Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 09:23   #1

Liveaboard in Los Angeles

A series of fortuitous events has led me to be able to finally pursue a couple of dreams I've had for the 28 years so far of my life- to move 3,000 miles away from my home on the East Coast, where I have lived my entire life; to study music with some of the best individuals in the world and have access to university facilities without having to register; to be in a place where a lot of music is happening with many connections set up before I go there; and last but not least, to have the money and time to be able to purchase a boat, with the goal of living upon it.

I've found several good prospects for boats I'd be interested in getting (move date is not until November) but the problem appears to be with finding a slip that has live-aboard status. Apparently the city of LA in most cases will only allow one to be on a boat 3 nights out of the week, and live-aboard slips with official certification are few and far between. In the case that I can't find anything (does anyone have any suggestions? I will be making plenty of calls in a week when I return to the US from abroad; right now I'm limited to emails and it hasn't been going well- the few slips there are seem to have a loooong waitlist), does anyone know how strict they are about the 3 nights a week thing? Everything else about this issue seems to be going along so swimmingly that I'm tempted to give whatever marina I stay at the slip about the slip (groan). Any ideas or experience would be appreciated. I probably will mostly be at the boat to sleep and that's it- occasional trips if I have a day off from working, but mostly I'll be hanging at my various jobs or the university.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:47   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In your situation, I don't think I'd try to make all the arrangements via email before I made the move to the Best Coast. If you've got contacts here already, why not see if you can crash with someone while you learn the city and its culture. That would give you the chance to better check the liveaboard situation out first-hand, as well as actually be aboard the boats you're considering.

Trust me, it's always a buyer's market when it comes to boats, and the current economic facts of life only enhance that. If you're a serious buyer (which is to say, have the money in hand) you're in a perfect position to grind out a good deal. You can probably even use your advantage as a buyer-able-to-perform to force a desperate seller to find you a solution to the liveaboard problem.

LA's a great place, but it's different from, well, any other in lots of ways. It takes time to adjust to, even if it's just to learn the rhythm of the freeways and where everything is. Some people never make the adjustment and head back to their comfortable former lives quickly.

If you have the backbone and thick skin you'll need to make a career in the music biz, there won't be much that you'll let stand in your way in the rest of your life. Good luck to you.

TaoJones
Old 08-08-2010, 10:05   #3

I'll be going out there a couple of times to check everything out and start learning the lay of the land before I make the final move, but I plan on getting everything out of the East coast for good in November. I definitely wouldn't dream of getting a situation lined up without seeing it/them in person!
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:23   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I'll be going out there a couple of times to check everything out and start learning the lay of the land before I make the final move, but I plan on getting everything out of the East coast for good in November. I definitely wouldn't dream of getting a situation lined up without seeing it/them in person!
what tao jones said with addition of--i lived in port of lost angels for long time--1990-1995---then moved involuntarily to sin diego--the port of lost angels can be a beautiful place at dawn and dusk. is very busy and dirty in daylight. there is usually a long -years-wait to get the 10 percent of the live aboard slips and at a charge of minimum 150 extra per month. you might consider long beach and ventura and oxnard as well as port--also king harbor and other marinas in redondo beach and in marina del rey. all are close to lost angels by car.
goodluck and happy hunting--may the gods of available slippage be kindly to you.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard