Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2017, 11:12   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Liveaboard in bay area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If you have a good credit rating, slips open up.
Right. No harbor staff is going to run a credit check on you unless you've already got all the other qualifications and they also have available liveaboard slips. In other words, if a credit check is performed at all (never, in my experience) you will have already been shown any available liveaboard slips. They're not going to say, "Well, we only tell the very best candidates about these special secret slips, but since you have a credit rating of 750, now we feel we can show them to you."

If you're on a marina's liveaboard waiting list, they're going to offer slips as they open up to the top names on the list. Having a good credit rating doesn't change that.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 11:58   #32

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Right. No harbor staff is going to run a credit check on you
If you're on a marina's liveaboard waiting list, they're going to offer slips as they open up to the top names on the list. Having a good credit rating doesn't change that.
That was not our experience. Loch Lomand did run a check and we got a liveaboard slip in no time.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 12:12   #33
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
That was not our experience. Loch Lomand did run a check and we got a liveaboard slip in no time.
Yes, but did they tell you there were liveaboard slips available pending your good credit? You inferred that a credit check would be run and if it turned out to be good, then a slip magically appeared.

And to be clear, while I have rented numerous slips in the Bay Area, I have never requested a liveaboard slip. Perhaps that's a completely different kettle of fish, credit-wise.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 11:46   #34

Can anyone else weigh in on the question of getting a monthly slip and just anchoring out several nights of the week?

I have a job in east bay and will acquire a slip there, I have no issue spending nights in RB or any place in the bay area in general.

I am tired of the bay areas ridiculous fees for living, so I am split between this and living in a converted apartment van. I prefer a boat as it is more exciting and peaceful, however the price per month is higher (maintenance and harbor fees)
erased is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard