Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2013, 13:55   #1

Liveaboards in Melbourne, Australia?

Hello all,
Hello to all, just joined, and looking for a little advice. In the coming months, I'm moving from the UK to Australia, Melbourne to be precise. I have wanted to live on a boat since I was a teenager, and I see this as my opportunity to give it a try. I have found nice sailing yachts, about 36ft long within my budget, and that allows extra budget for servicing, and refit if required.

My problems start when trying to find a marina which permits liveaboards. So far, I can find any which allow permanent living on board. So, my question is simple, where can I put my boat in Melbourne, and live aboard full time?

I would love to be around the St. Kilda area, but I'd consider anywhere at all in Melbourne.

Thanks!

Garry
thegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 14:02   #2

Hi Garry,

The Anchorage Marina in Williamstown allows liveaboards unofficially and costs around $190 per week. Lovely spot, good facilities, free power and wifi.
Matt
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 14:06   #3

Re: Liveaboards in Melbourne, Australia?

Hi Matt,
This looks like a beautiful location, and the price is in budget. When you say "unofficially", does that mean I can be chucked out at any time? Also, I'd love to be part of a community, are there other liveaboards there? Or is that something we need to keep hush-hush...?

Thanks

Garry
Old 28-01-2013, 14:26   #4

Draft can be an issue at the Anchorage Marina, check it before you buy.
I doubt there is any marina in Melbourne where you can officially live aboard, so your tenure is not secure.

We stayed at the Anchorage for a few weeks on the way to Tassie last year, good spot, great people.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 23:49   #5

Hi Garry,
I believe there are about a dozen liveaboards. I think the issue is that the Govt doesn't want liveaboards and puts onerous regulations on marinas that want to cater to liveaboards.

So the marina says officially "no liveaboards" to avoid having to comply with onerous regulations, but as far as management are concerned liveaboards are welcome.

But I doubt they'd want to say it out loud, you might have to play the don't-ask-don't-tell tango to help management to not have to spell it out.

I suggest you take your boat there, and say something like "I'll be staying on the boat for a month or so while we get settled in to life in Melbourne".

And then just stay.

That way we can all pretend that liveaboards aren't allowed, while actually they're happy to have them.

It's the Cider House Rules (John Irving).

In fact, I plan to do exactly the above myself, at that very marina, around this time next year (when the teenager goes off to University).

Good luck, look me up when you get here.
Matt
Old 29-01-2013, 01:30   #6

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the info and the clear explanation. I was becoming concerned that I would not be able to find anywhere to put the boat! The location looks perfect for me, as I have family living nearish, so I'll look you up if/when I get there.

Thanks a lot

Garry
Old 29-01-2013, 02:02   #7
Marine Service Provider

Have a good search on here through the threads as there was an EXTREMELY well researched thread a while back that included information on all of the Melbourne Marina's and anchorages.

You can cross off St. Kilda before you even start I'm afraid, it's been full for a long time and has a long waiting list.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 02:12   #8

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I thought St Kilda was building a new Marina, With a lot of new pens and Mooring balls,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 02:27   #9

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I am pretty sure it's not allowed in our over governed nanny state.

There are people doing it around the different marinas but no pne dear talks about it.
"Dont mention the war"
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 02:34   #10
Marine Service Provider

They are indeed building a new one but it might be a while so depends on the timeframe. Doubt it would allow liveaboards though. Fair enough if you try bit inevitably someone will get jealous and dob on you.
Old 29-01-2013, 02:35   #11

According to the sign facing St Kilda marina (I walk the dog there) the plans are to extend the breakwater, demolish all the pens and jetties, build a floating dock about twice the size of the current one, with mooring balls between the pontoons and the new breakwater.

Can't remember where I read it, but I think the deal was that you could 'buy' a 40 year lease on a mooring for $40k, then sublet it. I could be wrong (I could be mixing my facts up between St Kilda and the future Werribee marinas).

Either way, my money's on it being very pricey. It's the best boat real estate in the state.

The problem with the whole Port Phillip Bay area is that just about every boat storage option belongs to a yacht club, which means joining and going onto the 10 year plus waiting list.
And buying some navy blue polo shirts and proper, civilized deck shoes.
And a Mercedes.

There are only a couple of marinas that are regular businesses, the Anchorage in Williamstown is one of them.
They don't care which private school you went to.

There's another thread on CF about Melbourne with lots of pictures from one of the Docklands marinas. They are all brand new and I believe they don't allow liveaboards.

And even though they are right next to Melbourne's CBD, they are still somehow soulless. The whole Docklands precinct looked great on paper, but developed into a windswept wilderness right next to the heart of the city.

All of Melbourne's 'funky' and 'chic' areas are actually in a kind of ring around the city, about 5 kms around the CBD, including St Kilda, Fitzroy, South Yarra, Richmond, Williamstown, etc...

It's those areas that won Melbourne the "most liveable" gong, circa 2004. We're about 7th lately.

But we're climbing well up the "most expensive cities" list pretty fast, I think we're currently number 5 with a bullet...

So yes, great restaurants, theatre, music, festivals, and street life, just be sure and arrive cashed up.

Yay us!
Old 31-01-2013, 02:41   #12
Marine Service Provider

There was an article about St. Kilda in the paper today. $1.2m won't go far these days!

St Kilda jetty overhaul to pave way for new marina

Tags
Australia