Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 05:28   #16

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)
Re: liveaboard marinas in south florida

RKO, you going down the Tom Bigby??
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:38   #17
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyscience View Post
RKO, you going down the Tom Bigby??
yes sir.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:56   #18

Boat: Nordic 44

Check out Port Canaveral And Melbourne FL on the ICW.
The Port Canaveral Yacht Club is an everyman's place with no fancy frills bt nice folks and very reasonable. A sailing group for the most part.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:56   #19

Boat: Ericson sloop 28.5

I suggest St Petersburg Municipal Marina. Live aboard, protected, reasonable, deep. Slips available and the city is wonderful. Have been in this marina for 30 years.
Infatuation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:10   #20

Boat: Leopard 40

There is a great liveaboard marina in Melbourne, FL called Waterline.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 13:44   #21
smo

Try the fort pierce city marina
Two tiki bars on premises.
Huge farmers market next door wednesday and saturday.
Library a hundred yards away.
A great boat suply including used stuff a couple miles away
A marina where you can work on boat on the hard a mile away.
Ocean inlet a 2 mile bike ride away.
6 more tiki bar restaurants within a mike bike ride.
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 19:04   #22

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Stuart Florida is somewhat reasonable... Especially with respect to the work you are looking to take on.. A lot of opportunity for bait-shop/bar back/deckhand sort of stuff.. Good luck with our research!

http://curioussailor.blogspot.com/
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 19:16   #23

Boat: Pearson 365

Manatee pocket in stuart is great. Ft. Pierce is awesome and Ft Meyers is cool too. Lots to choose from. They arent too expensive either. I would want some A/C in the middle of the summer around there for sure. Hard to put a price of comfort but in August with no breeze its horrible.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:49   #24

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
Manatee pocket in stuart is great. Ft. Pierce is awesome and Ft Meyers is cool too. Lots to choose from. They arent too expensive either. I would want some A/C in the middle of the summer around there for sure. Hard to put a price of comfort but in August with no breeze its horrible.
Agreed!
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 12:24   #25

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Is the mooring field at book key a monthly thing or can you go daily...weekly..etc. I called them about a yr or two ago and ask if I could leave for a month like at thanksgiving and come back right after new years and they said no you had to stay on your boat...has that changed.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 15:50   #26

They have weekly and daily rates.

It is a liveaboard marina, you can not "store" your boat here.

Many people pay a month and leave the boat for a week or two. The Marina wants a contact # for someone watching it, if thing go wrong.

You need to show your face every month to pay your fee's.

That's how it's supposed to work. What is actually going on seems a little differant. There are boats that have been empty for the 3 months I'v been here.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 16:09   #27

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I just want to go back for the holidays and then come back and continue my adventure that's all.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 19:49   #28

I would and did leave my boat at Fort Myers Beach moorings for 2 + months, to go north.

They accept payment for multiple months .

Only,problem is that Marathons, Boot Key moorings fill up by mid December. They are still full with a 50 boat wait list, now. Coming down after the holidays could be tough.

Another option is to anchor it in Boot Key and hope for the best.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 10:30   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Marathon city Marina charges $310.00 a month for moorings.
Parking, showers, dinghy dockage and pump out included.

Laundry pricy at $3.00 a load and water $.05 per gallon, honor system.

Often see help wanted signs. Seem like a big turnover in the marina staff.
...what a crappy place to try to make a home, total vulture marina of childish immature people (locals & staff) sociopaths, liars, desperate people without means/pensions jealious of those with means trying to exploit/make miserable those with...way too many people who have been there too long as well hahaha, they literally don't boat they just live aboard boats LOL.

I lived there two seasons aboard my liveaboard with a racing 17ft ocean going race boat for a toy. First season (2014-2015) I got tired of seeing monroe county sheriffs deputies at city marina I lived off season in key west at the N.A.S. To get a break from the lawlessness!!!
And wow did that seem to bother people when I'd spend a night aboard my vessel n boot key harbor LMAO!!! When I started living in key west in May 2015 some ex nasa broke loser who got swindled by berrie maidoff totally made war on me gossiping ugly cuz he is jealious of my retired disabled veteran status with base privs...I guess he feels since he is better than me, it u fair in his sicko mind and hurts his ego that I do better in retirement and that is what he focused on when he saw me, always trying to ridicule and invalidate me to everyone including marina staff/dock master. The dock master is a big part of the problem at city marina of marathon, he is a coward afraid of confrontation especially when it comes to the overstayed local bratty crowd who think they own/run the cit marina.

City marina of marathon is a great place to stop off for cruisers, pass thru, fill water tanks, refill the cupboards but stay away from the two faced corrupt locals and marina staff, they tend to disregard the rules and make them up to self serv and favor those they like/discriminate even target those they wanna bully. Way too many people living on boats who don't boat/haven't boated in years lle ten years plus LOL! Look at most of the single women liveaboards, most bought their vessel in boot key harbor as a floating condo hahaha.

Only nice thing about boot key harbor IMO is it's the best protected harbor in the keys period!

The city marina of marathon mooring field/boot key harbor is essentially a lake with two inlets so when winds kick up fetch is small, you can kayak ashore in the chop prett easily. City Marina Marathon is worst option for long term, especially in summer as seasonal people who flood the mooring field are gone so it gets empty and the locals are so bored they fight like HS children to no end, tryng to pick fights and get eachother kicked out, total drama queens!

Off season you'll need to be at a dock for power/AC as it's prett muggy even at night, look into sombrero resort, marathon marina, slips at dockside marina etc. (not city marina of marathon)

Lots menial jobs yes, remember this term "keys disease" as it's relative here, people get onto "paradise" mode and become drunks, if they have enough to pay bills no need to work, thus they quit jobs after getting a paycheck to move on.

Again, beware of the vultures and lack of honor/integrity at city marina of marahon in boot key harbor. Lots of jealious immature behaviors, broke people bored and picking fights trying to establish power and control LOL, back stabbing and gossiping to boost their lowlife egos.

Great marina/harbor to pass thru but I anchor n sisters creek if wind is blowing, outside sombrero beach swimmng area in the ocean if flat.
then go ashore/avoid city marina using sombrero beach (pull ur dink ashore at kayak launch by pier at the beach) beach showers as well as you can fill water cans.
the taxi anywhere in marathon is $5 carload per trip (carpooling with other couples is frowned but legit) so call the bob narley taxi for the 2 mile trip up sombrero beach rd to town center, get a cab back.
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 10:46   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They have weekly and daily rates.

It is a liveaboard marina, you can not "store" your boat here.

Many people pay a month and leave the boat for a week or two. The Marina wants a contact # for someone watching it, if thing go wrong.

You need to show your face every month to pay your fee's.

That's how it's supposed to work. What is actually going on seems a little differant. There are boats that have been empty for the 3 months I'v been here.
...this is the corruption I speak of LMAO...there's a guy named Denis who has been kicked out, barred from the city marina of marathon for violance, he was being ridiculed and acted out by pushing another into the water off the dock LOL. Even went to trial sayng to the judge he was tryng to help the guy as the guy was having a seizure hahaha??? This Dennis has been living/working on another guys boat on a mooring ball yet he's banned???

Just way too corrupt at city marina of marahon I'd suggest people just use it as a passing thru option, smile, keep busy restocking/repairs and move on...rent a slip somewhere or anchor, go ashore somewhere else if you wanna live in boot key harbor. Living at City marina of marathon is seen as ghetto by greater local boaters in the know...it's the cheapest legit public option in marathon so it's a haven for broke less than good intentioned childish bratty people.

Again, too many people who don't boat but live aboard a floating condo as it's the cheapest housing opperunity in marathon.

To funny watching the seasonal cruisers and broke local losers fight for power/control like bratty HS kids...
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, liveaboard, marinas