Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-04-2008, 08:11   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSailor View Post
Tonight, there are 131 condos listed for sale between $112,000 and $200,000. They go up from there. Depth is usually an issue around here. Where I am, the slips have filled in over time if they weren't used by a sailboat. There are some big sailboats around, so I know there are accommodations, but you have to check on a case by case basis.
Incredible. I can't even buy a lot for that amount of money here in CA and then in a nice place like the Ft Meyers area I can get a condo with a boat dock. I guess hurricanes scare people more than earthquakes.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 08:42   #17

Boat: 1973 Pearson 26
Iannen:

Theyíre out there. Iím in one, but I have a 26í boat that draws 4í. My neighbor has a 35í boat that draws about the same. Weíre often on the bottom at low tide. In fact, during the winter, my boat is occasionally leaning on the pilings. The bottom line is yes you can find a direct access condo starting at $700 per month. The question is, can it accommodate your boat? If youíre serious, Iíll send you that link, too.

-Jim

Old 19-04-2008, 09:53   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Katie, I hate to say this but what you'd like is irrelevant. The market minimums are so far beyond what you are looking for, that "it ain't gonna happen". I'm reminded of a "flip this house" home show where the new owner "wanted" to spend $2000 renovating the kitchen, and after interviewing contractors for three weeks (and getting $30,000 bids from all of them) she still was looking for someone more reasonable who would meet her price wants. (Never happened, she took a bath.)

You need to look at this the other way around. Find out what marinas are charging in that area (and you don't "join" a marina, you join a yacht club), find out if they charge extra for parking (some do) and see who can accomodate a 7' draft. Moorings will be cheaper than dockage, but that means rowing in. And Florida means some serious preparation for hurricane season.

Whether you choose boat or apartment ashore--I think you are going to find that Florida is a VERY expensive place to be, your budget wants might be fully 3x-4x too low to start with. $250/month for a 45' boat? In the US? That would be a very good trick twenty years ago.
Old 19-04-2008, 09:54   #19

Charlie:

I don’t think it’s the hurricanes as much as it’s the real estate market here. Just to give you an idea of what happened, I almost bought my neighbors condo two years ago. At the time we had it appraised and it came in at $325,000. She just sold it for $125,000. As far as rentals go, there are so many vacancies that rents are at the lowest we’ve seen in many years. At the risk of sounding like a salesman… there are some opportunities here. For example, recently there was a sailboat access home listed for $99,900. Granted it was an old 2 bed / 2 bath way up river (Caloosahatchee & I75 – 5hrs to Sanibel?), but if all someone is looking for is a home port, it could serve the purpose.

Jim
Old 19-04-2008, 10:56   #20

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
KK,
"No experience with living on a boat. I like the idea of this, but where would I be able to keep a car in within walking distance from the place I rowed in from? Thank you!"

1 block away!!

I see that there is quite a bit of good info about the FT. Myers area. That should do you well if that is your destination. Let me know if you would like more info about the Sarasota/Bradenton area

mm
Old 20-04-2008, 21:06   #21

Katiekates:

Two things:
  • Something to keep in mind as youíre looking through Cape Coral, there are a few canals that have powerlines go over them. If the owner/agent isnít a sailor, they might not think about it. I already told you the Cape Coral Bridge is 55í, right?
  • I might have an apt and slip for you at $750 month. Iíll PM the details & contact info to you.
-Jim
Old 22-04-2008, 12:31   #22

Boat: Catalina 400
Jim, Kaite, and others on this thread:

I have no dog in this fight. If it works for you, go for it.

But sailboat access sounds better than what it is. You need UNRESTRICTED SAILBOAT ACCESS. About 1/2 of the cape is shut off by a 55' powerline across the enterance to bimini canal (I think it is Bimini, just east of Tarpoon Point). That is where my house was... on the river side of the powerlines. It has been a few years since I lived there, but I hung up with 5'4 coming in off the entrance from the ICW. To tell you the truth, I have hung up IN THE ICW with 5'4.

But forgetting the mast height, I will tell you from many years of experience that the water there is "a mile wide and a foot deep."

Punta Gorda is really no different. FYI, the Technical Editor for Catalina (before me) SOLD HIS BOAT ONLY BECAUSE HE LIVED IN PUNTA GORDA ON A DEEP WATER CANAL (unrestricted acess) AND COULD HARDLY GET OUT!!! His boat drew 5'10. 7 feet in SW Florida is the kiss of death.

I was there in January. I was on a a V-42 that drew about 6. We hung up twice and got within inches more than I can tell you.

I am not trying to doubt Jim or his advice. As a mortgage broker, I assume he knows more than me. But what he is talking about is competely different from the reality that I lived for years and different than anything I have ever heard.

I had to back out of three houses because of draft (before my final house). All three of them were UNRESTRICTED, DEEP WATER, SAILBOAT ACCESS. By the way, unrestricted is what you want... not sailboat access. Sailboat access will be 55 if you are lucky. THere are not a lot of unrestricted. The issue was not the water sitting off the dock. The issue was the approach and silting in a the mouth of the enterance. The bridge at Ft. Myers Beach is 65, so I assume that would be ok for you?? That is deep water draft on the mooring balls (many of them, at least). If you head up the east side of the split after the bridge and go by the shrimp boats, you will have a lot of water... but be careful.

If Jim can find you an unrestricted, deep water, sailboat access canal and apartment with over 7 all the way in for less than $1,000 - go for it. Sounds like the deal of the century. But make sure before you sign on that dotted line that you put in a disclaimer that you have to get your boat in there. THen hop in your dink and grab a handheld depth finder and spend a Sunday on your approach. You will likely be suprised. I honestly hope I am wrong... honestly. But I just got a call last week from very, very well known realtor in SW Florida wanting to buy a Catalina 400, and she was worried about 5 1/2 (that is actually 5'10). Forget 7. And did I tell you that in a northern (winter) those canals have a real tendency to get low (the locals say empty)?

I am not trying to be a jerk or cause problems. I am just being honest and giving my first hand experience. SW FL is a beautiful place to live, and a horrible place to keep a large (deep draft) sailboat.

Regards,

- CD
Old 22-04-2008, 14:16   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CD-
"But make sure before you sign on that dotted line that you put in a disclaimer that you have to get your boat in there."
You are obviously morally and ethically impaired, but don't worry, there are twelve step programs to help you get rid of both.[g]

I'd write that clause to say if my boat couldn't get in without grounding at low tide, the sellers would have to buy me a custom keel. I'm thinking, something nice with tungsten or spent uranium sabots in it. WTF, might as well get something back in exchange for your time and effort, right? Backing out of the deal and letting them get away with the wrong description, that's just too "turn the other cheek".

Come, join my twelve-step program. You too can learn to be a b@stard, a robber baron, a real tycoon.[g]
Old 22-04-2008, 14:28   #24

Boat: Catalina 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
CD-
"But make sure before you sign on that dotted line that you put in a disclaimer that you have to get your boat in there."
You are obviously morally and ethically impaired, but don't worry, there are twelve step programs to help you get rid of both.[g]

I'd write that clause to say if my boat couldn't get in without grounding at low tide, the sellers would have to buy me a custom keel. I'm thinking, something nice with tungsten or spent uranium sabots in it. WTF, might as well get something back in exchange for your time and effort, right? Backing out of the deal and letting them get away with the wrong description, that's just too "turn the other cheek".

Come, join my twelve-step program. You too can learn to be a b@stard, a robber baron, a real tycoon.[g]
Hey Hello, what about a free solar stik instead?? HEHE!

- CD
Old 22-04-2008, 18:27   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Hey Hello, what about a free solar stik instead?? HEHE!

- CD
I seem to be lost, I thought this was Cruisers Forum. Is that you conky??
X
Old 23-04-2008, 22:00   #26

C Dad

I didn't want to turn this into a Sale-ing forum, so we continued with PMs. You are absolutely correct and I've been warning everyone who asked for more information. Those power lines are often overlooked by those who don’t sail. As far as depth goes, it’s always a problem around here.

There are condos listed at that rate, but we have no way of knowing about the depth-restricted access without more research. If there has been a sailboat in the slip that draws 6’, it’s probably still ok. However, if there hasn't been a sailboat at the dock, it's probably filled in quite a bit. There are a few big sailboats around here, but not many. I draw 4’ and wouldn’t want anything deeper. I can go out for a daysail in the river. A friend drew 7’ and couldn’t get out unless he caught the highest high tide. Then he would head for the Gulf. He wouldn’t bother to go unless he could go for weeks at a time.

It’s not perfect around here, but if someone needs help finding a place to keep a boat, I’ll do what I can.

Tags
living aboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: