Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2008, 20:21   #1

Boat: Pearson 36, S.V. Distant Star
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Living aboard at anchor...a day in my familys life.

For the past 6 months of our 2 years living aboard we have been at anchor. We are a family of 4 living on a Pearson 36. Granted we have the extra space of Lola, but shes the one that gets to leave the mooring.

Our daily life is a little tough, getting up at 0500 every morning to get some food cooked for the kids and taking that long dingy ride in. We leave the boat at 0630 since the dingy is a bit slow with the whole family loaded in plus the dingy dock is pretty far away. Depending on the tide, we may get there in 10 minutes or 25 minutes. My wife takes one kid to work with her and the other goes to daycare.

On to my day, i take the dingy back to the boat and start keeping up with the boat projects. Depending on if ive got an outboard to fix i may work on it in the cockpit or head to my granddads place to work on it. If i havent been at the boat all day i will hook up with my wife and figure a time to meet for the dingy ride back. If ive been there all day she calls me from work and i kill time up at the gas station.

We have propane heat and cooking, but we don't have pressure water on board, nor do we have hot water. For showers we get a friend of ours to watch the kids wile we go get a shower at the marina, or we get them at my grandparents place.

Most everything that takes power on our boat is 12v, but we don't have a motor or solar panels to charge the battery. I've got an AirX, but without blades its worthless. To keep the batteries charged ive got an older gas genny that lives on the deck. I start it in the morning when we leave and let it run untill its out of fuel(about 5-7hours).

The end of our day is a movie with some friends over.
Old 15-01-2008, 05:36   #2

Boat: First learning :) but I'll buy one once im ready.
Wow , maybe it's tough , but it sounds really worth it.
I remember as a child how I wished I could be in a faily like that .
Cheers

LBCS
CptnLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 10:13   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version
Wow, you're way more hard core than me.
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 10:40   #4

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Very interesting, although all of my kids are now gone, that is how I would envision how we would have done it.. More power to you..
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 13:16   #5

As hard core as it sounds, I do believe that most people can and have adapted to that routine. You sure have and it sounds GREAT!! People do forget that they really don't need much to live well or be happy. Most everyone forgets that and they tend to surround themselves with "stuff" thinking it is essential to their lifestyle or to live well!

I love hearing this type of story as you are truly living the independent dream!! Thanks for sharing!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 17:51   #6
cruiser

Been there... done that and going to do it again.

We (just the wife and I) lived aboard for the past 2 years and spent 2/3 of that time working from anchor as well. When we weren't anchored out (we anchor 3-5 nautical miles out normally), we were docked for the winter in the snow, ice and temps that approach and dip below zero. We also cut, split and hauled our own wood which was our only source of heat.

The dinghy rides back and forth are brutal, boring and time wasting - I agree and have complained before about it. Even worse... when you have to row 3 miles because your outboard dies.

We also had no hot water (didn't need it), but we did have the pressure water.

You know what? Despite that hardship (which makes you a stronger person in general), we loved the life. We are currently on land now after having sold the boat because we have to save up some money and switch boats (ours was too expensive and we had a loan).

I do have one comment from experience. You need to devise a better way to charge your batteries. Your charger is WOEFULLY inadequate if you are running the generator for that long. You should be able to fully charge up your batts (to a reasonable amount) in no more than 3 hours. I did it in about an hour, but recently (with a battery monitor) found out I was running the genset way too much. I only have to run it 3 hours twice a week now that I can see the state of the battery charge. Get a bigger charger that will get those batteries charged faster. With the price of gas, you are spending more on that genset than a charger would cost. You could save a ton of $$. Also, the genset will last much longer with a better charging setup.

PS: Can't wait to get back to that lifestyle! Land is making me feeble and weak! ha ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 17:59   #7

That's my dream lifestyle, right there.

Question: Do you live on anchor because you don't have money for marina or prefer it that way?
Old 16-01-2008, 15:57   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty16 View Post
That's my dream lifestyle, right there.

Question: Do you live on anchor because you don't have money for marina or prefer it that way?
Not sure which person you're talking to.

If you're talking to me it was because we were poor. BUT... I must say we discovered what I consider the most enjoyable lifestyle that way. Now that things are improving financially (knock on wood), I am anxious to get back to that lifestyle.
Old 16-01-2008, 17:00   #9

Boat: Pearson 36, S.V. Distant Star
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I like on the hook since the marinas around here are out of my price range. Also theres the whole issue of insurance and the fact that my boat cant be insured untill ive done some repairs.
Old 31-01-2008, 17:39   #10

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
I'm just curiouse? You mention you have little kids, so you must not be retired. You also mention you drop your wife off to make it to work. What do you do? Do you work or just fart around all day?
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 17:59   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
fart around all day?

Now I always thought that was more of a South Shore expression. ha ha

I didn't know the fancy types up in Northport used it. I stand corrected.
Old 31-01-2008, 22:14   #12

Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
Quote:
fart around all day?
Gotta keep that gas genny going somehow...
Old 11-08-2008, 04:41   #13

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Quote:
I'm just curiouse? You mention you have little kids, so you must not be retired. You also mention you drop your wife off to make it to work. What do you do? Do you work or just fart around all day?

My God man, nobody just 'farts around all day' on a boat! Sometimes it looks that way,but one could be contmplating a course of action. Also, that may look like a rum and coke in my hand but it could be an energy drink too. One cannot make assumption when it concerns boats and boaters. Whoops, gotta go, the iceis gone in my energy drink....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:36   #14

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
My God man, nobody just 'farts around all day' on a boat! Sometimes it looks that way,but one could be contmplating a course of action.
That is funny and true and it sounds like me .
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, living aboard