Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 17:09   #1

Liveaboard primer, financing a boat, boat year and make advice etc...

Hello everyone,

I have learned alot from this forum, thank you! In 3 years, I hope to buy or finance a boat and live on it. My financial target is to save 50 k to either pay cash or put a reasonable down payment on a 28-32 ft boat, hopefully a cat. If I finance, I hope to keep monthly payments below 1200 a month, and I am open to a long term loan. The boat will be used mostly for coastal cruising, with some possible runs from the FL Keys (where I will be living and working) to the Caribbean.

I am in my early 30s and will live by myself. I aim to follow the Keep it (very) Simple Stupid policy for designing and fitting the boat. Hopefully I will only have a few gadgets that I cant fix myself, and gadget systems that dont draw enough power that cant be compensated by a solar panel array and minimal engine charging.

I am an experienced sailor, my dad lives on his boat as well. He bought his a while ago. I am at the early stages of this process, and any advice about financing, boat years and makes that you would recommend, as well as any red flags to keep an eye out for would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Ross
BTT_BOUCEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 17:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Liveaboard primer, financing a boat, boat year and make advice etc...

I would look at a older "starter" boat that you can pay $5-$7K cash for and use that for a live aboard while you fix it up and save money till you can afford a 20-$40k boat.

Not sure many would lend money for a liveaboard boat. Most will want you to have a fixed land address, so they can find you. Oh so easy to skip town on a boat.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Ross, welcome to the community. I would strongly agree with Sailorchic's idea. Puting yourself in a cash paid "starter" boat will also put you within the environment where you will more likely encounter a "finishing" boat that can become available without he need to endure the financing costs.

Keep us posted of your adventures.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ross.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, financing, liveaboard