Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 02:46   #1

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Living Aboard in QLD, Australia

Hi

Does anyone know if the Queensland Govt allows liveaboards in that state? Its fairly clear the NSW is very anti living on board legally, does anyone know of other states that are more open minded in Australia?

Regards
Damien
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 06:45   #2

have a look at Tradeaboat magazine, they have a Qld liveabord writer,
there would be plenty of LA's up there,
kwmarina.com.au is just one l found,
chrome dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 16:18   #3

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. N.Z. is very liveaboard friendly. Most marina charge a daily fee to liveaboard and some of the marinas have time limits. Lots of possibilities to live both on the hook, mooring or berth. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 16:53   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We used to live aboard in Mooloolaba at Lowry's Marina.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 17:04   #5

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
live aboard is ok in qld but the numbers are restricted to about 10% of the number of boats that could be moored & there is a fee on top. clubs will normally want membership for long term.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 23:26   #6

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
None of the marinas I stayed in at Queensland had any dramas with liveaboards and I was lucky to never have to pay a surcharge for my short-term stays.

I just had a bit of a look at the situation in over the net in Darwin and one thing I did notice was one marina charged more than double for living on board. I suppose you could take the opposite argument that it is cheaper just to moor the boat? Another marina charged a similar rate, but limited the stay to a month.

Likewise some marinas around Hobart seen to welcome liveaboards. Whether it is “legal” or not might be a different question. Kind of like when I went to the MSB in NSW and asked about a swing mooring and was told they “frown” on people living aboard at the same. “frown” is a lot different to “fine” so whether or not they enforce the regulations can be up to the individual officer, your behaviour or maybe even sheer luck?
Old 29-08-2010, 23:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'day, mate. N.Z. is very liveaboard friendly. Most marina charge a daily fee to liveaboard and some of the marinas have time limits. Lots of possibilities to live both on the hook, mooring or berth. Cheers.
Mate – for me that's a serious option and might be on the cards yet! Just need to get past that Tasman Sea after a bit of work on the boat and I might sail over and sample the well-known hospitality and beauty NZ has to offer.
Old 30-08-2010, 03:01   #8

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
My boat is on a Government pile mooring at Mooloolaba but living aboard is not permitted. Visiting boats are allowed to anchor and live aboard in the river for 11 days maximum. But in reality it takes the govment awhile to chase you away.

What's the situation in other ports/harbours along the Qld coast re: anchoring and living aboard ?
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 03:18   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I am curious…. Why are live aboard cruisers charged extra at marinas? What is their stated justification?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 03:38   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
There would be the extra costs of water, electricity, insurance, higher duty cycles on infrastructure - eg laundries toilets and etc.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 04:22   #11
CF Adviser

Most marinas have individual power/water meters for each slip, cruising boats usually shower, do laundry and toilet on board if a pump out station is handy, so that would just leave wear and tear walking on the dock.

I have never been charged a premium as a live aboard anywhere in the world, so this seems a pretty light justification to me, that we should resist.
Old 30-08-2010, 05:49   #12

Boat: Privilege 37
In UK, a lot of push back from marinas about liveaboards is due to some ocean gypsies ruining it for everyone. Some of the legislation/rules are there to enable such marinas to force less desirable inhabitants to go elsewhere.

Provided you leave the marina and sail , stay overnight elsewhere and return on a reasonably frequent basis. Maintain a neat and clean upperdeck, and thus blend in with the rest of the marina, most of them in UK are quite happy to effectively have additional security staff! The key is to not officially ask!
Old 30-08-2010, 16:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am curious…. Why are live aboard cruisers charged extra at marinas? What is their stated justification?

Here are links to the marinas in Darwin I mentioned above. Although there are extra costs involved with liveaboard I am still not sure how the first justifies the extraordinary difference? The second seems to have no surcharge, but genuine visitors can only stay a month.

Marina

Cullen Bay Marina | Breaking News
Old 30-08-2010, 16:49   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

We've been charged liveaaboard fees at many Qld marinas over the past decade. They started as innocuous additions, but have gradually crept up to serious money for the budget-minded cruiser. I have asked the staff at many of them why they feel it necessary to make the charge, and the answer has always been "we have to because all the other marinas do". They don't even try to justify it with arguments about extra costs to the marina. What BS!! The answer is simple: greed, coupled with a capive audience of folks who have no other homes, plus a chronic shortage of marina berths along the coast.

I suspect that we're stuffed...

As to the legality, it seems to be vague, but who can afford to challenge hte rulings in court?

For cruisers the obvious answer is to avoid marinas whenever possible. We tend to only use them when we need shore facilities to do some job on the boat, ar when we need to leave the boat for a while (when the liveaboard fees are not an issue).

This past season we've noted a larger number of empty berths in many marinas. Perhaps this trend may invite more considerate treatment for us... who knows?

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Hook Island Qld, northbound
Old 30-08-2010, 23:43   #15
CF Adviser

I think you have nailed it Jim, but I do disagree, that we are powerless to change it.

Individually no, but collectively as a cruising association yes!

As a super yacht captain, I have dealt with unscrupulous marinas trying to only allow specific vetted service companies access.. (meaning that only tradesmen who paid the marina a percentage, were allowed to access our yacht)

Most famously at the Auckland Americas Cup Village in 2000.

Upon arrival and finding out the score, I organized a quick meeting with the management and about 20 super yacht captains to ask them to justify their reason.

Of course they tried the public safety - insurance red herring, which was easy to discount, so after we all said that we would specifically not use any companies that are in cahoots with them, they quickly dropped that rule and we captains were able to negotiate on an even playing field with all the available businesses in Auckland.

Cruiser’s unite and do not allow this disease to spread!

Tags
Australia, living aboard