Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 18:28   #1

Liveaboard options under 50k

Hi, I just graduated highschool and I have some money saved up. I'm 18 years old and I love to surf, but I currently live pretty far from the beach and I'm hoping to change that soon. I live in Southern California where the cheapest apartments with an ocean view are ~$1,800/m, compared to $300/m for a slip fee. For this reason I've been looking at boats in Oceanside Harbor specifically for the purpose of living aboard.

I don't know the first thing about boats, and there's a good chance I might not ever take it out...sorry, this may seem like a sin to boat lovers! I would live in an A1 storage shed if that's what it took to be close to the beach, but a boat seems like a better option.

I'm a tall guy so I'm looking for something with a lot of head room. Preferably something that doesn't require a lot of work. Open ocean capability is the least important. Also, I will be working from the boat (I trade Forex) so solid internet connection is a must. I assume that it's easy to have a DSL line installed near the dock?

The only boat that I've looked at so far was a 28' Carver Mariner that I really liked but got sold unfortunately. Since I'm not sure how much it will take to get what I'm looking for, I'll just say I'm willing to spend 10-50k (trying to stay closer to 20k if I can) and hopefully get some suggestions from you guys. I've ruled out sailboats for the most part since they generally don't have as much space, but I'm open to all ideas. My options are obviously limited since I need to find a boat that comes with a slip.

What do you think, is a liveaboard a good option for me? Do I have realistic visions? Am I delusional?
Ian_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 19:00   #2

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas
Re: Liveaboard options under 50k

I think you ask sensible questions. I would look at powerboats and not sailboats for your purpose. Not familiar with Calif liveaboard situation but that seems really low for a slip but maybe a powerboat you would like is cheaper/shorter and they would allow liveaboard use with good Marina services. (If you don't take the boat out you can't use the head...)
There would be a lot more considerations-weather, maintanence, laundry, neighbors, security-I could go on and on.
good luck-seems like you have an openmind but may want to consider the fun recreational use to hour floating home too.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 23:00   #3

Yeah absolutely, there's a good chance I'll get hooked on it like everyone else and wish I had something more suitable for the seas so I'll definitely keep that under consideration. From what I understand they do offer good Marina services (private showers, laundry room ect.) and is a very desirable part of the coast as far as weather goes. I will double check the slip fees, I could be off. Thanks mate.
Old 07-07-2012, 23:48   #4

$13.30 per foot, and an extra $3.30 for liveaboards... not sure where I came up with the 300 number :S
Old 09-07-2012, 12:50   #5

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

When I inquired about the wait list for Oceanside several years ago, I was told it was a 9-year wait. I don't know what it is nowadays.
There is also the "sneak-a-board" option, if you're willing to go that route, but your car in the parking lot is going to give you away eventually.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:27   #6

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

He might buy a boat in a slip already. I'll agree finding a slip around San Diego is pretty difficult.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:45   #7

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
He might buy a boat in a slip already. I'll agree finding a slip around San Diego is pretty difficult.
That's true! And may be the best way to get into O'side, if you're not too picky about what you're living on.

I highly recommend: about « The Outlaw Guide to Living Aboard
The disclaimer page is well worth the price of admission.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
When I inquired about the wait list for Oceanside several years ago, I was told it was a 9-year wait. I don't know what it is nowadays.
There is also the "sneak-a-board" option, if you're willing to go that route, but your car in the parking lot is going to give you away eventually.
Yeah the wait can be long, but they allow 3 nights a week for non-liveaboards and from what I hear they aren't too strict about enforcing that rule if you keep to yourself and don't give your neighboors reason to complain. I might have to stay somewhere else a few nights per week so that I don't push it..

I'll definitely have to make compromises since there are only so many boats for sale that come with a slip.

Sweet link snort, checking it out now
Old 09-07-2012, 14:20   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_B View Post
Hi, I just graduated highschool and I have some money saved up. I'm 18 years old and I love to surf, but I currently live pretty far from the beach and I'm hoping to change that soon. I live in Southern California where the cheapest apartments with an ocean view are ~$1,800/m, compared to $300/m for a slip fee. For this reason I've been looking at boats in Oceanside Harbor specifically for the purpose of living aboard.

I don't know the first thing about boats, and there's a good chance I might not ever take it out...sorry, this may seem like a sin to boat lovers! I would live in an A1 storage shed if that's what it took to be close to the beach, but a boat seems like a better option.

I'm a tall guy so I'm looking for something with a lot of head room. Preferably something that doesn't require a lot of work. Open ocean capability is the least important. Also, I will be working from the boat (I trade Forex) so solid internet connection is a must. I assume that it's easy to have a DSL line installed near the dock?

The only boat that I've looked at so far was a 28' Carver Mariner that I really liked but got sold unfortunately. Since I'm not sure how much it will take to get what I'm looking for, I'll just say I'm willing to spend 10-50k (trying to stay closer to 20k if I can) and hopefully get some suggestions from you guys. I've ruled out sailboats for the most part since they generally don't have as much space, but I'm open to all ideas. My options are obviously limited since I need to find a boat that comes with a slip.

What do you think, is a liveaboard a good option for me? Do I have realistic visions? Am I delusional?
Define tall.
Power, sail or don't care?
A lot of marinas have a waiting list for slips. Also a waiting list for liveaboards. I some jurisdictions the only way to get a spot in the marina is to buy a boat that is already there. I would talk to the marina right now about these issues. No reason to do all the research on boats and find after you buy it that you can't get in there.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:27   #10

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Prout. Roomy, well equipped, big enough to carry boards, several boards, and room to entertain and sleep over.
Have a look at local brokers for an idea of space.
Older boats depreciate slower, if at all, and Prouts don't fall apart.
Get a survey, and a test run under power. Sails and rigging are a buy and DIY fit, they are the easy bits.
All you need then is soap and elbow grease and a girlfeiend/mum that can sew coveers for the cushions.
Old 09-07-2012, 14:32   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_B View Post
I live in Southern California where the cheapest apartments with an ocean view are ~$1,800/m, compared to $300/m for a slip fee.
A SoCal slip for $300 per month?

Your research might be a little dated.
Old 09-07-2012, 14:45   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 33
We pay $450 in berkley for live aboard with utilities, we are moving down to Ventura for the winter. $609 a month plus utilities. We are paying for a 30' slip in both marinas. We were wanting San Diego but wait lists where in the years and the cheapest I could find for our 28' sailboat was in the $750+. The moorings where going to cost around $400.
Old 09-07-2012, 15:00   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31 / Defever 40

Consider a few things. First the marina might have a requirement as to how long your boat needs to be. Second there is a chance that if you buy a boat thinking you get to stay in the slip you might be wrong if there is a waiting list.
cd30ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Define tall.
Power, sail or don't care?
A lot of marinas have a waiting list for slips. Also a waiting list for liveaboards. I some jurisdictions the only way to get a spot in the marina is to buy a boat that is already there. I would talk to the marina right now about these issues. No reason to do all the research on boats and find after you buy it that you can't get in there.
6'3. Whatever has the most space for the least amount of money, which seems to be power boats but like I said I'm open to anything. I will be buying a boat that comes with a slip so I don't have to worry about the waiting issue, but this means I'll obviously have to make compromises when choosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Prout. Roomy, well equipped, big enough to carry boards, several boards, and room to entertain and sleep over.
Have a look at local brokers for an idea of space.
Older boats depreciate slower, if at all, and Prouts don't fall apart.
Get a survey, and a test run under power. Sails and rigging are a buy and DIY fit, they are the easy bits.
All you need then is soap and elbow grease and a girlfeiend/mum that can sew coveers for the cushions.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find one around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
A SoCal slip for $300 per month?

Your research might be a little dated.
The current rate is $13.30 per foot, so for a 28' boat that's $370 per month. This is not including maintinence and other expenses of course.
Old 09-07-2012, 17:24   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 33
What marina is this you are talking about?

Tags
liveaboard