Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 12:50   #1

Liveaboard on Fixed incom/questions

Greetings all, 2nd post here and after reading/watching many post's/video's i'm pretty much ready to break down my goals with some questions, if anyone would add anything at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Here goes everything...

Renting out 2 Apartments, paid off. Having to Pay Taxes and Maintenance only.
in Hollywood Florida i am getting 900 for a 1/1/half bath x2, Just going to use current price for this.

so 1800x12 = 21600 when I take out Maintenance,taxes
21600 - 6000 = 15600,"I like to round way down on this due to prices go up not down, so lets call it a flat 15000ayr
So a month 1250.

Lets say for the sake of Everything i just laid out these things.

A.Boat is paid in cash 18k-25k,It will be a 28-33FT SailBoat with a diesel, won't go into more detail,unless you have a question/comment."i figure thats a good price for a Great working motor and sound fiberglass hull.

B.Boat would be kept in my backyard under shade for me to work on.

C.Boat will be set up for living off the hook for long periods of time, IE solar,wind,batteries,back up generator. icebox, pressure cooker.

D.I would want to stay in a Marina maybe 5-6 months out of the Year, anyplace warm and near FL, i understand FL isn't a great place for liveaboards,so i'd just head to the Keys or North,South Carolina nice places at great prices around 260-350 a month all included from what i have researched.

So i guess my question would be, Do i sound crazy?
1250amonth. Save 100 a month for paint
1150. insurance, lets say 600ayr= 50$ a month
1100 Fuel i won't be using much at all, besides to get out in the open, then turn it off and float. lets say 1200ayr, to be safe!
900, FOOD lol, i'm a healthy eater, so this is where it comes back to bite me, i'd say 300-400 a month but since i can always go to grandma's and get some free food =) "cooked in pressure cooker" pasta,rice,chicken, 1 pan dishes, pasta with oil..
500 Cleaning stuff, 100$
400 Misc replacement 200$

So all in all i think if i got out of FL, once i saved a nice pile of reserved cash and had a fully working Boat, i would be able to maintain a simple lifestyle, staying around the east coast. I pretty much only play the guitar and write for fun not money, love to fish. listen to music. i'm just a simple minded person, would be doing this solo, i know a pension or extra cash flow would make this much "easier".
Being only 29 i have time to work on that, just going to keep saving up for that boat. when i am ready to shop for one i will for sure post pics here. "1-2yr away"

Thanks for reading, now back to work lol
Old 04-08-2013, 13:23   #2
cruiser

Re: Liveaboard on Fixed incom/questions

You really do need to plan for the unexpected as a landlord. Last year in my commercial office building, while we were away sailing in Spain, two drug addict, anarchist professional squatters moved into one of the large offices in the carriage house with two pitbulls.

It cost me over $14,000 in legal fees, lost rent, utility bills and extortion money to get them out... and took five months... three of which I was required by the Massachusetts housing court to live within 10 feet of the bastards... they also made a total mess of the place.

'Just saying.... you're already cutting it kind of close. It can happen to anyone with space to rent.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 13:23   #3

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Go for it now, just get off the couch and do it.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 13:26   #4
o_q

Renting out apartments would suggest that you're forever not going anywhere, at least no longer than a month.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 13:31   #5

On the hook continuously you can probably get by on $600/month. If you religiously prepare your own meals less. If you plan on staying in a marina 6 months get a firm idea of what it will cost - and 100% certainty a slip where you want your boat will be available. Assess anchoring restrictions before you are rudely awakened by the reality many once available anchorages are history.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 13:56   #6

I've never had a problem with any of my tenants. My condo and I always do very good background checks, its been great, i did buy new A/C new Water Heater, i supply new filters on a 3-4 months bases, "i don't expect anyone but me to care about the filters in my home" every time someone leaves i take Pic's, charge a cleaning fee... take new pics redo. I know things will get old and need to be replaced, but my A/C's, and water heater's good for 14 more years under contract.

I really wouldn't want to go anyplace to Far from Home,like you said about 1 month away marina and i'm more then ok with that, Keys and Bahama's in the future would be my limits, i would just prefer to liveaboard pretty much year around, and its not like i have to collect rent in person. I 100% agree with the 100% slip i should of taken that into the picture... i just wanted to get some info out and about.

I've had Crohn's disease since i was 6yr, so I've made my own meals and cooked for myself since a very young age, only food i cheat with is Pizza...
Old 04-08-2013, 14:29   #7

i say go for it! im on a fixed income. i would just ask that you post updates i would be very interested in hows it going for you. what size boat would you get?

everyone needs a dream!
Souperjumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:43   #8

Boat: Beneteau 323
If you can afford to live in land on your fixed income then you can probably afford to live on a boat. If you cannot afford to live on land on your fixed income then there is a better than even chance you may not be able to afford to live on a boat.

We find living on a boat cheaper but we have jettisoned all of our land specific expenses (cars, for example).
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 15:12   #9

Boat: Allmand 31

Just my opinion, you will live like a pauper on $1250 a month staying in marinas in Florida for six months out of the year, and will not be able to afford boat maintenance. On the other hand you could live quite well, if you commit to living on the hook. Something to consider.

I base this on my experience cruising full time in Florida/Bahamas for 5 years.

Good luck,

Mary
S/V Glass Slipper
Voyage of the Glass Slipper - About
maryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 16:04   #10

I would say either buy the boat and go or come on down to Luperon Dominican Republic and live like a king on 1200 dollars. Rent is about 200 and a beer is 50 cent
Simplelife47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 16:09   #11

Boat: Mason 44

Hi Handle1933

I always like the idea of adventure in the sea exploring new island and check out cool spots for diving or a secluded anchorage.

A friend of mine, who came from the US west coast lived on ss income of USD1,000 a month. He has been out on a hook every day and worked a charter skipper for a few years. He left the Seattle 20 years ago.

Had some properties for rentals but had to sell them away because there were too many loose ends to sort out with tenant while he is away in South PAcific and now in thailand.

I like to hear your progress and maybe one more source of income may be helpful. Another friend from upstate NY, lived off income from selling call option on Microsoft. He would put the boat on a hard stand for couple of months, then travel overland in Asia.

Come back and put the boat in the water and continue his journey. He did the Cape of Good Hope route instead of the Red Sea, via St Helena and now he and his wife is back in NY.

Another friend from Rock Island off the west coast came to asia on a 36' double ender. Sold the boat and live on the island. They wrote a book with their sailing adventures.

You are on an exciting beginning. A life full of "adventure" watching the weather every day.

Enjoy your life.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 16:28   #12

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplelife47 View Post
I would say either buy the boat and go or come on down to Luperon Dominican Republic and live like a king on 1200 dollars. Rent is about 200 and a beer is 50 cent
Sounds great, is there a marina there?
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 19:35   #13

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

I don;t know if you have any boat money now, but there is a Cheoy Lee Offshore 33, I think in the keys for sale here on CF. Asking $16k needs work and could be gotten for less. Also, can you work? Lots of casual jobs out there. Good luc
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 19:55   #14

Boat: 30ft S2 Yacht

Hey Handle1933

I bought a very nice, move-in ready, 30' for just at $15000. I would shop a little harder for your boat to get something beyond 'working motor and sound hull'. It can be done!
HollyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 20:20   #15
o_q

OMG THE REAL HALLE BERRY!

can you buy me a boat?
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard