Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 13:25   #1

Liveaboard/mooring questions for San Diego area

Hi, to begin with, I am a newbie to all of this, but I've been doing lots of research and talking to lots of folks asking for advice. This forum is great, and I've read all of the applicable liveaboard posts on here already. I'm looking for up-to-date info to some questions I have, and any general thoughts on what my plans are.

I live and work in San Diego currently, and have been living in a walk-in-closet sized backyard cottage with my boyfriend for the last year or so. We are 28 and 33 years old, but value the simple life. Because of this, I know the tight quarters of a boat would likely be an upgrade for us, or at least be do-able.

I grew up sailing on my grandfathers 38' sailboat, but haven't been sailing much since I was a teenager. I've had a dream of living on and owning a sailboat ever since then. I have plans to seriously learn to sail later this summer.

My boyfriend and I are looking for a new living situation, and I am thinking of finally purchasing a boat to live on, which we would share the slip rent for.

I've found decent boats on craigslist for under $10,000, some of which have slips that can be transferred over eventually if the current owners put us on the title as "partners" for 6 months or more. I have read that liveaboard slips in san diego have multi-year waiting lists, so finding a boat with a slip seems like the best option. Or does anyone have thoughts on buying a cheap boat just for the slip? I've heard of folks doing this, but does this still work? And if so, how?

If I were to buy a boat that didn't have a transferable slip, what are the cheapest options for mooring in the san diego/chula vista area. We can live without most amenities, but a shower and a bathroom would be nice.

Also, does anyone know in which harbors you can live-aboard under the radar easily, and what harbors are cracking down on this? Or have a list of harbors that allow liveaboards?

We are quiet good neighbors, and would prefer to go the cheapest route possible with access to very basic amenities. He was a marine, if there are any options available only to military.

Thanks so much for your help with any or all of these questions!
Best,
~Jill~
veggijill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 14:43   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Liveaboard/mooring questions for San Diego area

mooring tenancy as a temporary tenant is around 260 usd per month. wanna buy my ericson35 for firm 12000, you will have access to that..is in coronado. i am not able to negotiate. pm me if interested.

btw--i dont NEED to sell boat at this point--there is no hurry for me to relinquish this asset.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 15:24   #3

Zeehag- Tempting offer... I've been looking at some Cal boats, and some Ericsons. I've researched the Cals more than the Ericsons so far. I would like a boat that is offshore cruising capable (at least after some fixing up). So something better than a catalina type boat. Tell me more about your Ericson! What shape is it in? You think it would be a good liveaboard situation? What are the benefits/drawbacks compared to a boat such as a Cal?
Thanks for your input!
Old 11-06-2013, 15:28   #4

Zeehag- also, what marina is that in Coronado? Glorietta bay?
Old 11-06-2013, 15:30   #5

Boat: Ohlson 35

Wouldn't a boat with mooring reflect in the price?

If it were me I'd maximize my bang for buck and buy without a mooring. Maybe something already on dry land that needs work and then rent a piece of land you can put it on whilst you increase its value and maybe whilst living on it, or next to it.
At least if you get a do it upper on dry land you'll get to know her inside out before getting her afloat. Granted that you are concerned about not having a mooring close by but further down the road your plans might well change and the mooring may become insignificant to actually travelling in it.

As with anything yachting its all a compromise, however getting the biggest bang for your buck should be priority and not being amongst marina life, IMHO.

Good luck.
Reverend Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 19:04   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

moorings do not go with boats in sd..one must be on the list for a permanent ball, and temps are usually easier to obtain, unless you want commercial basin, aka ac harbor., that place sukks.
coronado moorings are not glorietta bay, the moorings are under the bridge. there is no stove at present--but the engine has less than 150 hours on a 2qm20h and the electrical panel is new and solar panels go with it. i spent a lot to put it together, and sh has sat now since i left with a baby sitter watching her. i left in april;2011

cals are good. ericsons are niice...different kind of boats fro different kinds of use....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Here is a Cal 2-29 with a new diesel and other upgrades, with a mooring in San Diego, might be a good deal for someone:

Cal 2 29 Sailboat The Legendary Bill Lapworth Cal Jensen Marine Boats | eBay
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote