Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2011, 18:52   #1

Liveaboard on $13-19,000cdn

so with a Sailboat of 20-27' can you live on 13-19kcdn plus a
A job here n there. What are the basic costs and what should I know about living aboard? This will be around the Vancouver area.
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 19:19   #2

Boat: looking
Re: Liveaboard on $13-19,000cdn

Not a lot of liveaboard moorage in Vancouver. Shelter Island Marina is one place, but it does require powering out to Sandheads, which is a fair distance. Not easy to live on $1,000/month, but $1,500 should be easy enough. To be honest, I'd suggest the east coast of Vancouver Island as preferable, if you don't HAVE to be in Vancouver. Make sure you buy a boat that is insulated, however, or you'll find winter less than pleasant.(Did it for 3+ years) I can't think of many boats that would be worth living aboard below 27 feet. Watch the local craigslists (Victoria, Nanaimo, Comox, Vancouver, Seattle) for cheap sales. Best of luck!
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 19:25   #3

Boat: CS36 Traditional

I don't liveaboard but I think it is doable but tight for that size of boat and budget.

Things you would need to consider would be your boat slip, hydro, insurance and all the nickle and dime fees that a marina charges (ie. pumpouts). Then you would have living expenses which can be as frugal or extravegant as you desire. Then there are repairs and maintance which is variable depending on the age and condition of the boat and your level of skill and need to fix things. The problem with cheap boats is that they are cheap beause they need a lot of work.

In the Toronto area my guess marina related fees would be about $6-8000 per year or more for that size of boat to live downtown and maybe less out in the boonies. You would need to find out what your local marinas charge, however. Some marines here also require surveys to ensure the boat is seaworthy enough to grace their docks (a $400 fee).
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 19:26   #4

Woops second reply came in fast
Old 28-07-2011, 05:39   #5

What is a boatslip and why do I need one, how would you get one?

also how would you insulate a boat?
Old 28-07-2011, 05:51   #6

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post

A boat slip is a dock. Typically, marinas have what are called finger docks that the boat "slips" into...

I will leave others to answer your insulation question.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 07:25   #7

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post

You really don't want to have to insulate a boat, it is a major nightmare! Better to find one already insulated. If you do try to insulate one, DON'T use styrofoam. You can buy sheets of insulation or use sprayfoam, but you'll have to strip out the interior to do a decent job. Then you'll want a little wood stove. We used a honking big kerosene heater, worked great but took up our companionway when in use.

It's difficult to advise someone about these things when you don't know their circumstances. How much are you budgeting for a boat? The type/condition of boat you buy will effect all aspects of living aboard. Whether your $13k-$19k is pension or savings makes a difference. If it is something that you can collect/access anywhere, perhaps heading south to Mexico might be a consideration? As has been pointed out, aside from mooring & living costs, insurance is required at most marinas, & maintenance of a boat is expensive.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard