Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 14:20   #1

Liveaboard Pet Parrot?

So I've been living aboard my 29' C&C Since April. I have gotten myself used to the minimalist type living of a Liveaboard. I'm 24 and love the experience so far, But I get lonely since I'm 20 miles from the nearest city. I work an 6-3 schedule sometimes requiring an overnight.
I don't like cats, and my Red Cherry Shrimp and aquatic plant aquarium/bowl is not as exciting to play with. I'm considering a parrot, after all what better companion for the pirate born 200 years too late.
Specifically a Parrotlet, or cockatiel. Anyone with experience of keeping a bird as a liveaboard?
Oh also I majored in biology and psychology so the whole taking care of animals is kind of second nature lol.
Coastlife247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 14:28   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Liveaboard Pet Parrot?

Can't speak to the living aboard with a parrot, have lived with one, they are noisy, messy, nasty creatures that are better roasted. Not for me. Get a Betta fighting fish or a gecko lizard. I don't know maybe a rat.
Old 08-01-2014, 14:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Can't speak to the living aboard with a parrot, have lived with one, they are noisy, messy, nasty creatures that are better roasted. Not for me. Get a Betta fighting fish or a gecko lizard. I don't know maybe a rat.
Well neither reptiles nor a betta fish would be social enough. What kind of parrot are you speaking of? Some species are less vocal than others lol.
Old 08-01-2014, 14:47   #4

Boat: Catalina 380

Parrots are social critters. Many birds will go stir-crazy without people or another animal around. I had a cockatoo for over a year. As captain58 said, they are noisy & messy. How about a cat?
Summitfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:07   #5

Boat: ?

i hear those woman creatures sometimes help with loneliness/companionship thing,,,
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:11   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

My previous neighbor has had a parrot for years, and they greatly enjoy each others' companionship.

Old 08-01-2014, 15:15   #7

Boat: csy 37

my friend dave is single, in his 40's, and has had a pet parrot - and i'm talking about the BIG parrot (don't know what they're called) - living with him at home for several years.

he took his little irwin 24 from daytona beach to key west and back - gone about two months - with his pet parrot as crew. the bird did fine. but as captain58 said, they're messy and noisy.

the other thing to consider is that parrots live a hell of a long time. and they're expensive to buy.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My previous neighbor has had a parrot for years, and they greatly enjoy each others' companionship.

That is awesome the kind of story I was looking for. I also didn't mention I have taken classes in animal behavior so I could hypothetically teach him tricks using clicker training.
Old 08-01-2014, 15:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have an African Grey. They tend to bond with one person. Ours has bonded with my Wife. It loves me, baked, roasted or fried.

NOTHING will piss you off like seeing a critter eat a piece of you.

It's like getting married, to the wrong woman. I know, I've done that too.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:52   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Have lived aboard and ashore with parrots. Not ideal on a boat...and parrots can't swim...so if they go overboard and you dont retrieve them very quickly they are a goner.

Also, if you plan to cruise, crossing international borders can be quite a production w a parrot (Google CITES).

Cats are better on boats.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:53   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We have an African Grey. They tend to bond with one person. Ours has bonded with my Wife. It loves me, baked, roasted or fried.
Parrots are gender aware. Your wife's bird is likely a male.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:55   #12

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I've got two formerly homeless parrots that live with me, and I would never take them on board. Even with their feathers clipped so that they can't fly upwards (for their safety, you have to let them be capable of flying or gliding downwards), they can propel far enough to get overboard with little effort. One load noise and they would be in the water. If you think it's hard to keep track of a human who has fallen overboard, that's trivial compared to what a parrot would be. I see it as just far too risky. Get a dog, they make great companions on board. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 16:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

NOTHING will piss you off like seeing a critter eat a piece of you.

It's like getting married, to the wrong woman. I know, I've done that too.
Another heartwarming story.

I'm thinking of getting a parrotlet because they only live 10-20 years. I wouldn't mind a female companion but my job has me docked in the shrimping Capitol of south Louisiana but not the hot 20yr old Capitol of Louisiana.
Old 08-01-2014, 16:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
I've got two formerly homeless parrots that live with me, and I would never take them on board. Even with their feathers clipped so that they can't fly upwards (for their safety, you have to let them be capable of flying or gliding downwards), they can propel far enough to get overboard with little effort. One load noise and they would be in the water. If you think it's hard to keep track of a human who has fallen overboard, that's trivial compared to what a parrot would be. I see it as just far too risky. Get a dog, they make great companions on board. Pete
29' foot isn't a lot of space for a dog, plus a steep companion way entry. And I'm not getting a chihuahua. And I don't like cats.
I've also seen parrot leashes which I think is hilarious but probly best for cruising.
Old 08-01-2014, 16:25   #15

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastlife247 View Post
29' foot isn't a lot of space for a dog, plus a steep companion way entry. And I'm not getting a chihuahua. And I don't like cats.
I've also seen parrot leashes which I think is hilarious but probly best for cruising.
I know a lot about parrots. I think you will find getting one of them to wear a leash full time to be a lot harder than getting a small dog through the companionway. Parrots are difficult. Trust me. This is not what you want on your boat. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, rot