Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 18:10   #31

Boat: several from 20 -50'
Liveaboard in DC

For those who don't know... Tantallon Marina is about 15 minutes south of the Woodrow Wilson bridge off Indian Head Highway. It's on a very sheltered creek off the Potomac. They are thinking of running a van to the metro each weekday.
partgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 18:52   #32

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
There are folks that permanently anchor in Annapolis and commute to D.C. There's a great commuter bus system that's comfortable and usually fast.
I can also recommend this bus service. My husband took the bus out on Friday afternoon several times this summer
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:07   #33

Re: Liveaboard Near Washington, DC ?

I know this is an old post, but in case you are still out there... you can anchor just abut anywhere for as long as you like as long as it is not specifically prohibited. Common sense should prevail... don't anchor under a bridge or near any facility that might be under the watchful eye of Homeland Security. I believe DC waters (anything above the Woodrow Wilson Bridge) are prohibited for long term anchorage, although I have had no problems with overnights.
Tantallon Marina is filling up fast and has a few slips left. I know, it has it's pain-in-the-ass factor, but if you treat the owners with respect, you will get a fair shake. AND there is none of the snobby crap you find at some of the "tonier" marinas. So, bring what you got... as long as its insured... and you'll fit right in.
Home Page
Old 11-07-2011, 13:30   #34

Boat: CSY33

It's been 2 or 3 yrs since I last checked out Tantallon. I liked the location and the people I met on the liveaboard dock (pre security fence, when I could walk down and chat w/ppl). Glad to learn the shoreside facilities finally got built. Do think the monthly LA fee is rather steep, puts the costs up into prime Annapolis range. But... the commute is surely shorter.

I think I would be there were it not for the draft of my boat. I like being able to go out any time I have a window of opportunity. But for those with less draft, it is a very nice location.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 19:17   #35

I am considering moving a boat to Gangplank and was a bit surprised about the cost increases and add-ons. A $150 "one time" fee for bring a transient boat in??? Penalties for not paying a year in advance??? This is going to work out to over $14/ft per month!!! So... things must be tough all over.
On the other side... you can get into some places in Solomons for under $7/ft. As I live in Edgewater, these are all about the same drive.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20   #36

$14/ft/month is cheap for Annapolis! <*sigh*> But for that money, you do get instant access to the Bay for sailing; it's a tradeoff.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, Washington DC