Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 09:22   #1

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13
Living Aboard and Wishing Otherwise . . . Is it Just Me ?

Oh goodness... I've yet to rediscover the "magic" of having previously lived aboard and cruised. ... I can't even get exited about getting the boat squared away for a leisurely daysail. Am I alone in my sentiments?

Cruising aboard S/V Blondie-Dog
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:28   #2

Re: Living aboard and wishing otherwise... just me?

I'm sure you're not alone. It's not the life for everyone (and thank God for that!). I'm sure that for many the reality turns out to be quite different from the dream. So you adjust and move on.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:32   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I love pretty much everything about my boat and I love sailing....but I would'nt want to try and have it as my primary residence.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:41   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Blondie,

I think with age and with a lot of liveaboard experience the "newness" wears off and the desire for more comfort comes to the forefront. There are constant maintenance issues even with smaller fiberglass boats and that becomes tedious. The social aspects are different for liveaboard sailors than they are for landsmen. There is always the worry of what the next hurricane season will bring and how you and your boat are going to weather the storm.

I met so many folks who just could not understand why I was living on a boat.

I will mention that owning a home has a lot of the same aspects of maintenance but is more stable.

I don't think you are alone at all. Glad you brought it up because I'm certain there are a lot of folks out there that might be thinking the same thoughts but could be too timid to bring them up.

kind regards,
Old 08-06-2011, 13:19   #5

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Re: Living Aboard and Wishing Otherwise ... Just Me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Blondie-Dog View Post
Oh goodness... I've yet to rediscover the "magic" of having previously lived aboard and cruised. ... I can't even get exited about getting the boat squared away for a leisurely daysail. Am I alone in my sentiments?
I'd agree, it's the lack of newness. Just starting off your head is full of all the possibilities, but you've likely already been there, done that and now you just want the head to stop smelling.

I'd wonder if you started planning a big trip to someplace you've never gone to before if the excitement would start back up. Or if the magic is just gone, do something else. Sell the boat, buy a RV and do some land cruising maybe?
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 17:35   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There is no "magic" to wear off! It may suit for a short or a long time. Nancie and I are starting our fortieth year of living aboard and currently in the Pamlico Sound on our way up to Baltimore. Presently, my refrig/freezer is "acting up" and I'll either fix it or buy a new one. Isn't that what the people in houses do? I've never owned a house and 'haven't mowed a lawn since the spring of 1965. Is there something I'm missing?......maybe!
Old 08-06-2011, 18:51   #7

This topic is great! For people like me, it's good to hear the down sides to living on a boat. Usually all you hear is the good parts. I'm no young guy, but I'm not old yet either. By the time my son gets out of high school I'll be 46-47 yrs old. By then I will have no bills and hopefully have what ever boat paid for. That way I don't have to worry about much. But as we adults know, sometimes you have to be careful for what you wish for.
Lifegoal2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 20:07   #8

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

I could go on for thousands of words, but to be succinct, I will share a few thoughts about it all. Nothing stays the same. When I was a kid I drove across country on the only trans USA highway, US 40 the Lincoln Highway. Every town was unique, every restuarant was unique, every sight was unique, all the girls were beautiful and trim. My car was simple and easy to fix. Just an engine with a hole in it where the air and gas mixture went in and the exhaust put-putted out the tail pipe forever. When I started living aboard in the early 70's, it was all very simple and unique. Harbors had few marinas and few rules. Destinations and islands had small populations and were unique and beautiful. Wildlife, including seafood, abounded. Now those destinations are mostly wall to wall condos, resorts, same intersections on every highway with rules, regulations, fees, taxes, pollution, crowds, same-o same-o most everywhere. Too bad!
I suggest you buy 20 acres of secluded undeveloped land near the coast in Alabama, with a Grady swamp. Dig out a large pond in the middle. Put your boat in it and live there on it. The fish and wildlife will find your pond, your taxes will be almost nonexisistant.....Seriously....I did it, except my beautiful Rob Roy is on a trailer next to my little house. Life is good.
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 20:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Fred View Post
I could go on for thousands of words, but to be succinct, I will share a few thoughts about it all. Nothing stays the same. When I was a kid I drove across country on the only trans USA highway, US 40 the Lincoln Highway. Every town was unique, every restuarant was unique, every sight was unique, all the girls were beautiful and trim. My car was simple and easy to fix. Just an engine with a hole in it where the air and gas mixture went in and the exhaust put-putted out the tail pipe forever. When I started living aboard in the early 70's, it was all very simple and unique. Harbors had few marinas and few rules. Destinations and islands had small populations and were unique and beautiful. Wildlife, including seafood, abounded. Now those destinations are mostly wall to wall condos, resorts, same intersections on every highway with rules, regulations, fees, taxes, pollution, crowds, same-o same-o most everywhere. Too bad!
I suggest you buy 20 acres of secluded undeveloped land near the coast in Alabama, with a Grady swamp. Dig out a large pond in the middle. Put your boat in it and live there on it. The fish and wildlife will find your pond, your taxes will be almost nonexisistant.....Seriously....I did it, except my beautiful Rob Roy is on a trailer next to my little house. Life is good.
Not to belittle you, but man you sound more like you just got divorced lol.
I think the good thing about people like me is that I've never seen what you have so I don't know what I'm missing. But I can relate. I use to live in the country and from 11yrs old worked as a ranch hand. No one hauls hay anymore. They all use round bails. There are no more small working ranches for kids like my son to work on and grow on. I learned alot about life doing that. So I can see your point. But I have a house. I have a great job, I even bought another jeep to build. But I still feel like life is dull. There's no pizazz any more. It's like I've been there done that. Been married twice, blew more money then I'll ever make again. And what's left? No all I want is to slow down. Chill out and sit back with some good music a drink and a good breeze.
Lifegoal2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 20:35   #10

Boat: 47 Bill Garden Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
There is no "magic" to wear off! It may suit for a short or a long time. Nancie and I are starting our fortieth year of living aboard and currently in the Pamlico Sound on our way up to Baltimore. Presently, my refrig/freezer is "acting up" and I'll either fix it or buy a new one. Isn't that what the people in houses do? I've never owned a house and 'haven't mowed a lawn since the spring of 1965. Is there something I'm missing?......maybe!
In our minds? Nope...you're not missing one single thing 'cept a pair of green stained sneakers.
RapidTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33   #11

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Fred View Post
... Now those destinations are mostly wall to wall condos, resorts, same intersections on every highway with rules, regulations, fees, taxes, pollution, crowds, same-o same-o most everywhere. Too bad!
This may be true of the near places. Mooring balls abound. Anchorage rules. Fees, fees, and dinghy thieves with bolt cutters lurk in the night. Dye packs in heads. Beer @ $50 a case. Towboat U.S. I've read on here of "credit card captains" having ruined this or that.

My experience is that the waterfront communities have never wanted our boats spoiling their view, peeing off the backstay, flushing overboard, and dumping our trash, and they've finally figured out a way to have some control, and make some money on these newer generations of "cruisers" with lots of disposable income. Of course, those days may be over. The news this morning was of a possible second great depression here in the US. It would surely be felt round the world.

Still, as I prepare my small, paid for vessel for the next excursion, I have realized I'll need to go a little further, out of the safe zone of cell phone towers, towboats, and the calvary to ride to my rescue; maybe learn a new language; become ever more reliant on myself to fix things, cook new things, obtain clean water. I'm not tossing out my paper charts.

So I'm still optimistic about the future of my own cruising. I'll be heading south from here.

3rd world cruiser
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:39   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

This is why its crazy when we read some posts from new people who have never been on a boat wanting to sell up and go long term cruising.

It may well turn out to be boring or damn frightening for them.

Constantly meeting new people can be a chore too. A depth of friendship can be hard to comeby as a week later we, or they, up-pick and carry on. (remember meeting new people can be scary for some)

I feel a goal is important. I am sitting out the hurricane season so its basically sitting here doing nothing for 6 months (I am meant to be saving money too!). I wonder by the end of the 6 months my posts here will go more and more crazy?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:58   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I wonder by the end of the 6 months my posts here will go more and more crazy?

Hardly seem possible.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I wonder by the end of the 6 months my posts here will go more and more crazy?

I'm not certain how we'd be able to make such a determination.
Old 20-06-2011, 19:21   #15

Hey Blondie Dog, I know you! (It's Nicole on Starfish aka your boat's former owner :-)). Hope you are doing well! Shoot me an email if you are moving north at all, we'd love to catch up with you!
starfishy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard