Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 23:02   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Liveaboard locations, East Coast of Australia

Hi all,

I am interested in finding a list of practical live-aboard locations along the East Coast of Australia, by which I guess I mean from say Wilson's Prom to Far North Queensland. Boat is a 42 foot sailboat, self contained so does not need power or water etc. Practical means it would be possible to work professionally from the boat in a nearby town, commuting by either bike (ideal) or car.

I guess I also should say affordable (I know that is subjective, but I mean affordable for someone working on a mid level salary), close (<30km) to a regional town of a reasonable size, with either good sheltered year round moorings or reasonably priced marina style facilities. Happy to exclude Sydney (partly because I suspect affordable is not going to apply). However, I would certainly consider Brisbane and surrounds, I suspect there may be more options in that area.

Can anyone point me at the location of such a list, or do you have a list of locations you would consider meet the criteria.

Matt
Old 12-09-2017, 23:11   #2

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran
Re: Liveaboard locations, East Coast of Australia

Any where off Moreton bay Newport or Scarborough Caboolture river. Mooloolaba are all good areas.
Old 12-09-2017, 23:26   #3

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Piles in Brisbane River - right in the centre of the city. Good for a heavy mono as the ferry wakes rock lighter boats.
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 00:16   #4

Boat: Young Sun 43

Don't be too quick to discount Sydney, particularly if you are wanting to work. We stayed in cammeray marina both on their pontoons and on their nearby moorings for a long time whilst working, as did many others. They were very reasonably priced.
Tiki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 00:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki2 View Post
Don't be too quick to discount Sydney, particularly if you are wanting to work. We stayed in cammeray marina both on their pontoons and on their nearby moorings for a long time whilst working, as did many others. They were very reasonably priced.
Err.... that's alarming. I am seeing $324 per week for a berth, and about $100 per week for a swing mooring.

I am currently paying $75 per week for a berth, are the East Coast prices REALLY so high that $324 per week is a good price?

Matt
Old 13-09-2017, 01:14   #6

Boat: Young Sun 43

I suspect we must have been the frog in ever increasingly hot water, 350 a month for a mooring I remember it as being reasonable. And I think maybe 900 for the berth inc electric, 2013. We did live on anchor in blackwattle bay for many months, at free that was definitely reasonable.
Tiki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 01:23   #7

Yes, a good example of the frog scenario.

I am reasonably certain I will be have some degree of free choice in where I work. So I figured I'd come at it from the pragmatic side and build a list of suitable locations that allowed me to save money, then try to find work near one of those locations.
Old 13-09-2017, 01:58   #8

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yes, a good example of the frog scenario.

I am reasonably certain I will be have some degree of free choice in where I work. So I figured I'd come at it from the pragmatic side and build a list of suitable locations that allowed me to save money, then try to find work near one of those locations.
I reckon you should talk to Jim & Ann.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 02:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
I reckon you should talk to Jim & Ann.

Yep, I am kind of waiting for them to pipe up. :^)
Old 13-09-2017, 09:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
Piles in Brisbane River - right in the centre of the city. Good for a heavy mono as the ferry wakes rock lighter boats.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thumbs up on Brisbane. I spent two weeks on those piles right in the middle of the city; it's a great location. Close to stores, cafe's and probably work if you want it. Water taxis running up and down the river, other public transportation also. Everyone friendly except for the customs officer when we checked if from Fiji; he promptly confiscated all our containers of reconstituted milk. Lots of girls named Sheila there, which I thought was strange.
Old 13-09-2017, 16:30   #11

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

You can put your own mooring down here in Ulmarra as there are still 2 spots available. The Clarence river here is fresh water so no fouling of the bottom. Grafton is very close by and a good size town for Australia. There are 2 long time liveaboards here and only 4 boats. There's a new million dollar dock in town that you can tie too now and then and water available. Allen Lucas spends a lot of time here. You can also anchor near the moorings as the holding ground is very good.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 18:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
You can put your own mooring down here in Ulmarra as there are still 2 spots available. The Clarence river here is fresh water so no fouling of the bottom. Grafton is very close by and a good size town for Australia. There are 2 long time liveaboards here and only 4 boats. There's a new million dollar dock in town that you can tie too now and then and water available. Allen Lucas spends a lot of time here. You can also anchor near the moorings as the holding ground is very good.
Thanks P&J, that's EXACTLY the sort of thing I had in mind. (I've also heard good things about the Clarence from other yotties.) I am looking at Google Earth views of Ulmarra now but cannot figure out where the boats go. Are you able to elaborate on where the mooring field is in relation to the town?
Old 13-09-2017, 18:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
It was good to read about these, albeit in a kind of negative way.

I think it sort of clarified something in my mind, I THINK I am really looking for something away from the big cities. I kind of feel like plonking myself in the middle of a big city defeats the purpose (at least my purpose) a little.

So thanks to those making suggestions near town, but I think I am looking a little more for fresh air and quiet nights. I have had about enough of suburbia for now.

Brisbane is still a good region, but I suppose I would be looking for the far, far outer regions of what people might call the Brisbane area.

Matt
Old 13-09-2017, 18:38   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Brisbane is still a good region, but I suppose I would be looking for the far, far outer regions of what people might call the Brisbane area.

Matt
Try south of Hobart but do make sure ya heater is working...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 18:44   #15

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Thanks P&J, that's EXACTLY the sort of thing I had in mind. (I've also heard good things about the Clarence from other yotties.) I am looking at Google Earth views of Ulmarra now but cannot figure out where the boats go. Are you able to elaborate on where the mooring field is in relation to the town?
There are 4 moorings across the river opposite the village...... can't really call it a town. It's an 8 minute drive to Grafton. There are quite a few very good wharf's/docks along the river where you can stay for a few nights at no cost. There's no crime in Ulmarra. Our place is always unlocked.Not much worth stealing though.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, east coast, liveaboard