Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 12:58   #1

Liveaboard in Miami?

Hello:
I am new to the sailing community and I am getting ready to make the move offshore and live aboard. I've always wanted to enjoy the freedom that it brings. A few changes in my life have forced me to simplify everything and the time is right.

I wanted to ask anyone a question about marinas vs mooring. Here in Miami it is quite expensive to live in the marinas and the waiting list can be long plus.

I have my own business from home so as long as I have internet access via an aircard, I can run the business.

Any suggestions for finding a suitable mooring location? Any requirements? Power source? I've done some reading about it but perhaps someone who is currently doing it can help.

Tks.

Sylaubh
Miami, FL
sylaubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 13:28   #2

I don’t know anything about Miami marina dockage/mooring prices, but I would expect it to be expensive especially for living aboard. You might be able to find some private "backyard" slips available at more reasonable prices.

OTOH, if you want a real change in your life, the Bahamas are only a day sail away. A one year cruising permit for the Bahamas for a 35+ foot boat costs $300. Not sure about aircards, but there are many places in the Bahamas where you can anchor for free and still have wireless Internet access.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 13:31   #3

Tks Slomotion: Unfortunately I have to stay local. I've researched some private slips along the Miami river but the home owners are hesitant to rent to liveaboards.
Old 05-06-2009, 14:17   #4

If you can go up to Ft. Lauderdale, there are some liveaboard slips that might be reasonable cost for you. Also take a look at Key Largo. Marina there was very reasonable for me back in 2005.

Check craigslist and also here:

Dockage
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 14:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Sylaubh,

Welcome to the forum. So basically two questions, mooring and power?

Mooring
- Check latest regulations and restrictions in FL and Dade as rules are changing quickly. Some areas may no longer allow long term liveaboards. If you search this forum you will find a LOT of discussion on this issue.
- Need a spot where your anchor can dig in and hold you safely in a strong wind.
- Need a spot where you will be somewhat protected from wind and waves, so behind an island or point of land.

Power source
- Depends a lot on how much power you will be using. Things like refrigerators, air conditioning, electric appliances use the most on a daily basis. For air conditioning especially you will need to plug in at a marina or need a AC generator on the boat.
- If you don't need the big items listed above you can run off the boat's batteries which you will recharge from running your engine, solar panels or wind generator.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 14:51   #6

Tks Speedoo. I bookmarked Dockage and there are some in Central Broward that seem reasonable. I also looked into Key Largo and they seemed to be less expensive and I am sure the view is phenomenal.
Old 05-06-2009, 14:57   #7

Skipmac:

Do you recommend both solar and wind as sources of power? I'd only use a coffee maker, my laptop and the fridge. I don't own a TV and have no intention of moving aboard to spend beautiful sunsets watching foxnews.....no way my friend!

I've been reading a lot of the postings in this site and it is certainly an education.
I appreciate the willingness of so many to share their experiences. It is very refreshing to see that.
Old 05-06-2009, 15:22   #8

Slips in marinas usually provide shore power, and you usually pay extra for it. If instead you are on a mooring, you need to run on battery power and have an alternate way to charge your batteries. Your choices are the engine, solar, wind, a portable or marine generator, or some combination thereof. In a Florida marina, you will get a lot of sun, but marinas are often positioned to provide protection from prevailing weather and wind power may not be cost effective. Even a small refrigerator on a boat in south Florida will use a significant amount of power.

Old 05-06-2009, 15:29   #9

Don't forget lights and fans. And, if it were me, definitely air conditioning for a lot of the time.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 15:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
And, if it were me, definitely air conditioning for a lot of the time.
Yup, we spent some miserable nights while refitting our boat in a slip in Tampa in the summer. Once we started cruising and anchoring out, we never again wished for air conditioning. There’s usually some breeze even just a little off shore which combined with solar fans will keep you comfortable for free. Of course, I have a talent for inadvertently finding windy "protected" anchorages.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylaubh View Post
Skipmac:

Do you recommend both solar and wind as sources of power? I'd only use a coffee maker, my laptop and the fridge. I don't own a TV and have no intention of moving aboard to spend beautiful sunsets watching foxnews.....no way my friend!

I've been reading a lot of the postings in this site and it is certainly an education.
I appreciate the willingness of so many to share their experiences. It is very refreshing to see that.
Which power sources to use depends on a lot of factors. Again total power requirements are the first consideration. Figure out how much all your electric needs will draw and then the charging capacity to get that amount back into your system. A lot of cruisers and live aboards use both.

You will also have to look at your boat. Is there a place to mount a large solar panel or a wind generator? Are you in an area where there is enough sun or wind to generate power? Miami in general the sun will be fine but winds in the summer can be pretty calm.

Some boats use only the engine alternator for charging which certainly works, especially if you have a large alternator installed, but consider the extra wear on the engine and the noise while charging.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, miami