Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 04:34   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Living aboard and health

Much healthier. More physically active, more flexible, generally eat a bit less.

One thing to be careful of is sun exposure. Yes, you get more vitamin D and that's good, but don't gratuitously roast your skin if you can avoid it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:42   #17

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I certainly sleep better without any distractions once I get to the boat. Foodwise definitely less healthy due to current lack of reefer and blender and just inaccessibility of things like fresh greens when the supermarket is an hour long row and a long hoof away. I've had to be pretty inventive to keep up an exercise routine. However, I was probably in at least the top 10% of Americans health wise before starting this adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:49   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Infections you get when you go shopping, to the office, not when being onboard. And you will go shopping sooner or later. I think we are getting fewer infections, but they seem more severe (age a factor, I think).

I think moving full time onboard made us way less healthy: there is a serious drop in physical activity on a boat (well, on an average one, I am not talking a 100' maxi). Less exercise = worse health.

Your diet may get mundane, except if docked in a civilised place with good supermarkets. Worse diet = worse health. Probably a minor factor though. And you will likely eat slower, which will be a plus for your digestive system, I think.

Then again, in our case, it coincided with quitting our land jobs. This would kill most; modern people are not designed for idling. Alas, in our case, I think our nervous systems benefited from the move. But I have seen most cruisiers affected in the negative way: worried about the budget, afraid of high winds, distressed about apparent loss of relevant comparative social background, etc. More anxiety = less health.

So to say, a mixed batch: likely worse physical health but possibly better mental health (yaho, ipieholamo, biririrtomotom ;-), in our case.

One side comment is that when you live aboard and are docked in a fine place, you can actually exercise more - many towns have outstanding sports facilities and many smaller locations have outstanding outback sports opportunities. Few chose this option BUT it is an option anyways.

Move da bum, forget about land fiendships and the check (not)coming and you may be fine.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, living aboard