Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-05-2013, 12:32   #1

Liveaboard in the DC area?

Anyone liveaboard in the DC area? I was looking at the option of working out of IAD airport and was wondering if there are any liveaboard marinas on the Potomac.

Thanks for the info..

Old 16-05-2013, 12:35   #2

Boat: Hylas 44
Re: Liveaboard in the DC area?

try Gangplank in SW DC.

Old 17-05-2013, 05:37   #3

Gangplank, unfortunately, has a waiting list unless you buy a boat that comes with a slip there (or a slip that comes with a boat?) There's also Tantallon (Ft Washington) which has less of a liveaboard community and fewer amenities but may not have a wait.

Depending on your work hours and how many times you have to do the commute, you may look farther: non-rush hours I can routinely make Annapolis-Herndon in about 75 minutes (not speeding!). Also, Metro is being extended out to IAD, so that may give you another option. And from Annapolis, from the time you leave your slip to the time you're sailing the Bay is about 10 minutes.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 07:12   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

There's also a marina at Buzzard's Pt. on the Anacostia River. They may take live-aboards. There are also a few marinas in Alexandria, VA.

Unless you enjoy spending half your days sitting in traffic you really don't want to consider commuting from a marina on the Chesapeake to IAD. I commuted from Solomons, MD to Reston, VA (about 10 miles short of IAD) for the last 6 months before retiring. It was brutal. Initially it took 2 - 3 hours each way trying to get to the office by 8:00 AM. Fortunately I had flexible hours and left Solomons at 4:30 AM and arrived in Reston around 6:00 AM. I then left around 3:00PM and arrived back at the boat a little before 5:00PM. Still that was over 3 hours/day in my car - not fun.

John
Old 18-05-2013, 23:40   #5

I only have to drive to IAD roughly once a week to do a trip so a longer drive isn't a deal breaker. I see there are some options farther down the Potomac as well. Ideally about an hour away would be nice but I'd be flexible for something farther away.
Old 20-05-2013, 05:49   #6

Boat: 42' Sportfish

If you have driving flexibility, it can matter a lot to you boating whether you're on the Potomac or the Chesapeake (assuming you'll take the boat out of the slip from time to time).

-Chris
Old 21-07-2013, 09:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERJpilot View Post
Anyone liveaboard in the DC area? I was looking at the option of working out of IAD airport and was wondering if there are any liveaboard marinas on the Potomac.

Thanks for the info..
You might consider Herrington Harbor (North or South) in Deale, MD. A friend keeps his boat there and lives in Arlington. Only a 30-45 min drive. Has lots of amenities.
Old 08-09-2013, 14:32   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 44ft

Just received info back from Tantallon myself. I was inquiring about liveaboard berthing. They have slips available now for 60' or less. Also, if you have animals, dogs especially 2 is the limit.
Old 08-09-2013, 15:41   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERJpilot View Post
I only have to drive to IAD roughly once a week to do a trip so a longer drive isn't a deal breaker. I see there are some options farther down the Potomac as well. Ideally about an hour away would be nice but I'd be flexible for something farther away.
I lived aboard and commuted into DCA to fly the shuttle out of LGA from a small marina just upriver from the bridge between Eastport and Annapolis on the Annapolis side of Spa Creek. By land it's off a little alley just behind the big Catholic Church but I can't remember the name of it. That was about 15 years ago so their liveaboard policy may have changed but I was just by there and the marina still is in business. I liked the location because it's easy walking distance to the center of town, reasonably priced, and downtown Annapolis is a fun place to be!
Old 08-09-2013, 17:15   #10
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPSailor View Post
You might consider Herrington Harbor (North or South) in Deale, MD. A friend keeps his boat there and lives in Arlington. Only a 30-45 min drive. Has lots of amenities.
I used to live in Northern VA and kept our boat in Deale. It is a good location away from the traffic on Hwy 50. Herrington Harbour North is a quick 20 mins from ADW. You should be able to make IAD in about 75 minutes, either going around 495 or through DC depending on the time of day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: