Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 10:50   #46

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
pwratch: Nice post. The wife and I are headed towards the live aboard life. We have done away with the home and most of the unneeded possessions, and only have a bit more in storage. You are most correct when you say that people have gone unto debt go obtain those things that they could have done without. The wife and I remained relatively debt free through this depression, so we were less scathed by it all and were able to get a really great deal when upgrading our boat. We live aboard on the weekends now, but will be looking for a live aboard slip soon.
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:21   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biltong View Post
You are quite right. During my 12 years as a live-aboard, comments would indicate envy during perfect weather and pity during the storms. They could never understand that I just prefered to live on a yacht, period!
Envy is a major motivation for landlubbers hate for liveaboards. Envy is an unintended compliment. Envy of others is an admission that they have done a better job of running their lives than you have . People who are content with their own lives don't envy, and when they see someone with a good thing going , say " Good on ya. More power to you."
Take envy as a compliment.

The contempt of ******** is the sincerest form of flattery
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:47   #48

Boat: Marples 40 Constant Camber
In my limited experience, envy is not an issue in the eyes of landbound Newport Beachers when looking at the liveaboard community. It's more of a bemused pity, however misplaced. These are, for the most part, people who are pretty well off and generally able to acquire and do whatever they fancy. A simpler life as a desirable state never occurs to them. They just steer by different stars and, like us, wonder at the strangeness and variety as they go along. There are symbiotic relationships. We often house and pet-sit for our land-cursed friends as they go on cruises and the like. We get to live in a truly plush environment for a stretch and they get first-rate care for the most anti-social dog I've ever met. We are almost always glad to move ashore and equally happy to be back aboard at the end of it.
pwratch is offline   Reply With Quote