Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 16:27   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Liveaboard Pet Parrot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
i hear those woman creatures sometimes help with loneliness/companionship thing,,,
Most of them talk at least as much as a parrot & make at least as much sense but you don't have the cage cleaning thing to worry about.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 16:34   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We met this stoner in Green Bay at a tall ships gathering. The bird whispered, "left foot - right foot" as they walked. I like my mechanical guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIRATE LOU AND PARROTS.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	73568  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 16:36   #18

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

We have a Pacific Parrolett, we find her to be no hassle at all, not messy and the required supplies to keep her fed and healthy doesn't take up much room. She also kind of looks like a Lovebird and several people mistake her for a parakeet. She is every bit a parrot in a little tiny body, amazing how smart she is.

Edited to add.. Another reason I said yes to the kids getting a Parrolett, they aren't loud. She is incapable of any extreme noises ;-)
Old 08-01-2014, 16:48   #19

Boat: Lagoon 38

We have two basset hounds we take boating and feel a lot safer having them on board. I have thrown away my AR 15, Remington marine shotgun, 45ACP, and depth charges. Boat moves a lot faster which was a side benefit!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 17:09   #20

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don't know about a parrot to keep ya company, but if your in Louisiana and can't find a lady that likes boats ya must be stayin aboard and never walkin around !! LOL
Old 08-01-2014, 17:20   #21

I have an african grey and a sun conure. You don't mention where you live aboard. Birds are very susceptable to cold weather and drafts. If you are living aboard in a cold climate,I would warn against it. Don't get a conure, very noisy. Birds are a very long term commitment. I love my birds, but they require, no demand, constant attention. Good luck whatever you decide.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 20:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Don't know about a parrot to keep ya company, but if your in Louisiana and can't find a lady that likes boats ya must be stayin aboard and never walkin around !! LOL
I'm not in NOLA. I'm in Cajun country, where women use boats to kill things. Or to get rid of dead things...
Coastlife247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 20:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw1961 View Post
I have an african grey and a sun conure. You don't mention where you live aboard. Birds are very susceptable to cold weather and drafts. If you are living aboard in a cold climate,I would warn against it. Don't get a conure, very noisy. Birds are a very long term commitment. I love my birds, but they require, no demand, constant attention. Good luck whatever you decide.
I live in South Louisiana which was 20 degrees last night. An abnormal cold, but I have a heater on my boat which stays running and keeps at about 70 degrees minimal.
Old 08-01-2014, 20:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
We have a Pacific Parrolett, we find her to be no hassle at all, not messy and the required supplies to keep her fed and healthy doesn't take up much room. She also kind of looks like a Lovebird and several people mistake her for a parakeet. She is every bit a parrot in a little tiny body, amazing how smart she is.

Edited to add.. Another reason I said yes to the kids getting a Parrolett, they aren't loud. She is incapable of any extreme noises ;-)
Yes, this is what I've been looking at. A Parrolett. I've heard. Less noise, small mess, can this be true?
It sounds to good to be.
Old 08-01-2014, 20:46   #25

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

You may even try a "bird cage" to keep them under control when necessary.
Old 08-01-2014, 20:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
You may even try a "bird cage" to keep them under control when necessary.
I sense sarcasm. Yes keeping a bird envolves a bird cage. I think the leash Idea is laughable. But... If you keep a hanging cage from the Bimini top. and it falls over, the parrot sinks to the bottom. If you keep a leash the parrot could maybe be pulled back onboard.
Old 08-01-2014, 21:03   #27

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

No sarcasm intended, just pointing out the obvious that no one mentioned yet. I meant for use inside the boat. Kids had budgies years ago and would let out to fly around house every now and then, just had to make sure a window wasn't open. The cage was very useful.
Old 08-01-2014, 23:17   #28

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I have not had a bird of the feathered variety as a pet since the neighbours cat ate my last budgie, but these birds make great companions.
They are small, intelligent birds that can be trained to talk and do tricks. They can develop quite a personality but you must get it young and hand raise it to think you are another bird.
They naturally live in large flocks so love company but don't seem to suffer by being raised as a solitary animal. It makes the bond with you stronger. You can get a second bird as a companion for the first but I suggest after you have established your own bond with the first. Large parrots can get bored and develop a nasty habit of chewing on anything, especially wood.

Yes, they can make a mess with scattered seed but a well designed and positioned cage will minimise this. You can clip their wings to reduce their flying ability. Most of the time they learn they are "grounded" but then suddenly make a break for it and as someone has already pointed out they will not last long enough in the water to be rescued. Clipping their wings not only reduces their flying ability but also their steering and stopping so if they climb up into the rigging then they will have difficulty gliding to a safe landing still on the deck.
Old 09-01-2014, 00:25   #29

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

A member here, noland insight, has two parrots, 2 cats, 2 kids, and the wife on a 32 Morgan. Never heard him complain while here where I live on four winds. Has a nice cage that hangs on the pushpit during the day.

Some of the marina curmudgeons complained about the morning squakings, but it never bothered me or most others.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:11   #30

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Coastlife247, get your self a nice lady, forget about dirty smelly birds( I suppose that depends on the lady ).
After a divorce I lived aboard for 25 years alone( well sometimes) so I know very well how you feel and went through the same soul searching.
Seriously the first consideration is, if you aren't happy with your own company why would you expect anyone else to be happy with you ?.
A nice lady would be very supportive to your cruising life and you would become a loving working team and that my friend is worth it's weight in gold.
Lighten up and get yourself a social life, you don't need to live in a fancy marina or spend a fortune, be nice to people, smile first it usually gets a smile in return.
Parrots are dirty smelly things and nice roasted or bbq'd, you'd be better with a small dog, if you train them well first.
I would recommend a breed called Schipperke, (Belgian barge dog) they are bred to live aboard, friendly and very protective of the master and his family and remarkably good company and they are a magnet for ladies who always stop to admire and pet them.
If you don't think there are ladies out there who would like living on board just look around this website and you'll see some real crackers.
Forget the bird on the wing, go for the real thing.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, rot