Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 09:23   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Liveaboard Marina - South or North Carolina

I am looking for a liveaboard marina ( september to december ruffly) either in North or South Carolina. I am buying a boat and I'd like to stay away as much as possible from the southern hurricane areas, I don't fee very comfortable in staying further south unless the marina is very well protected. In that case I will opt for a longer stay.
Just wondering is any body has any suggestions
cla6665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
If you look at one of the maps that overlay the accumulated paths of hurricanes, you will notice that North & South Carolina have a higher frequency of hurricanes than Northeast Florida. The area of the St. Johns River, just south of Jacksonville, probably has the best record of hurricane protection in the Southeast. You'll notice on a chart how this area between Cape Canaveral and Savannah has a coastline that is largely curved in to the west. This area also has an abundance of liveaboard marinas. I an presently living aboard in the Ortega River at a rate of $509/month on a 41' boat plus metered elec. and many amenities. I know of several well proteced liveaboard marinas in this region. If you are set upon choosing the Carolinas Elizabeth City, Oriental, New Bern, Beaufort, Morehead City, Wrightsville Beach, Willmingon, Southport in NC or Myrtle Beach, Bucksport, Georgetown, Charleston, Beaufort and hilton Head in SC all have locations with potential for living aboard; however most of these have far less hurricane protection than Florida's St Johns River. Of course, your draft and verical clearance can make a big difference too. There is even an excellent choice in Fort Lauderdale for protection if you can clear a 55' fixed bridge and cruise well up the New River to Marina Bay Resort. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 11:10   #3

Boat: Pearson 30
Thank you so much,
bridge clearance is 62 feet and draft 6 feet, do you think I will have issues around where you are?

Thanks
cla6665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 11:21   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38
I will second what CaptForce said. Beaufort, NC, and the whole Cape Hatteras region is hurricane alley. Beaufort, SC, and the Hatteras area get less hurricanes and have somewhat better protection. If you stay over 90 days in North or South Carolina you have the potential of getting hit with a property tax on your boat. It is quite high in South Carolina, and differs from country to county. I believe North Carolina's tax is generally less. Florida wants you to have state registration on your boat, even if you are documented, but that is relatively cheap. They will also ask for sales tax on your boat if you purchased the boat within 6 months of getting to Florida. If you anchor out most of the time you are less likely to be chased by the various tax men. Best to stay north of Cape Hatteras until November to avoid most of the hurricanes. Lots of great hurricane holes and things to do in the Chesapeake, but it starts to get pretty cold in November so it is a good time to start heading south.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 05:03   #5
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Ditto what is said above about hurricanes. Also check with your insurance company to see what they consider to be hurricane country. Could make a different in your coverage.
Old 19-08-2010, 05:50   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla6665 View Post
Thank you so much,
bridge clearance is 62 feet and draft 6 feet, do you think I will have issues around where you are?

Thanks
There are no problems with those dimensions in the Oretga River up to the 45' fixed bridge. There are four marinas before this bridge and three of these accept liveaboards, while two of these three have available empty slips. An important note was made above about the areas that are accepted by insurance companies to remain in their coverage. Unfortunately, these policies are often drawing lines at state borders without considering the different degrees of storm protection within areas of the states. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 17:45   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
The good news about NC, is there plenty of areas far inland, most marinas take liveaboards. New Bern, Oriental, Belhaven, Washington areas are most popular.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 09:25   #8

Boat: 36 Cheoy Lee clipper
62' may be too high can't remeber the exact clearances.. but the best hurricane hole on the east coat are the inland santee lakes Lake Marion and Moultrie.. Marker 79 marina is new and allows livaboads .. about 40 miles inland and a good days motoring up the Cooper river in a sailboat... through the lock 75 ft up... all at no charge... stay in the channel! the upper lake is full of trees but the channel is clear. as an added bonus the freshwater will clean off your boats bottom in short order!

oh and no worries with the property tax on the inland water! thats only the coastal counties!
Occasionaly see interesting boats there like 125' ocean going tug and a 100' riverboat!...
FreeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 04:56   #9

Boat: Caliber 35
Thumbs up Re: Liveaboard Marina - South or North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSC View Post
62' may be too high can't remeber the exact clearances.. but the best hurricane hole on the east coat are the inland santee lakes Lake Marion and Moultrie.. Marker 79 marina is new and allows livaboads .. about 40 miles inland and a good days motoring up the Cooper river in a sailboat... through the lock 75 ft up... all at no charge... stay in the channel! the upper lake is full of trees but the channel is clear. as an added bonus the freshwater will clean off your boats bottom in short order!

oh and no worries with the property tax on the inland water! thats only the coastal counties!
Occasionaly see interesting boats there like 125' ocean going tug and a 100' riverboat!...
Sounds too good to be true...And I will definitely check it out...what is the mosquito ratio per person?
harmony80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 06:13   #10

Boat: 36 Cheoy Lee clipper
Re: Liveaboard Marina - South or North Carolina

The Mosquitos really aren't bad .... in May the Mayflies hatch live for 1 day and die....make a hell of a mess but they are harmless ... you will have to wash your boat down to get rid of them ... I have seen a white boat turn gray they are so thick! I think the current slip rate is around $4 a foot for a month
FreeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 15:23   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Thanks for this! I've never seen the charts up the Cooper, but I've seen the waterway here when driving up I-95. I never connected this to Charleston. Once again, the wonders of local knowledge!
Old 17-10-2011, 10:47   #12

Boat: Gale Force cutter-rigged sloop, 34'

All SC's coastal counties now permit visiting boats to stay for up to 180 days without becoming liable for property taxes.
SC Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 10:50   #13
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
The Mosquitos really aren't bad .... in May the Mayflies hatch live for 1 day and die....make a hell of a mess but they are harmless ... you will have to wash your boat down to get rid of them ... I have seen a white boat turn gray they are so thick! I think the current slip rate is around $4 a foot for a month

Wow -- the going rate around here is $11 - $11.50/foot per YEAR.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 13:01   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

If you are still considering South Carolina, I highly recommend Lady's Island Marina in Beaufort, SC. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 22:50   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum SC Suzi.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, north carolina