Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-01-2014, 13:36   #46

Re: Liveaboard Pet Parrot?

Hey looks like you have your mind set, just give it a go and if it doesnt work by the summer just set it free! Also maybe try eharmony, just dont pose with the bird! LOL

Old 09-01-2014, 15:44   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

If you do get a parrot, DO NOT, DO NOT!! Get one at a pet store.

Try like heck to find a shop that specializes in birds. You want one that was hand raised and has imprinted on humans. Our shop lets folks come in and feed the bird while it is still weaning. That will raise the chance of you getting a nice bird.

Otherwise you are taking a greater chance of getting a bird with issues.

It will cost more at first, a good bit more, like treble for a cockatiel or 50% more for a big bird.

If all else fails call the shop listed below and they can help you source a bird. Wonderful folks. REALLY know their stuff. Trustworthy.

TODD MARCUS BIRDS EXOTIC - THEBIRDSTORE.COM - DELRAN, NJ (856) 764-2473

Old 09-01-2014, 16:00   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
Hey looks like you have your mind set, just give it a go and if it doesnt work by the summer just set it free! Also maybe try eharmony, just dont pose with the bird! LOL
Thanks Mike, very helpful...
Old 09-01-2014, 17:06   #49

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Here is a link to a very cute bird living on a boat.
Old 09-01-2014, 17:41   #50

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

If you get a Parrolett make sure you get one that was hand raised and is socialized. We did buy ours a pet store, but it's a small family pet store in Marathon that hand feeds and the birds are all socialized well otherwise I would have purchased from a breeder.

We feed Zupreem pellets with almost everything we are eating thrown in. Today we entertained guests on the boat and had pineapple, strawberries, grapes, crackers with cream cheese and pepper jelly "Buoy" at all of it with us. It's funny how social they are, if we are eating she is eating. If you offer her food she won't touch it, but if you take a bite out of it and are eating she wants it. Great little quiet companion, shes good company. The pellet food is really easy to store and doesn't end up everywhere, just turns to powder in the dish.
Old 09-01-2014, 17:52   #51

Our little girl

Old 09-01-2014, 18:20   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
If you get a Parrolett make sure you get one that was hand raised and is socialized. We did buy ours a pet store, but it's a small family pet store in Marathon that hand feeds and the birds are all socialized well otherwise I would have purchased from a breeder.

We feed Zupreem pellets with almost everything we are eating thrown in. Today we entertained guests on the boat and had pineapple, strawberries, grapes, crackers with cream cheese and pepper jelly "Buoy" at all of it with us. It's funny how social they are, if we are eating she is eating. If you offer her food she won't touch it, but if you take a bite out of it and are eating she wants it. Great little quiet companion, shes good company. The pellet food is really easy to store and doesn't end up everywhere, just turns to powder in the dish.
Awe she's a beauty. Do you get her wings clipped? How big of a cage, and how often is she out and about in the cabin?
Old 09-01-2014, 18:27   #53

Wings are clipped absolutely, it's not hard once you have someone show you how to do it. Make sure you have someone qualified show you how! Her cage isn't very large, but she also spends several hours per day outside the cage. If we are here, she is out and with 4 of us she stays pretty occupied. Parroletts are parrots and they need interaction, if you aren't going to be there a lot it might not be a good fit. Ours is member of the family and if we are eating, she's eating, if we are watching a movie, she is right there snuggled up in our palm or if I've got a tshirt with a pocket shes inside hanging out.
Old 09-01-2014, 18:33   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
Wings are clipped absolutely, it's not hard once you have someone show you how to do it. Make sure you have someone qualified show you how! Her cage isn't very large, but she also spends several hours per day outside the cage. If we are here, she is out and with 4 of us she stays pretty occupied. Parroletts are parrots and they need interaction, if you aren't going to be there a lot it might not be a good fit. Ours is member of the family and if we are eating, she's eating, if we are watching a movie, she is right there snuggled up in our palm or if I've got a tshirt with a pocket shes inside hanging out.
I'm gone for work 8hrs/day during the week. But I would mind putting beach towels down and letting it roam/ cuddle (while I'm home after work). I also plan to work with the animal to learn "tricks". I majored in psychology and have some experience with operant conditioning and applied behavior analysis.
Old 09-01-2014, 23:41   #55

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastlife247 View Post
I'm gone for work 8hrs/day during the week. But I would mind putting beach towels down and letting it roam/ cuddle (while I'm home after work). I also plan to work with the animal to learn "tricks". I majored in psychology and have some experience with operant conditioning and applied behavior analysis.
If you are into bird brains then try.
Old 10-01-2014, 00:31   #56

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I spend a couple hours a week with native Californian birds. Some types are very social and enjoy interaction with humans (like ravens); others want to just do their "thing" (like woodpeckers). Some birds become imprinted with humans, and prefer our company (like this quail).

Old 10-01-2014, 04:27   #57
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Don't play with your food, quails are for eating We have a huge Raven that circles around our house and talks to us, we call him "Big Boy" and my friend across the ridge interacts with the same raven, he calls him "Grandfather" He has a wide range of vocalizations and he interacts with both families.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:21   #58

You'll be fine, especially if you can supply basic psychology. Parrots and their kind tend to be very intelligent and will understand. Positive reinforcement works best, but they do understand negative. I potty trained an african grey by putting him in his cage immediately after pooping outside of it (he wanted to be out). I read up on your parrotlet and he seems like a fine choice. Buy young. I second what others have said about conures, they never stop screaming!

Sent from my HTCONE using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-01-2014, 06:30   #59

Boat: 1996 Mac 26X

I have an orange-wing amazon parrot like the one that was pictured earlier. I've never taken it on the boat but I don't think it would have a problem. I think mine has gotten used to not having constant attention. It's perfectly happy just being in the same room as me. On a boat I would never be far away.
It's messy in the sense that it will crap wherever it is sitting. Puppy pads or other easily cleaned mats under the perching areas take care of that. It eats what I eat so a container of seed/pellets will last 6 mos. No vet bills if you trim nails yourself.

Mine doesn't talk but will sure get noisy if you are eating something it wants. it's not clipped so it can follow me wherever. Even outside sometimes.

Like someone mentioned before the only real concern is temperature. If that's taken care of there's no real reason not to have a bird if that's what you want. Just know every bird is different with a different personality so no matter what anyone says their bird does, the one you get will probably be a little different.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:33   #60

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

OMG...just don't understand ..... in a pinch have the bird for dinner.

Tags
liveaboard, rot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: