Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 13:01   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Liveaboards ?

A couple days ago I was at the boat (on the hard) and there was a 30 somethingist gal looking at an old (73) 27' Catalina. As I was leaving I struck up a conversation with her.
She was a truck driver and she wanted a boat to live on while she was not on the road.
I asked her if she know how to sail, knowing she didn't, being polite. She said no of course.
So, I asked her why she wanted to live on a boat instead of a travel trailer, which would be more comfortable. Her only answer was trailer trash.
I tried to explain to her that boats require maintenance and other expenses but it didn't seem to affect her want.
I showed her a few things she needs to know then walked away.

What is it about people that they think living on a boat is going to be cheap, even after one gives them some numbers?
There was probably no shower, a small galley and a couple berths. But I guess sleeping in the back of a tractor truck isn't much different.
I see newbies on here all the time talking about buying a small boat and living aboard. As a youth I spent a lot of time in the woods for weeks but to cram myself into a box the size of a car, I don't get it.
Trailer trash? What would a marina look like if there were a bunch of small boats that were all live-aboards.
Now to be sailing Port to Port on a seaworthy small boat is a different story. One keeps essential supplies aboard and once in awhile gets off to see the sights. But to park a boat just to live on, I'd rather live out of a tent in the woods.

End of rant!
Old 01-11-2010, 14:30   #2

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
when are you seeing her again? didja get th' digit?
Old 01-11-2010, 14:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I realize it's no bargain, but the difference between living in a trailer and living in a boat?! No contest!

But then again, I am a sailor. Besides, she drives a truck all day and probably doesn't want to live in something that has wheels if she doesn't have to.
Old 01-11-2010, 14:47   #4

romance

Boats are way more romantic than trailers ... though much more expensive and less practicle.

Cars are way more fun for transporation than bicycles though often just about as useful and a bazillion times more expensive.

Computers are much fancier than typewriters and calculators ... even if that's all most of them need them for...

Ipods and Cd players (do you really listen to all 8000 of your songs every day?)

See people are impractical... that's the best part about humanity if you ask me...
munkey906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 14:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
when are you seeing her again? didja get th' digit?
Weelllll, at first I didn't know he was a she until I got too close!
Old 01-11-2010, 15:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
There has been a rumour out there for a while that living aboard is a way to beat high rents. If you can find the right situation it may be true but it does pose the problem, what happens if a bunch of boats are around where the only reason people own them is for cheap rent? Also, how many of these live aboards can an area sustain before it negatively impacts boating traffic, in the case of boats that are anchored?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:22   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393
Well, that's one take, but I think we were all naive to boating at one point or another. Some people dream differenly. It is a free country here, I say live and let live. Many would say living on a 39' sailboat with a family of four is absolutely crazy, including most Dirt Dwellers. We do it and love it.

I particularily disagree with "Trailer trash? What would a marina look like if there were a bunch of small boats that were all live-aboards." Maybe it would look like an active community instead of a parking lot. Being a liveaboard does not mean being a derelict, either. These are two totally different things.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Well, that's one take, but I think we were all naive to boating at one point or another. Some people dream differenly. It is a free country here, I say live and let live. Many would say living on a 39' sailboat with a family of four is absolutely crazy, including most Dirt Dwellers. We do it and love it.

I particularily disagree with "Trailer trash? What would a marina look like if there were a bunch of small boats that were all live-aboards." Maybe it would look like an active community instead of a parking lot. Being a liveaboard does not mean being a derelict, either. These are two totally different things.
Nothing against it. It's just the people that know nothing about boats and create problems for the ones who are knowledgable. You should have a look at Gig Harbor.
I lived aboard in Mission Bay (San Diego) back in the early 80's but under discreet conditions.
Old 01-11-2010, 16:28   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Sailing, cruising, living onboard is for everybody. To me all styles are fine and equal. And if I do not like something, I move elsewhere.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:33   #10

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Weelllll, at first I didn't know he was a she until I got too close!
Ugly Grrlz need love too...

I bet she looks better than the barnacles on my bloody keel..
Old 01-11-2010, 18:31   #11

Boat: just my arms and legs
Send a message via ICQ to AtomicPhil Send a message via AIM to AtomicPhil Send a message via MSN to AtomicPhil Send a message via Yahoo to AtomicPhil Send a message via Skype™ to AtomicPhil
Asian inboard living

Having alot of people living in boats instead of an apartment would look like this.

http://www.lucs.lu.se/Jan.moren/Log/full_12Fishingboatrow.jpg

AtomicPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 19:09   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Delmarrey, think your snobbery is showing through. I bought my first live aboard 26' boat without much sailing experience, especially ocean sailing experience. The only way I could afford a boat was to live on it. Bought, sailed, lived aboard and sold three boats eventually sailing the East Coast and SoPac. Never had any money but always had enough money for the boat. Never had a boat with a shower. Why does the boat need a shower when you've rain??

I'm probably going to have my boat in Gig Harbor in a years, what's the problem with live aboards there??? From what I could see walking the docks, didn't see much trash, in fact just the opposite. Most of the boats were gold plate power vessels that looked to be under used but not under loved.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 19:13   #13

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
I actually can see her point. Trailer parks tend to attract crime and leaving your trailer for a week at a time may mean you come home to all of your stuff missing.

Many Marinas have a more "upscale" group of people that frequnt them and the people that live aboard are some of the friendlist you will ever meet.

Sure, there might not be a shower in her boat, but most truckers use truck stops for their showers anyway and a lot of marinas have restrooms and showers for their customers.

Most trruckers have their maintenance done by shops, show she probably isn't put off on having someone do the maintenance for them. She will probably have the marina do her up keep for her.

I'd welcome her with open arms, she won't be there much and who knows, she might even learn how to sail.

Just my opinion.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 19:22   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
of course there is no shower in a catalina 27. that is what the showers in the marina are for. same with the head. what is wrong with folks living on board in small boats?? unless, of course, you, yourself didnt do that and you are jealous??? lets get real here-- you now have a built in apprentice and if needed you may just have an in for trucking your boat if you so desired. lol... have fun
neighbors are more fun that television!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 19:30   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Marina slip fees + live aboard fees + metered power + all the other taxes and fees is still significantly less expensive than paying for a space + utilities in a trailer park....besides land just doesn't move right

If I were to live aboard and not sail I would get a power boat (with a bad engine could be a bout free)...ideally some sort of old fishing boat or other commercial boat or something that is just designed to float and not go anywhere.