Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 04:54   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Living Aboard in British Columbia

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RainbowSailor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 12:32   #47

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmark View Post
As for the dinghy, cant you buy one that inflates and deflates and you dont have to leave it at the dock or hidden in the trees.
Sure you can, but I'm betting you'd give it up within a few months.

Realistically, an inflatable dinghy tough enough to survive every-day use as your primary way to and from your home in any sort of weather - with a bicycle onboard, no less - is going to weigh about 50lbs deflated and won't fit into a backpack. I know a guy who used much smaller, lower quality inflatables, but he had to replace them pretty much monthly and I had to rescue him several times.

I've been through several dinghies over the last few years - a folding Porta-Bote and a Zodiac hard-bottom were the most useful. f I were to do it again from the start, I would choose a small, sturdy fiberglass rowing dinghy. Something ugly enough to prevent people from stealing it, large enough to carry me and a friend and my bike and some groceries and no larger, and something with positive buoyancy and strong oarlocks. Something that rowed well! I'd go straight to the longest solid-wood oars I could get (seven-foot minimum!) and make sure that everything not nailed to the boat had a padlock on it. By locking my oars to my Porta-Bote, I was able to leave it dragged up onto public beaches without locking it to anything immoble for days at a time without having it stolen... that's in the winter, of course, I sure wouldn't try that in the summertime!

Quote:
Anyway, ya so my idea was just anchor offshore in a proper place, and have one of those decent rowing dinghy's and or ideally some sort of converted electric bike setup to swap back and forth from dinghy to bicycle as I am ashore with electric bike in hand.
Have you spent much time with the electric bike yet?

I'd strongly consider ditching the electric and spending a lot of time ocean-proofing a regular pedal bike... electric bikes are mostly plastic import crap, much heavier than your average bike and definitely *not* made for daily use in a marine environment. Depending on your boat you'll most likely have to leave the bike outside all the time and you're definitely going to dunk it in salt water sooner or later.

I'd replace all of the bolts with stainless steel, put an "inox" (ie stainless) chain on, and keep everything well greased... I did this with mine, but then a rogue wake dumped it in 30' of murky water off Kits Beach and even divers couldn't get it back.
Old 26-09-2011, 13:06   #48

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I have looked at many web sites for marinas on Vancouver Is. and Gulf Is. with the intention of liveaboard. So far, there are not enough photos or information on most. Looks like I may have to fly out and look around!
I think that most of the marinas around here see no need to market themselves because they are already full. There seems to be openings in Sept and Oct and then again in April and May but they fill quickly, often from a waiting list. Some marinas that allow live aboards will tell you they don't if they haven't met you.
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 00:22   #49

Interesting thread, I'm also looking at moving from a West End apartment to a live-aboard motor yacht, so I can get out of this dismal city in the winter.

Does anyone have a current list of Vancouver live-aboard moorage options, approx wait times, maybe even rates?? Would be very helpful to me, to help this newbie decide if living on a boat is practical in Vancouver.
SkyePN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 14:54   #50

Boat: 1974 Cascade 36, 1970's martin 29 racer/cruiser, 40 indonesian teak atkinson project dual mast ketch

To reply to the suggestion of a anchoring to having a pin or mooring bouy in
Ladysmith. I have lived and grew up in ladysmith spent over 20 of my
30 years there and spent a lot of time at the docks and boatyard the area
Your talking about is known as the dogpatch and the joke goes hang out
There u will get fleas. There is a major theft and drug problem there. Unless
U plan on having a dog on your boat and trying to fins stolen property like your
Outboard I would do it. Your much better off sneaking aboard one of the 3 marinas there. Or anchoring further down past page point or by transfer beach. Umay be able to find some shelter on the other side of woods island. Any over ehich would be a 10 min or less dinghy ride into the dinghy dock at the boat launch. There are many of my friends living aboard in these areas but a few seagypsies have ruined it a lot for everyone else. By the way if u need parts theconsignment section at ocean marine by home hardware is great and 15 min walk from the shore or dock.

Captain shawn spencer 28 hull 6
And soon to have 30 footer
Captain-Shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 22:23   #51

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I have looked at many web sites for marinas on Vancouver Is. and Gulf Is. with the intention of liveaboard. So far, there are not enough photos or information on most. Looks like I may have to fly out and look around!
We lived aboard at Fisherman's Wharf at the docks associated with the condos at Pier One - both in Victoria on the other side of the harbor from West Bay. We had good experiences at both. We also lived around the corner in Sidney, BC which is a great walkable town but I'm sure more difficult to find work in. I wouldn't like to ferry commute but if I *did* Sidney would be a much better option than Victoria. Much closer to the ferry terminal.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 12:24   #52

Boat: Norsea 27

One of the great things about BC is the goverment wharfs, those red ones. I've known people in the construction trades find places to moor that was fairly convenient to where their job was. The monthly rates are reasonable, set by one of the three government agencies that control them. Closer to town it can be a little harder to find a place amoung the fishing boats. I'd hesitate trying to anchor out as there's not that many secure anchorages, especially near town. Nanaimo, has tried to discourage anchoring out by filling the bay with their own bouys. Whatever you choose it will be an adventure.
Barry
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 14:31   #53

Boat: 46 Maple Leaf

If you need to be near Vancouver and don't mind a small ferry ride and expence try Bowen Island, like many others not a legal liveaboard marina but I lived there for some time with no problems.
meandmyhunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 20:14   #54

Boat: Catalina 50

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there is always the river. We had lived on the Fraser for a number of years and it worked out well enough. Great place to get your feet wet (or so they say)
svasunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 18:57   #55

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I am retired and keep thinking about living aboard on Salt Spring Island. R there any liveaboards from there or the Gulf Islands on this thread? I would like to hear about Winter conditions etc.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:18   #56

Boat: 1988 Bayfield 36 (46 LOA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChow View Post
Hello, I'm very interested in living aboard, have been for most of my life. I'm still a about a year away from it but I can't stop thinking ahead. :-) I have around 100K dedicated for this so far.

It's my understanding the marina situation in Greater Vancouver for liveaboards is pretty bleak. Unless you feel like waiting anywhere from now -> eternity.

I'm wondering what the situation is like in other areas. Relocating is an option for me, my only real requirement is it has to be within commuting distance of civilization so I can pursue employment. I'm plumbing apprentice and once finished I should be able to find work just about anywhere near it.

I'm guessing somewhere on the Island is the only real option. But I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the Sunshine Coast, or Bowen Island, or any place really.
We just looked at this recently, and yes, the marina situation is pretty packed and long waiting lists and really expensive -- which says a lot coming from the Greater Seattle area (another super expensive live aboard place). We found some less expensive ones along the Fraser River (thanks to a tip found here); but, it's still a crap shoot to get a spot. Good luck. We've found that the best bet is to go and meet the people in person if you can swing it.
ProteusRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:02   #57

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Sounds like you are getting heaps of advice and a great review of the pluses and minuses of living in the Vancouver area aboard.
When I worked commercially on the BC coast, part of my time was out of Vancouver and I found that living on the Fraser River to be the cheapest and most friendly as well as secure.
It is a bit of a haul into town but certainly doable. Lived in the Port Moody area for many years aboard my Ingrid 38 and was never hassled over my liveaboard status.
You have an enviable trade and should make great money. Your chosen profession should take you all over the area so you should be able to move fairly frequently and not wear out your welcome. Most marina managers I have met would welcome a tradesman such as your self and be willing to bend a few rules to get you into their marina. Although there are many spots along the river where you can tie up securely and park a car nearby.
It has been many years since I worked tow boats and fish boats in BC so my advice is probably pretty dated
,Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia, living aboard