Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 00:41   #1

Boat: I don't own one just yet. I'm hoping to buy one very soon.
liveaboard in Portland Oregon?

Hello members,

My name is Rob and this is my first time visiting this forum and I am also a first time sailor. So I'm wondering if anyone knows a marina in the Portland Oregon area that allows liveaboard that doesn't require having a credit score of 635 or higher. I've already been to Columbia Crossings and I didn't meet their requirements due to not having a high credit score. The location will not really matter if I need to go as far as Hood River or Scapposse. I just need to be able to get to work in a timely matter. I'm also looking for a boat yard were I can work on a sailboat while living aboard the vessel, as it would be my place of residence. I plan on buying a sailboat and I want to be able to do all the mainetance before I launch the boat in the water. So if anyone might have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I hope I can gain some knowledge from other members on this forum site.

Thanks
Rob.
claytona57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 05:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: liveaboard in Portland Oregon?

Rob, Welcome to the community and good luck with your search. I'm far from the PNW with nothing for your questions, but we have many members in your area. Keep us posted of your adventures.
Old 22-02-2016, 06:08   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytona57 View Post
Hello members,

My name is Rob and this is my first time visiting this forum and I am also a first time sailor. So I'm wondering if anyone knows a marina in the Portland Oregon area that allows liveaboard that doesn't require having a credit score of 635 or higher. I've already been to Columbia Crossings and I didn't meet their requirements due to not having a high credit score. The location will not really matter if I need to go as far as Hood River or Scapposse. I just need to be able to get to work in a timely matter. I'm also looking for a boat yard were I can work on a sailboat while living aboard the vessel, as it would be my place of residence. I plan on buying a sailboat and I want to be able to do all the mainetance before I launch the boat in the water. So if anyone might have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I hope I can gain some knowledge from other members on this forum site.

Thanks
Rob.
Most marinas will present you with the sometimes mythical multi year waitlist when you enquire about living aboard.

The credit score is a new one. We've found that having a boat that sails, as opposed to one that is perceived to just be a place to live seems to count for something. Maybe you can offer to pay a few months upfront.

Having vessel insurance is also mandatory these days. After the recent sinking of an abandoned ketch in Berkeley marina there is a renewed emphasis on checking all boats are documented, insured and are owned by people who can pay their bills. Previously these checks were only completed upon arrival.

About time in our view. There are plenty of poorly maintained vessels leaking diesel and effluent that clearly arent in serviceable condition.

Being in a marina with well maintained vessels that are sailed regularly is far more enjoyable than being surrounded by junkers.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 12:47   #4

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

I wish you luck with your search. Keep us posted. Don't forget to hop the bridge to Vancouver to check out their marinas as well.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-02-2016, 00:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

You could try not telling you're living aboard...
Columbia county doesn't seem to like live aboards. Houseboats look to be ok. I assume it's the sewage hook up. Columbia county doesn't want any gray water going into the river, but it's ok for Portland to dump sewage in periods of heavy rain. Go figure.
I stay at a private dock on the lower Columbia and that solves a lot of problems. If I wasn't here I'd look for another private dock. No spots here.
It's too far, but docks catering to commercial fishing are much less of a problem. Some have a rule that requires you to leave the dock once a month.
One option I have seen is to anchor and rent a space for a tender. The money you save could go to a generator and diesel. I've seen anchored boats at the upstream end of Haden Island with a skiff on the beach. I don't know how that works out for them or if they get hassled. Hood River could be a tough commute in the winter.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, oregon, portland