Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37   #1

Liveaboard Monterey Bay

I'm looking to live aboard in Monterey Bay in a slip with my wife in June 2013. Is living aboard nice in that area? I've heard mixed reviews. If anyone has lived in Moneterey Bay or currently lives there I would really appreciate hearing your input.

Thanks!
Mireille379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 15:21   #2

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht
Thumbs up Re: Liveaboard Monterey Bay

I've never been aboard in Monterey Bay, so I can't remark about that. I have been to Monterey Bay many times, though, and it is really neat place. Based on that, I think you can't go wrong there. I practically lived aboard for five years in the CA delta, and I absolutely loved that.... My wife and I are going to live aboard when I retire in 4 years, I would STRONGLY encourage you to do it. I do believe, however, that is a personal love, and therefore a personal decision.
As we all know ......... Where land ends, life begins !!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 16:09   #3

Re: Liveaboard Monterey Bay

Lived in Monterey for 25 years. many of them aboard in Monterey Municipal Marina. It's cold and expensive. There are whales, birds, otters, elephant seals....all right there. The best think is that you can easily leave the bay, turn left, and be in Mexico in less than a week of warm downwind sailing.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 19:40   #4

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht

Really can't argue with that kind of experience, but every place on earth has it's disadvantages, we all have to pick as best we can. There are so many neat things going on in Monterey Bay if you like H2O. Check out 'Devil's Teeth' (Farallon Islands). I realize not everyone's going to agree, but for me, being on a boat,( livinging aboard or not), is an opportunity for an adventure every day. That's for me!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 19:43   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

You might also consider Moss Landing at the head of the bay. Cheaper than Monterey but you do have an active fishing community (can be a little odiferous from time to time) there but I know they accept liveaboards. Great restaurants too and not as spendy as the Monterey waterfront eateries. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 20:10   #6

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We were there for 2 weeks last winter. It was really pretty, really cold, really expensive, and really nice but the whole shower situation wasn't that good. All municipal showers are WIND TUNNELS!
All in all, I much prefer Puerto Vallarta.
Old 04-01-2013, 20:14   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

+1 on Moss Landing! Much more laid back the Monterey! We never really noticed the fish boat smell, but then we are sorta used to that smell LOL We always made a stop there any time we went north or south!! Monterey is just a little to fancy for us old folks !! Nice tho
Old 04-01-2013, 20:27   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Monterey is just a little to fancy for us old folks !!
Fancy is not the word for it. It's a tourist trap. The houses in the area are $1M+ on the average. $$$$$
Old 04-01-2013, 21:53   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

No one has mentioned the 15 year waiting list to get in. Even in Moss Landing (the land that time forgot) has a waiting list for liveaboards.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:26   #10

ok im very new to this forum, and only own a laser sailboat, but I have spent a decent amount of time sailing around santa cruz and I am quite impressed. thats where I learned to sail and my instructor lives in the same marina. I asked him a ton of questions about living aboard and he said the same about monterey being expensive and not really worth it.
Moss landing is unimpressive to me. I bought my laser from a guy there and the boats in the little fenced in area are looked very sad and forgotten. Also my instructor said that sailing conditions there arn't great.
again though I'm new to this, but I see santa cruz being the better choice.
the marinas arnt that far away from eachother though so you could take like a three day weekend to sail or drive around and check them all out. they are all in the same bay.
stephengrem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard