in both Sausalito and Emeryville when I was in high school, so I have a pretty decent understanding of the liveaboard scene in the Bay Area. That said, this will be my first experience living aboard in adulthood (my husband and I are in our thirties, professionals, recently returned from several years in NYC), so any advice or guidance on how to find a slip would be hugely appreciated. It seems as if the pickings are relatively slim and the costs are fairly high. We're used to city living and like being close to bars, restaurants, etc. if possible, so that's another consideration for us. Our boat (still in the process of being bought) will be a 50 or so foot motor yacht.

Thanks!
Freda
scooteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 17:59   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Living Aboard in the Bay Area, with dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteroo View Post
My husband and I are looking for a liveaboard marina in the East Bay (I'm fog averse) that is likely to have openings in the not-so-distant future and will allow dogs. I like the idea of being close to Oakland or Berkeley, so Alameda seems like a good option. But the dog-friendly issue is a deal breaker with us (our dog is nine and we're committed to her).

I grew up cruising and my dad lived aboard in both Sausalito and Emeryville when I was in high school, so I have a pretty decent understanding of the liveaboard scene in the Bay Area. That said, this will be my first experience living aboard in adulthood (my husband and I are in our thirties, professionals, recently returned from several years in NYC), so any advice or guidance on how to find a slip would be hugely appreciated. It seems as if the pickings are relatively slim and the costs are fairly high. We're used to city living and like being close to bars, restaurants, etc. if possible, so that's another consideration for us. Our boat (still in the process of being bought) will be a 50 or so foot motor yacht.

Thanks!
Freda
Register at ActiveCaptain.com (free) and you can easily look up all of the Marinas on the Oakland Estuary. SOme of the better ones are Jack London Square, Marina Village, Fortman Marina, Grand Marina and Alameda Marina. It's been some while since we quit California but they were some of the better spots while we were living at Barnhill Marina (now gone).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 18:10   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Living Aboard in the Bay Area, with dog

Marina Bay in Richmond should have live aboard space now. Dogs are ok though they tack on a pet fee too. Not too much fog, though it an get a little breezy there.

D dock area will give better weather protection.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard